Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

chin strap v mouth tape
RE: chin strap v mouth tape
Agreed. 9 months of using the  FFM (different types) >>>> desert mouth whenever the leaks recur. Did manage to control this with the right size headgear and correct pillow set up, but the FFM gave me other problems.

With a nasal pillow (P30i) I can only achieve low leak rates if I (i) use a neck collar, and (ii) mouth tape and (iii) correct pillow set up and (iv) with the Tongue Trick you will find discussed on this board: (just go to the Search page)

For me the Soft Cervical reduces chin tucking due to flexion, lateral flexion and rotation of the neck and narrowing of the airways. Much lower FL, therefore much lower pressure spikes and therefore far fewer leak problems.

Somnifix: too narrow, hole in the middle is a great idea but too small.

I too am pretty much converted to the BSN Fixomull for sensitive skin. It is pretty pricey, bulk buy online. Major benefit is I can use each 12 cm strip for up to 6 nights in a row. It's very easy to remove, and sticks really well. No damage to the skin, remember to use some lip balm (lip ice/chapstick) to the sensitive part of the lips. I cut a small vent hole in the middle, that is pretty much my set up for the moment.

Chin straps never worked for me I tried them all and modified them this way and that. 

This is all very personal and needs trial and error. Definitely worth persevering. 

Let us know how you get on!
Post Reply Post Reply
A product to protect our tender lip skin is a non-alcohol base skin prep that people with ostomies have used for ages to protect their skin underneath an ostomy external pouch. It also fills out the skin layers, so that your tape or somnistrip can stick eveninly.
Most recently there is a non-alcohol type, one from Amazon is Safe n' Simple No Sting Skin Prep Wipes, Unscented & Alcohol Free Skin Barrier Wipes, Soft Skin Prep Pads for Adhesive, 75 Individually Wrapped Ostomy Wipes.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, good to know! Many thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-18-2022, 10:31 PM)David Clark Wrote: I'm not knocking chinstraps, collars or tape at all. I've tried the strap and I've got a collar but I haven't tried it yet. Haven't got any mouth tape yet...but instead of doing all that for mouth breathing wouldn't it be easier to just use a FFM? I think that may be the direction I'm heading. I'd love to just use my nasal cushion mask but I just don't think I'm going to be able to keep my mouth completely closed on it's own.  I don't think it's so much that I breathe through my mouth as it is once I go to sleep and relax my mouth cracks open and/or the pressure may cause it to open some.

I use a F20 and still open my mouth. since I'm a side sleeper, too often i wake up because my face is wet with drool. I have to wipe my face and the mask off/dry both before i can go back to sleep
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Novel alternative to tape? HalfAsleep 0 22 1 hour ago
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 12 852 7 hours ago
Last Post: SeePak
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 2 113 04-17-2024, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Hurdsy
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 114 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Chin Tucking as cause of apnea ejbpesca 119 6,744 04-12-2024, 01:32 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 7 638 03-29-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 4 199 03-29-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.