Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

changed pressure question
RE: changed pressure question
(07-24-2019, 04:06 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: You seem to be doing pretty good here and I’ll comment on your original question. Your fixed CPAzpbpressure was probably set at your 90% pressure which is standard practice. Lower pressure works pretty well go a lot of people and very high fixed pressure is kind of an archaic approach in an era of good auto CPAP, but as I said it’s common.

That said I like a minimum of 8.0 for you, and would stick with EPR 2 for now.

Thanks for the feedback.  So you think the 5-7 range was a fluke with it not impacting me much that night?

Go with a range of 8-14?
Post Reply Post Reply
Are all OA positional or only when they are lumped together like in some of my charts? If not positional, why does the pressure not max out when they occur?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2019, 02:10 PM)Sleepy8989 Wrote: Are all OA positional or only when they are lumped together like in some of my charts?  If not positional, why does the pressure not max out when they occur?

Are all OA positional or only when they are lumped together like in some of my charts? No.  The positional that doctors care about is from back vs. side vs. stomach sleeping,  The clumping indicates chin tucking.

If not positional, why does the pressure not max out when they occur?  Positional has nothing to do with pressure rising.  Flow Limits, Snores, Hypopneas, and Obstructive Apneas do, depending on the extent and duration of the events as seen by your machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is my most recent night.  I have attached the full night and zoomed in.  I hade some CA events about 02:45 to 03:30.  The pressure didn't increase to try to stop them.  Is there a reason for this?

Thanks.

Full Night

Zoomed in

Post Reply Post Reply
An APAP will not raise pressure with the detection of Clear Airway events. Raising pressure may increase Clear Airways.

The only time you should see a rise in pressure is to treat Obstructives, Hypopneas, Flow Limitation and Snores.

What is your EPR setting? Try EPR 1 or off if CA’s persist.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Besides what OpalRose said, your CA's are in clusters and not distributed throughout the night. This would lead me to speculate that you were probably turning over or repositioning yourself.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-01-2019, 01:52 PM)OpalRose Wrote: An APAP will not raise pressure with the detection of Clear Airway events.  Raising pressure may increase Clear Airways.  

The only time you should see a rise in pressure is to treat Obstructives, Hypopneas, Flow Limitation and Snores.

What is your EPR setting?  Try EPR 1 or off if CA’s persist.

Thanks.  Will monitor for a bit.  

Interesting that the machine can tell when it is a Clear airway vs the others.
Post Reply Post Reply
When the CPAP senses the lack of respiration, ii uses pulses of air that are akin to sonar. If it gets a return then something is blocking the airway (OA), no return then it must be a clear airway (CA). That's the simple explanation.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
And an even more confusing explanation....

A Clear Airway is when your brain forgets to tell you to breathe. The Airway is open, but you are not attempting to breathe. The pulses of air that the machine sends can detect this as a CA, and will not raise pressure.

An Obstructive is when your Airway is collapsing, but you are attempting to breathe. The pulses of air can detect this effort to breathe, flags it as Obstructive and raises pressure.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
And just to keep it REALLY confusing: sometimes you are awake and not breathing while you e.g. turn over or rearrange your hose or your covers. When we're awake, our breathing is quite irregular compared to asleep breathing. You can notice this sometimes during the day, e.g., when you realize you haven't been breathing while you concentrate on something.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Changed to Airsense 11, few CA's Stubert 10 325 03-18-2024, 05:23 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Felt like I was suffocating last night! Changed too many Clinical Settings at once. JoshuaApneaProblems 3 359 01-17-2024, 05:56 AM
Last Post: Muggzy
  Can high loop gain be changed? NoddingHacker 2 391 01-05-2024, 12:33 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  HELP! Granddaughter changed settings on Dreamstaton jdmedic 3 337 01-02-2024, 09:48 AM
Last Post: jdmedic
  Pressure Support Question MrIvanDrago 16 1,287 01-02-2024, 04:55 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Changed my mother over to APAP Mode: Phaleronic 2 382 12-11-2023, 05:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,643 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.