Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

changed pressure question
changed pressure question
I have been lurking for awhile and decided to try a few things that others have posted here.

My machine was set to 11 full time.  Based on others, I wanted to try the APAP that my Resmed machine has.  

I thought I had set the machine to 7-14, but somehow set it to 5-7.  I don't think I locked in the 7-14 when I was messing with the numbers.  It was my first time in the setting menu.  

I figured my AHI would be off the charts, it wasn't.  My pressure peaked at 7, but there was not any crazy AHIs, it was less than 4.

When I did set it to 7-14, I had an average of 8.92, with peaks in the 12+ range.  

So was the 5-7 a fluke?  Did my sleep apnea go away?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: changed pressure question
I doubt your apnea went away. The higher pressure may have caused more central apneas. It's hard to know without more data. I assume your machine is an airsense 10 autoset. It is fully data capable and you should take advantage of that by downloading and installing free OSCAR software (link at top of page). You will then able to post data in the forum per the instructions in the link below. You will need an SD card if your machine did not come with one. Any SD card will do. I suggest at least 8GB to hold several years of data. If you have a copy of youe sleep study please post it with personal data redacted. If not, do you know the AHI from youe sleep study? Were you diagnosed as mild, moderate, or severe? Did it mention central apneas? All this information will help us advise you. Otherwise we're just shooting in the dark.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
worse results with higher pressure could have been a bad night. could be pressure induced central apnea. could be... hard to say.

you'll get better responses if you provide more info.

what model resmed machine do you have?
how long have you been cpap-ing?
what is the breakdown of your events at the 2 different settings you mentioned?
what is the breakdown of your events during your untreated sleep study (not the titration study although that info might be useful too)?
how did you arrive at the fixed setting of 11?

download oscar from this site, accumulate a night or more of data and post your data charts so folks can see what's going on.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2019, 05:18 PM)Melman Wrote: I doubt your apnea went away. The higher pressure may have caused more central apneas. It's hard to know without more data. I assume your machine is an airsense 10 autoset. It is fully data capable and you should take advantage of that by downloading and installing free OSCAR software (link at top of page). You will then able to post data in the forum per the instructions in the link below. You will need an SD card if your machine did not come with one. Any SD card will do. I suggest at least 8GB to hold several years of data. If you have a copy of youe sleep study please post it with personal data redacted. If not, do you know the AHI from youe sleep study? Were you diagnosed as mild, moderate, or severe? Did it mention central apneas? All this information will help us advise you. Otherwise we're just shooting in the dark.

Yes, I have an airsense 10 autoset. I was diagnosed with borderline moderate, 13.8.  I will upload the logs later tonight when I get home. 

I was not clear with what I typed above.  I tried to correct it but I can't find the edit function.  

When I said this I was referring to pressure “When I did set it to 7-14, I had an average of 8.92, with peaks in the 12+ range” I was referring to pressure ranges, not AHI.  My AHI’s remained below 4.

It just seemed odd that the 5-7 pressure range didn't show a higher AHI, when the 7-14 range used much more pressure to get the same AHIs.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2019, 05:20 PM)sheepless Wrote: worse results with higher pressure could have been a bad night.  could be pressure induced central apnea.  could be... hard to say.

you'll get better responses if you provide more info.

what model resmed machine do you have?
how long have you been cpap-ing?
what is the breakdown of your events at the 2 different settings you mentioned?
what is the breakdown of your events during your untreated sleep study (not the titration study although that info might be useful too)?
how did you arrive at the fixed setting of 11?

download oscar from this site, accumulate a night or more of data and post your data charts so folks can see what's going on.

Will do about the charts.

I have the Airsense 10 autoset.  
almost 2 years
Will upload that data later.
I will look for the untreated sleep study numbers
the sleep clinic set it to 11 after my second study.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2019, 05:06 PM)Sleepy8989 Wrote: I figured my AHI would be off the charts, it wasn't.  My pressure peaked at 7, but there was not any crazy AHIs, it was less than 4.

It could be positional apnea. When you roll over on your back, for example, your pressure needs may go higher. And you just happened to not do that.

You do need the OSCAR software to be able to figure out anything of genuine value.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are my charts.  

I attached the 5-7 range I tried, the 6-14 range and a test of fixed 4.2 that I forgot I tried.  

The 5-7 maxed out several times at the pressure of 7.  The machine settings says 5-14, but it was set at 5-7, not sure why it did this.  

The 6-14 ranged up and down as expected, up to 13.74

The fixed 4.2 didn't have events outside of the positional ones.  Was this a fluke?  Why would the 6-14 range up to 13 with an average of 8.18 while the 4.2 had no events.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
We like consistency is results. Well your CA numbers are typically consistently inconsistent. This is normal. And then you have daily variations. This is why we ask for all your posts about your therapy to be in a single thread. It provides a history.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am not sure what you are saying.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2019, 05:18 PM)The Melman Wrote: I doubt your apnea went away. The higher pressure may have caused more central apneas. It's hard to know without more data. I assume your machine is an airsense 10 autoset. It is fully data capable and you should take advantage of that by downloading and installing free OSCAR software (link at top of page). You will then able to post data in the forum per the instructions in the link below. You will need an SD card if your machine did not come with one. Any SD card will do. I suggest at least 8GB to hold several years of data. If you have a copy of youe sleep study please post it with personal data redacted. If not, do you know the AHI from youe sleep study? Were you diagnosed as mild, moderate, or severe? Did it mention central apneas? All this information will help us advise you. Otherwise we're just shooting in the dark.

(07-17-2019, 08:03 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(07-17-2019, 05:06 PM)Sleepy8989 Wrote: I figured my AHI would be off the charts, it wasn't.  My pressure peaked at 7, but there was not any crazy AHIs, it was less than 4.

It could be positional apnea. When you roll over on your back, for example, your pressure needs may go higher. And you just happened to not do that.

You do need the OSCAR software to be able to figure out anything of genuine value.

I have attached my charts.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Changed to Airsense 11, few CA's Stubert 10 417 03-18-2024, 05:23 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Felt like I was suffocating last night! Changed too many Clinical Settings at once. JoshuaApneaProblems 3 393 01-17-2024, 05:56 AM
Last Post: Muggzy
  Can high loop gain be changed? NoddingHacker 2 430 01-05-2024, 12:33 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  HELP! Granddaughter changed settings on Dreamstaton jdmedic 3 362 01-02-2024, 09:48 AM
Last Post: jdmedic
  Pressure Support Question MrIvanDrago 16 1,408 01-02-2024, 04:55 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Changed my mother over to APAP Mode: Phaleronic 2 400 12-11-2023, 05:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 19,028 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.