Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

cleaning advice
RE: cleaning advice
Well I hate to admit it but I will chalk it up to being a newbie....I was so careful to use hypoallergenic soap when washing my swift fx for her...thought I was being careful due to my allergies. Unfortunately I got stuffy nose and watery eyes, but I knew it wasn't "August hayfever" because when I went back to my nasal mask, it didn't happen.Thanks to suggestions of people on forum I tried vinegar and water for the last two nights instead, and what do you know....turns out my hypoallergenic soap had SCENT in it! Duhhh..........No more problems! Swift FX for her is the mask for me!

Just wanted to suggest to those with pillows and stuffy nose...double check what you are using to wash your pillows..... i bought some Johnsons baby shampoo and even that had a sweet scent...

Signed, (embarrassed) Oops Oak
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't be embarrassed. When I was looking for an unscented soap, I went into 3 different drug stores and 2 different grocery stores before I found a store that sells "natural" products. And even then, there was only one brand that was actually unscented.

It still has an odour, though. Fortunately the odour disappears from the hose (the main culprit in odour retention, I've found) after an hour or so under the blower. So, I simply make sure I reconnect everything and turn on the machine with the mask just sitting there an hour or so before I want to go to bed. [ I did mention in another thread that I have auto-off disabled for exactly this reason ].
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-07-2013, 10:38 AM)Paptillian Wrote: Just a word of caution, the standard H5i tub has an aluminum base. It's only the dishwasher-safe tub with the stainless steel base that can be put in the washer.

I dishwashed my non-dishwashable "non-openable" H5i water tank every other week for about a year and it was still fine. I did open it up before washing.

It is good to have a dishwashable tank, however, and I now have two of those and switch them.

You don't really need to "disinfect" the parts, just clean them well. They won't be sterile once air starts blowing through them.

I have occasionally decided to disinfect equipment, such as when I've bought something used. I prefer a hot water soak. As long as you have a spare set, in case of damage, most of the stuff can be disinfected by hot water. I boil a big pot of water, let it boil, then turn off the heat, drop in the CPAP parts, cover, and let them soak.

I don't do this to any foam or fabric parts.

Hoses, especially "short hoses" that are parts of masks, need a little more temperature control. I do a similar trick, but measure the water temperature and time.

Here are ResMed's disinfection guides.

Tubing
Masks
Humidfier

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 296 5 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 172 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 868 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,801 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 144 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 79 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 222 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.