Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

chin strap v mouth tape
chin strap v mouth tape
I'm a confirmed mouth breather and use an adjustable chin strap with the P10 nasal pillow mask. The chin strap works for me and prevents mouth breathing. But looking forward to the summer months when it is hot, I'm looking for alternate ways to keep my mouth closed. Mouth tape appears to be a good alternative, so I purchased tape that is in the form of an "x" and fits across the middle of the mouth. Adhesive is very good and seems like a quality product. I've used it for two nights and the results are not good. when I'm asleep, air streams out of the side of my mouth like "burps" .. kept me awake and had about 13% of the time with excessive leakage.

so, the bottom line for me is: mouth tape is not for me, but I can easily see why it works for others.

I was hoping that wearing the chin strap for over 3 months now, my mouth would be trained to stay closed ..  :-(
Resmed Airsense 11/Resmed N20 memory foam mask,cervical collar, MyAir software, OSCAR for data analysis
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: chin strap v mouth tape
Before you give up on tape, please try tape that covers your whole mouth. You might, for example, invest in a box of Somnifix strips to see how that works for you. And there are cheaper rolls of tape that you can use; look for non-porous tape that is used to secure bandages or cover wounds. For tape from a roll, be sure to fold back a little piece on one end so you can grab it to pull the tape off.
Post Reply Post Reply
FYI, a soft cervical collar is another solution for mouth breathing
Post Reply Post Reply
i wear a cervical collar 95% of the time with the P10 pillow mask & chin strap.  i get excellent results with this setup
Resmed Airsense 11/Resmed N20 memory foam mask,cervical collar, MyAir software, OSCAR for data analysis
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-18-2022, 01:29 PM)Dormeo Wrote: Before you give up on tape, please try tape that covers your whole mouth.  You might, for example, invest in a box of Somnifix strips to see how that works for you.  And there are cheaper rolls of tape that you can use; look for non-porous tape that is used to secure bandages or cover wounds.  For tape from a roll, be sure to fold back a little piece on one end so you can grab it to pull the tape off.

i will definitely give the Somnifix a try.  thanks for the info
Post Reply Post Reply
on order... most all suppliers are out of stock.. bought directly from Somnifix        
will let you  know after I  try it out.. it does look better than the "X" type of strips
Post Reply Post Reply
Some find the cervical collars just as intolerable as they do the chin straps, and if the objection to the latter is due to heat and sweat, the same goes for the collar.  My wife is in that boat.

I have not tried the sominfix.  I use widely available 3M NexCare white 'water resistant' tape in a plastic spool with cylinder cover.  But the tape must go over the mouth, and it must extend about 3/8" beyond the corners.  

Press it firmly into place with finger tips, several dabs with stiffened fingers.

Fold over a small tab at one end.  You'll want to grab at that in a hurry at least once a year when you get seasonal stuffiness or rhinitis and awaken to find yourself starving of air.  Mark my words.  I'm up to three such events in four years.

Do NOT use the tan coloured 3M tape.  You'll lose skin if you are older and have thin skin. 

No matter what you use, take your time peeling it off your lips, again especially if you are older than about 65 and have fragile and thin skin.  I was cautioned about this by a nurse who ought to know.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not knocking chinstraps, collars or tape at all. I've tried the strap and I've got a collar but I haven't tried it yet. Haven't got any mouth tape yet...but instead of doing all that for mouth breathing wouldn't it be easier to just use a FFM? I think that may be the direction I'm heading. I'd love to just use my nasal cushion mask but I just don't think I'm going to be able to keep my mouth completely closed on it's own. I don't think it's so much that I breathe through my mouth as it is once I go to sleep and relax my mouth cracks open and/or the pressure may cause it to open some.
Post Reply Post Reply
For 3.5 years I used nasal pillows and chin strap.  Chin strap actually kind of drives me crazy so many nights I would just rip it off in the middle of the night.  Now I no longer use the chin strap and it appears my mouth stays shut now.  When I used the chin strap, I too would have air seep out of the side of my mouth.

My only flaw right now is the head gear. It is simply too big, or maybe b/c my weight fluctates so much it stretches it and then when I lose weight my head gets smaller. Who knows. It really ticks me off that insurance only covers 1 headgear every 6 months.  Head gear is like the main thing I would change weekly or bi-weekly if I could.
Post Reply Post Reply
I read a post (forget which forum) about a product named MedVance silicone tape 2" wide. I got it at Amazon. It is comfortable, seals very well, and seems gentle on my 76-year-old skin when removed. In my case, my jaw falls slack when I sleep (not a mouth breather during the day). Leak is now negligible, and the small remaining leaks are mask leaks not mouth leaks. Dry mouth is gone. Great stuff. Highly recommended.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 353 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 308 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 225 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 794 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,163 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 5 594 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.