Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

cheek puffing causing me to open mouth
cheek puffing causing me to open mouth
Hello,

Well I've been really trying to use all of the suggestions you all have shared with me on getting more sleep and using my machine more.

Good news is I had 6 hours on the machine last night, bad news only 4 hours of sleep with wakings. A couple of times these wakings were caused by my cheeks filling with air forcing me to mouth breath. I looked at my data this morning and it said 18L/MN, but because I don't have a fully data capable machine I have no way in knowing the exact extent of those leaks.

I'm feeling even more cognitively impaired as the days go by, be that true or just a result of the sleep deprivation and OSA is anyone's guess. I just want to do everything I can to make this therapy work, but feel like I'm failing in all areas.

I tried on a full face mask at the DME's, but it's too claustrophobic for me. Do any of you have any suggestions on how to stop this puffy cheek/mouth breathing?

One last thing is it normal to have air coming from the front of the mask?

I'm sorry if I'm posting too much, I don't mean to be a pest.

Thank you in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: cheek puffing causing me to open mouth
You're going to have to train yourself to block the pressure using the back of your tongue against the soft palate. The best way is to wear the mask with the machine on a while when you are awake. Letting your tongue rest at the roof of your mouth behind your teeth will become second nature. Once you allow the pressure into your mouth, it will blow up your cheeks and emerge past your lips.

All masks exhaust some air to ensure you don't re-breath air, and the supply is fresh. On the P10 that exhaust is a fine mesh that quietly releases air from the mask body that holds the pillows.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My mask blows air out the front and keeps curious cats at bay. Love that about it.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
There's a chin strap of sorts called the PAPcap that is designed to help cut down on the puff-cheek / lip leaking phenomenon. It does actually work. I used it for quite some time. My problem was though that I was having to sleep on my back which made the cap slip forward, releasing the tension. The Ruby chin strap kinda sorta worked for me but not enough. In the end, I just gave up and got a full face mask. I didn't lip leak for years and suddenly started. I think it is a teeth issue.

There are some tongue tricks to try and the PAPCap can help with that as you learn them.

Review thread:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-Pur-Sleep
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2015, 04:13 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: You're going to have to train yourself to block the pressure using the back of your tongue against the soft palate. The best way is to wear the mask with the machine on a while when you are awake. Letting your tongue rest at the roof of your mouth behind your teeth will become second nature. Once you allow the pressure into your mouth, it will blow up your cheeks and emerge past your lips.

All masks exhaust some air to ensure you don't re-breath air, and the supply is fresh. On the P10 that exhaust is a fine mesh that quietly releases air from the mask body that holds the pillows.

Thank you. I've been practicing that method, as I read it somewhere on here in another post. I guess I've not gotten it down pat yet.

Yes, that is the area that I was talking about that's leaking air, so I guess I'm ok in that matter.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2015, 06:14 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: There's a chin strap of sorts called the PAPcap that is designed to help cut down on the puff-cheek / lip leaking phenomenon. It does actually work. I used it for quite some time. My problem was though that I was having to sleep on my back which made the cap slip forward, releasing the tension. The Ruby chin strap kinda sorta worked for me but not enough. In the end, I just gave up and got a full face mask. I didn't lip leak for years and suddenly started. I think it is a teeth issue.

There are some tongue tricks to try and the PAPCap can help with that as you learn them.

Review thread:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-Pur-Sleep

Thank you for the link and the information on the PAPCap. I will look into it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been experiencing the same thing lately and it's very annoying and wakes me up. I thought I was keeping my tongue at the roof of my mouth but I guess not. Either my tongue is getting tired of stayin' up there or I'm tired of keeping it up there. I feel as though I just started this but that's not true because I've been at this for several years. Tried a chin strap but couldn't deal with it, so I guess I have to try harder - don't like that it wakes me.

I've been reading your posts and you're doing really well. It's not easy when you first start, but I can tell you'll be just fine! Tongue at roof of mouth, right? Sleep-well I just had to use one of those cute thingies, lol.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2015, 12:46 AM)PositiveMe123 Wrote: I have been experiencing the same thing lately and it's very annoying and wakes me up. I thought I was keeping my tongue at the roof of my mouth but I guess not. Either my tongue is getting tired of stayin' up there or I'm tired of keeping it up there. I feel as though I just started this but that's not true because I've been at this for several years. Tried a chin strap but couldn't deal with it, so I guess I have to try harder - don't like that it wakes me.

I've been reading your posts and you're doing really well. It's not easy when you first start, but I can tell you'll be just fine! Tongue at roof of mouth, right? Sleep-well I just had to use one of those cute thingies, lol.

Thank you for your vote of confidence. Yes, this is definitely difficult to say the least. I'm struggling still with not getting enough sleep and therefore not getting all of the possible healing that I could be getting. But, I'm still here..still trying.
Post Reply Post Reply
for some reason I thought you were taking your machine back and getting an auto or full data capable machine after you got a new script from your doctor. did I confuse you with someone else? If not, take it back and exchange it before it is too late. an auto could help with this problem along with a chin strap if necessary
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dawn,

Have you tried any nasal masks? The reason I am asking is even before my septoplasty, I was able to use my elan cloth mask when I couldn't use nasal pillows. Perhaps it might be worth a shot?

Another thing to consider is the Aloha Nasal Pillow mask has alot more air than the P10. Perhaps that might be worth trying to see if that solves the problem?

You're absolutely not posting too much so please put that thought out of our mind.

49er

(07-15-2015, 04:04 PM)mzdawn74 Wrote: Hello,

Well I've been really trying to use all of the suggestions you all have shared with me on getting more sleep and using my machine more.

Good news is I had 6 hours on the machine last night, bad news only 4 hours of sleep with wakings. A couple of times these wakings were caused by my cheeks filling with air forcing me to mouth breath. I looked at my data this morning and it said 18L/MN, but because I don't have a fully data capable machine I have no way in knowing the exact extent of those leaks.

I'm feeling even more cognitively impaired as the days go by, be that true or just a result of the sleep deprivation and OSA is anyone's guess. I just want to do everything I can to make this therapy work, but feel like I'm failing in all areas.

I tried on a full face mask at the DME's, but it's too claustrophobic for me. Do any of you have any suggestions on how to stop this puffy cheek/mouth breathing?

One last thing is it normal to have air coming from the front of the mask?

I'm sorry if I'm posting too much, I don't mean to be a pest.

Thank you in advance.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 12 846 5 hours ago
Last Post: SeePak
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 2 113 04-17-2024, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Hurdsy
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 3 224 04-15-2024, 09:01 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 114 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 139 35,670 04-12-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Sheepish
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 7 638 03-29-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 4 199 03-29-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.