Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

changing from CPAP to APAP- which pressure to use?
changing from CPAP to APAP- which pressure to use?
Hello, 

I'm few years using CPAP with fixed pressure of 11 (starting at 9, 5 min ramp up). i want to try now APAP (auto) mode (i have remstar auto CPAP device).

Which min /max pressure should i use to start from?

Based on sleepyhead, my average AHI for past 12 month was 3.89. First night i have tried APAP with min 8/max 14, AHI was 1.75.

I have attached screenshot of statistics

Regards, Alex

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: changing from CPAP to APAP- which pressure to use?
Actually looking at your stats I'd probably set min to 11cm.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2017, 02:02 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Actually looking at your stats I'd probably set min to 11cm.

Why?
Post Reply Post Reply
Your 90% pressure is 13cm. Rule of thumb is to set the minimum 2cm below the 90% pressure. That's what I'd do.
It's just my opinion though.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I used to sleep with 11 in CPAP mode and AHE was below 5. It was just i day as i have changed myself to APAP and used default setting of min 8 max 14 in auto mode.I'm thinking to change to min 9 max 12
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with walla walla.

Looks like your AHI is better when the pressure is able to titrate up to 13 cmH2O. why would you want to prevent that and set the max to 12?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2017, 03:50 PM)dmeRT Wrote: I agree with walla walla.  

Looks like your AHI is better when the pressure is able to titrate up to 13 cmH2O.  why would you want to prevent that and set the max to 12?

Exactly, why would he?
My machine is limited at 20, though it has never gone higher than 12,5, so why limit the machine at such a low pressure?
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, do you want to say that for APAP mode best is to setup max to 20 and min to 0, i.e. fully rely that it will self adjust as needed?
Post Reply Post Reply
The minimum pressure you want close to the pressure required to get rid of obstructions. If you started at say four you'd end up with a lot of apnea events before the pressure reached the pressure needed to stop them. Now the max pressure you want to allow enough room in case you require extra pressure at any given time. Pressure requirements change hour to hour and day to day. Setting the max pressure all the way to 20cm can result in pressures running away due to leaks. If you capped it at a say 15cm than even if you have a large leak the machines not going to run the pressure all the way up.

Hope I didn't miss spell too many words.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Hello,

i want to share my charts from Nov. 22 (while using CPAP with 11), Nov. 30 (APAP min8 max 14) and Dec. 2nd (APAP min 11 max 15). Maybe some experts can have a look  if latest setting is good or still require some adjustments (APAP min 11 max 15).

[Image: z5bkzHYm.jpg]
[Image: lh84crrm.jpg]
[Image: nnQDnvjm.jpg]
[Image: pHm2XP3m.jpg]
[Image: wWaTmEam.jpg]
[Image: yfJU7Aim.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 372 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 576 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 434 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,422 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,150 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 588 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.