Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

claustrophobic - Which mask?
claustrophobic - Which mask?
Hi Folks,

I have been diagnost with severe sleep apena and I have to use CPAP machine. No other option will work at this point. My index is 101. However I am very claustrophobic and hate having anything around my nose and mouth. When i went for sleep study I tried nose only mask and it seemed to be OK. Does anyone in my situation have any suggestion. I am going got mask tryout sometimes next week so I am not sure what machine I will get but if you can recommend what mask to get, it will help me make a choice.

Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: claustrophobic - Which mask?
Hi skunumber and welcome
Mask is hard to recommend as everyone is different but folks around here are nuts about ResMed P10 nasal pillows.
In general nasal pillows are light and doesn't cover the face
Here is a guide may helps choosing the right machine http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_choices

Good luck

Post Reply Post Reply
I would second zonk's suggestion of Resmed P10 nasal pillows mask. It's the mask with least contact area and least no. of moving parts.

Ultimately, everyone finally comes to the P10 on their Cpap journey. Why prolong the journey when you can reach the destination straight away.

The resmed P10....Because 'Resistance is futile!'
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I was given a P10 during my titration study and found something digging into my upper lip; most uncomfortable!
I have been using an AirFit N10 nasal mask and a Wisp nasal mask much more successfully. Neither has a forehead brace, so the view is unobstructed.

Lots of choices out there, you may have to try a few before you settle on something.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm in a different camp. I don't like anything pushing against my nostrils, but I'm ok with a nasal mask. Perhaps someday I'll try the P10 longer and see if I can get used to it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the smallest mask available, I think, and love it. It is the Respironics DreamWear. I think it is OK to post the link, below, since they don't sell anything--the picture on this webpage is a man wearing it. I had the fairly small Wisp, but didn't like the straps on my head.
http://www.dreammapper.com/
Post Reply Post Reply
You may find nasal pillows to be more claustrophobic over time. If it is smothering that bothers you, you may prefer a full face mask. If it is minimalistic contact you need, then nasal pillows are the way to go. I find my full face mask to be less confining than my nasal pillows. It feels more open. I often felt smothered with the nasal pillows and would have to pull it way from my face to get a breath. I knew I was not suffocating, but that is what it felt like in my head. Your machine should come with some sort of exhale relief settings. When you are trying out masks, you may have to change that, too, especially with nasal pillows.

Contrary to the suggestions above, try as many masks as you can. Not just one particular one because the DME (supplier) says they "sell more of these". Maybe they sell more because that's what they keep pushing. Maybe they keep pushing it because it is the one with the biggest profit margin. Be proactive in this endeavor.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi skunumber,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might have to try quite a few masks before you find the one that works for you, so don’t be shy about asking to try as many as you need.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you start your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Nuance pillows, Eason nasal mask, Simplus FFM. FITLIFE total face
One of those should fill the bill.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,209 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,754 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,423 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,832 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Personal Experience On Nasal Mask Compared with Full Face Mask ramphil2019 19 4,529 04-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Last Post: ramphil2019

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.