Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

chest implant for hard to treat sleep apnea
chest implant for hard to treat sleep apnea
http://consumer.healthday.com/general-he...83611.html

just found this article. In case the link doesn't work, there have been trials with a pacemaker device sending electrical impulses to a nerve that controls the tongue and maintains muscle tone in the upper airway. Interesting. Anyone have this done or know anyone who has?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: chest implant for hard to treat sleep apnea
Interesting article. 124 patients for one year with no mention of a control group that they monitored for the same time period that used alternative treatment, i.e., CPAP, is not a large enough group for a long enough period of time IMHO. It is possible that it holds some promise but I am still all for noninvasive treatment for myself and anyone else with OSA. However, I understand that there are those that just cannot make CPAP happen no matter how hard they try and a lot of these people don't have a support system to help them overcome problems they face while trying to adjust to CPAP therapy. I think more research is needed but I would not discount this as a possible treatment in the future....if that had been done with CPAP, a lot of people could have died, had severe heart disease, diabetes and a multitude of other health problems.

What I would love to see happen is to see support groups crop up for those with OSA. I am sure that there are some available but it isn't widespread. This forum is the best support group that I have found. There is a wealth of information here as well as many people that will step in to help in any situation that someone is facing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Something like this might have helped my father; by the time he was diagnosed with Sleep apnea he had dementia so badly that he had decided that he was NOT going to wear a CPAP/BiPAP mask no matter What. Even during his stay in Cardiac Intensive Care, where the ratio of nurse to patient was 1 to 1, and they even finally poesy (sp?) tied his hands down to keep him from ripping the mask off his face did not stop him from removing the mask by moving his head enough to dislodge the mask. The medical staff finally gave up trying to have him use a CPAP/BiPAP mask.
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
Fort those interested in apnea support groups, they seem to be available across the country, and they offer a "start your own" program, looked interesting. Too tired to read it all right now....

http://www.sleepapnea.org/support/a.w.a....k-map.html
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2014, 01:07 AM)Galactus Wrote: Fort those interested in apnea support groups, they seem to be available across the country, and they offer a "start your own" program, looked interesting. Too tired to read it all right now....

Thanks for the link. I heard of this before.

I am sure they are a good resource but most of them only meet every 3 months and we all know that issues don't always lend themselves to that schedule.

In the state where I live, there is one group and it is in a remote area of the state which I was surprised to see.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been all over the road with this sleep apnea thing and the only thing that I know for sure that works for sleeplessness at night in terms of a chest implant is a wooden stake through the heart. Interesting article though and I intend to pursue it to see what I can see.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Educate, Advocate, Contemplate.
Herein lies personal opinion, no professional advice, which ALL are well advised to seek.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2014, 08:35 AM)me50 Wrote:
(10-08-2014, 01:07 AM)Galactus Wrote: Fort those interested in apnea support groups, they seem to be available across the country, and they offer a "start your own" program, looked interesting. Too tired to read it all right now....

I am sure they are a good resource but most of them only meet every 3 months and we all know that issues don't always lend themselves to that schedule.

In the state where I live, there is one group and it is in a remote area of the state which I was surprised to see.

Very true as these problems are indeed immediate. hey we could start our own group Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2014, 05:43 PM)Galactus Wrote:
(10-08-2014, 08:35 AM)me50 Wrote:

Very true as these problems are indeed immediate. hey we could start our own group Big Grin

I think someone has already started our group and you are a member lol
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2014, 07:49 PM)me50 Wrote:
(10-08-2014, 05:43 PM)Galactus Wrote:
(10-08-2014, 08:35 AM)me50 Wrote: Thanks for the link. I heard of this before.

I think someone has already started our group and you are a member lol

Damnit! How did we let them beat us to it? I found a club that would have me as a member? Crazy clubs! Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 231 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 65 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 351 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 291 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 126 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.