Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

chin strap v mouth tape
RE: chin strap v mouth tape
I've used a chin strap, the Knightsbridge one, and 2" width BSN (Leukoplast) Cover Roll tape for the past 8 or so months with the best success. I use the following masks, P10, Vitera and N20.

I know in the summer months I'll probably not wear the cap, as it's a warm cap, so I'll switch to the larger (4") BSN cover roll tape which I cut to go across my lips and drops down to cover below my chin. This I think keeps my jaw from slipping when relaxing and opening my mouth.

I've tried the Somnifix...that did not work at all. The 3M micropore tape was a bit successful, but was really a pain to deal with when removing the tape.
I've tried the cervical collar and that didn't work, but did alleviate clusters of events prior to training myself to sleep on my side and using a cpap pillow.

I've tried FFM, those didn't work well at all and I think that has to do with my facial structure. Always had leaks right at the side of the lips to the chin area. This was with the F30i, and F&P Simplus masks.

Hopefully you'll find a solution.
Post Reply Post Reply
nightgagger; anything specific that made the Solmnix fail to meet your needs?
Resmed Airsense 11/Resmed N20 memory foam mask,cervical collar, MyAir software, OSCAR for data analysis
Post Reply Post Reply
Been using 3M Nexcare for sensitive skin…works perfectly. Tried the silicone tape and it fell off in the middle of the night about 3 times so I scrapped it. Cover-Roll, although a great product, was too difficult to remove and left red marks on my face where the tape was. Also had a similar problem with the white 3M Nexcare paper tape. Those X shape adhesives aren’t that good. I used them and will use one when I take a nap until they are gone. Also, not totally sold on a FFM when having mouth breathing since one’s jaw can drop regardless of mask use. LankyLefty27 just did an interesting video on this subject.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2022, 11:53 AM)cberistain Wrote: nightgagger; anything specific that made the Solmnix fail to meet your needs?

The tape would just peel off.  Most likely due to a small amount of drool getting onto the adhesive.  Also, I don't think it was wide enough and the corners of my mouth would just open up.
The only time that the tape worked was when I would use it for short 30 minute naps.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2022, 01:30 AM)clownbell Wrote: I read a post (forget which forum) about a product named MedVance silicone tape 2" wide. I got it at Amazon. It is comfortable, seals very well, and seems gentle on my 76-year-old skin when removed. In my case, my jaw falls slack when I sleep (not a mouth breather during the day). Leak is now negligible, and the small remaining leaks are mask leaks not mouth leaks. Dry mouth is gone. Great stuff. Highly recommended.

I use the Medvance too and I like it a lot.  It is extremely comfortable, removes easily, and can be used for numerous nights before I need to replace it.  I tend to be a drooler, even with my mouth fully closed, so I've begun to use a piece that is almost six inches long.  This is working great.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
David, your question is quite logical.  However, the experience across the heavy preponderance of users of face masks who have turned to them to rectify mouth breathing have not found relief that way.  At the least, a great many still open their mouths, even if still encased in the full-coverage mask, but when they breathe in and out again, even with the 'humidified' air, they often awaken to terribly dry mouth, sometimes well before their normal awakening time....which is to be avoided as anyone over the age of about 50 knows.

I won't go on to say, and therefor it's not a solution.  For some it has worked well as one would think it should.  For many , only the cervical collar, chin strap, or tape have done sufficiently well that they could put that unhappy experience behind them.
Post Reply Post Reply
Funny you should say that about waking with a dry mouth. That actually happened to me last night and I lay there thinking..."I didn't think that was supposed to happen with a full face mask."...and I am over 50.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2022, 07:14 PM)mesenteria wrote Wrote: the experience across the heavy preponderance of users of face masks who have turned to them to rectify mouth breathing have not found relief that way.  At the least, a great many still open their mouths, even if still encased in the full-coverage mask, but when they breathe in and out again, even with the 'humidified' air, they often awaken to terribly dry mouth, sometimes well before their normal awakening time

IMO Mesenteria hit the nail right on the head. I have tried FFMs. My jaw goes slack after I fall asleep and sometimes this breaks the FFM seal. Whether the seal breaks or not, even with humidified air, I typically wake to a sahara desert dry mouth with the tongue sticking to the roof of the mouth. I have tried shin cstraps but they are uncomfortable. I have not tried cervical collars because they would tend to be hot and sweaty in my case. For me (and I realize that people's experiences will vary), taping with the MedVance has solved the problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-18-2022, 06:12 PM)mesenteria Wrote: Some find the cervical collars just as intolerable as they do the chin straps, and if the objection to the latter is due to heat and sweat, the same goes for the collar.  My wife is in that boat.

I have not tried the sominfix.  I use widely available 3M NexCare white 'water resistant' tape in a plastic spool with cylinder cover.  But the tape must go over the mouth, and it must extend about 3/8" beyond the corners.  

Press it firmly into place with finger tips, several dabs with stiffened fingers.

Fold over a small tab at one end.  You'll want to grab at that in a hurry at least once a year when you get seasonal stuffiness or rhinitis and awaken to find yourself starving of air.  Mark my words.  I'm up to three such events in four years.

Do NOT use the tan coloured 3M tape.  You'll lose skin if you are older and have thin skin. 

No matter what you use, take your time peeling it off your lips, again especially if you are older than about 65 and have fragile and thin skin.  I was cautioned about this by a nurse who ought to know.
Thanks mesenteria, I learned a lot.

I worked at 3M factory for 15 years. Used to visit the company store. They used to sell tape to us that they couldn't sell to the public.  Maybe my tape is left over from that previious life.  I should get some of what you recommend.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using the Cover Roll tape with good success. I found the Somnifix isn't sticky enough, nor large enough. I've also had to cut back on the beard and mustache since the hairs allow air to escape. With the Cover Roll, I cut the length I need, then stick it to my shirt about 3 times to help make it less sticky. And yes, I fold the corners over. But I still found too much leakage from the Cover Roll due to it being "air permeable" -- so I double layer it. Also, before I put the first layer on, I put on some chapstick and I pull my lips in before taping. And if removing the tape is painful, I use my tongue to get it wet and that seems to help. I tried FFM, and it doesn't work for me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 33 10 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 376 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 806 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,165 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.