Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

changed pressure question
RE: changed pressure question
So it looks like positional has creeped back in?  I have been sleeping on my side.  Can side sleeping cause this?  Maybe rolling onto my back?

So the best option is to use a soft collar?  If so, where to purchase?  

Should I use 1 or 2 pillows?

So frustrating this started after a year.  

Post Reply Post Reply
The new Soft Cervical Collar wiki is in my signature links. We are not concerned with what you buy, and it may take some experimentation to find what works best for you. In general, 1-pillow should be enough to support your head and neck comfortably. Excess height can cause the neck to flex which is the root cause of most positional apnea. Chin-tucking can occur on your side as well as your back, so the soft collar addresses both.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-12-2019, 11:21 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: The new Soft Cervical Collar wiki is in my signature links.  We are not concerned with what you buy, and it may take some experimentation to find what works best for you.  In general, 1-pillow should be enough to support your head and neck comfortably.  Excess height can cause the neck to flex which is the root cause of most positional apnea.  Chin-tucking can occur on your side as well as your back, so the soft collar addresses both.

Thanks.  I ordered one to try.  Just really frustrating this started out of the blue again.  Had it in July and now.  Not sure what changed.
Post Reply Post Reply
So this is with a Soft Cervical Collar. 

It still looks like positional, right?  Any other ideas.  It seems random, some nights it happens, others it does not. 

Post Reply Post Reply
I should review your thread before commenting but for now: I'm not sure the collar has much effect on ca clusters. I'd be looking for other things. your flow limitations aren't bad at .04 and .33 (95 and 99%-tiles). have you tried lowering and/or turning epr off and/or a fixed pressure? have you been able to determine if your ca is 'native' vs treatment emergent (did you have much ca in your sleep study?).
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-19-2019, 02:19 PM)Sleepy8989 Wrote: So this is with a Soft Cervical Collar. 

It still looks like positional, right?  Any other ideas.  It seems random, some nights it happens, others it does not. 

To me it looks like REM based CA’s rather than positional especially if the collar does not change anything. Looks like you need an ASV or turn off the EPR again
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-19-2019, 02:43 PM)sheepless Wrote: I should review your thread before commenting but for now: I'm not sure the collar has much effect on ca clusters.  I'd be looking for other things.  your flow limitations aren't bad at .04 and .33 (95 and 99%-tiles).  have you tried lowering and/or turning epr off and/or a fixed pressure?  have you been able to determine if your ca is 'native' vs treatment emergent (did you have much ca in your sleep study?).

I ordered the collar based off or recommendations here from it being positional related.   Not a big deal if it does not work.  Had to try.   

I turned off EPR and it did not work well.  It gave me aerophagia (think that is what it is called.  

I can try a fixed pressure.  Maybe 9.5 or 10? 

I had zero CA's on my sleep study.  It seems treatment emergent. I have always had a few looking back over the software, a few here and there, nothing like this.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-19-2019, 02:52 PM)jaswilliams Wrote:
(09-19-2019, 02:19 PM)Sleepy8989 Wrote: So this is with a Soft Cervical Collar. 

To me it looks like REM based CA’s rather than positional especially if the collar does not change anything. Looks like you need an ASV or turn off the EPR again

So this could develop that quickly?  The first 7 days of September my AHI averaged 1.94.  The next 6 days it was 12.4.

Would a fixed pressure be better?  I tried turning off the EFR and it didn't do so well.  I will turn it down to 1.
Post Reply Post Reply
Central Sleep Apnoea can be consistently inconsistent, try 1 EPR we need to look at trends over time our target is an AHI of less than 2
Post Reply Post Reply
The "best" way to turn off EPR on an AutoSet to maintain the current EPAP is as follows

Min Pressure = current_min_pressure - EPR
Max Pressure = no change (adjust later if needed)
EPR = off or 0
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Changed to Airsense 11, few CA's Stubert 10 411 03-18-2024, 05:23 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Felt like I was suffocating last night! Changed too many Clinical Settings at once. JoshuaApneaProblems 3 393 01-17-2024, 05:56 AM
Last Post: Muggzy
  Can high loop gain be changed? NoddingHacker 2 430 01-05-2024, 12:33 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  HELP! Granddaughter changed settings on Dreamstaton jdmedic 3 361 01-02-2024, 09:48 AM
Last Post: jdmedic
  Pressure Support Question MrIvanDrago 16 1,405 01-02-2024, 04:55 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Changed my mother over to APAP Mode: Phaleronic 2 400 12-11-2023, 05:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 19,005 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.