Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

cleaning machine
Exclaimation 
cleaning machine
I just read an interesting article on Co2 and mask/machine use. 

My Co2 was nearly in the red on my last blood test.
In addition, fatigue, memory loss, and reduction in energy has been a problem for a while.

So, 

How does one clean the machine?  I have a Res Med Air Sense 10 AutoSet with a F10 nasal pillow mask.

I clean the pillow mask and tubing by soaking in vinegar and water for 30 minutes and wipe excess water out with paper towel.
Didn't know I could clean machine.
Change the filter every two months.

Does the cpap cleaning machine really work that is on amazon and showed on TV?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: cleaning machine
Never used one in all the years I have used CPAP.  There is not much inside the machine to clean really.  From the filter it goes into a chamber with a motor and a fan (which is inside it own housing) then out to the humidifier, back into the machine and straight out to the hose.  There are a few of these cleaning machines around, and you just have to ask yourself if it is worth the money. 
If your co2 is high in your blood, make sure your mask is properly vented and you are not obstructing the vent holes either deliberately or accidentality when you are sleeping.  If there is no problem there, then it is for the doctors to sort out, cleaning the machine I don't think will make any difference to your co2 levels.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2019, 08:31 AM)Mouchet Wrote: How does one clean the machine?  I have a Res Med Air Sense 10 AutoSet with a F10 nasal pillow mask.

The machine doesn't need to be cleaned under normal circumstances. None of the problems you report can be addressed by cleaning the machine. What you can do is post your OSCAR charts so we can see if possibly you need some adjustments to the pressure.

Quote:Does the cpap cleaning machine really work that is on amazon and showed on TV?

No. Even the manufacturer claims that it's no substitute for cleaning.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Mouchet,

What does the article say?  As long as it’s not commercial, you can post the article.

Im not seeing a connection between cleaning a machine and low Oxygen levels. The only maintenance on your machine should be changing out the filters at a minimum of once a month. And as long as you are not blocking the exhaust vents on your mask, then no problem there.

What did your doctor say about the low oxygen levels?  Did he recommend adding oxygen therapy to your cpap therapy?  You really need to discuss this with him/her.

What is your AHI reading and the breakdown... Obstructive, Hypopneas, Clear Airways?
Please post some data from OSCAR.

Forget spending $ on a cleaning machine, as it has nothing to do with your problem.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wink 
thank you very much for your prompt reply. I have found that I have to take my nasal pillows and my mouth. could I be doing it?

in addition I have the airfit 10 with mediem pillows.  Should I try large or small, what does everyone use?  I heard there are new masks all that are even better now.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are new masks coming out all the time, along with older ones being discontinued. What size pillows may work for one person may not work for another. Your best bet is to feel how well your current size fits, and then try something larger or smaller to see if it works better.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
With the Resmed Airfit P10, using a larger size than you think you need will nearly always work best. It flows and seals better. Try it, and decide if it feels and works better. If not, go back to the medium size.

I agree with others that a sanitizing machine is not necessary with reasonably good cleaning. I'll confess a lot of us don't do a lot of cleaning other than giving the mask cushion a quick wash and changing the water and cleaning the humidifier tray. As far as your therapy, it would be great to see some results in OSCAR or at least know what your sleep report on the machine says.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Methinks there might be some confusion, or perhaps misrepresentation, over CO2 vs. Ozone.  CO2 is what most organisms give off as a waste byproduct of metabolism.  Ozone is reactive oxygen which in high concentrations is harmful to organic materials.  In my view, those who purport to offer ozonators to clean plastic products are downright lying or they have no idea what the properties of ozone are.  I might admit, grudgingly, that they could help to eliminate odors.

I'd go with the advice of the PAP manufacturers who say to clean the machines per their instructions.
Post Reply Post Reply
So from someone that has an ozone cleaner: absolutely no one needs one of these. washing your components works just fine.
as for your CO2 level and O2 levels. This is much more complicated. You can actually get too much oxygen and this can cause you to retain too much CO2, this as far as I know can only happen with supplemental oxygen. This is really not a sleep apnea situation and you might consider seeing a Pulmonologist as they are the ones that work on oxygen/CO2 levels. Just my suggestion, as I also have oxygen level issues and use supplemental oxygen. I I have not enough oxygen I get headaches, and too much just plan feels wrong.
Post Reply Post Reply
The original post talks about CO2 and cleaning the machine. Cleaning the machine has nothing to do with CO2. The vent might affect CO2 levels, but not more than a minute after you remove the mask.
I understand Mouchet removed his mask, got out of bed, and some hours later had his blood drawn. I think your blood CO2 level has nothing to do with sleeping or CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,441 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Cleaning F20/F30 QuietAir Elbow 70sSanO 13 5,794 04-12-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Magoo905
  Cleaning the Airsense machine itself (not the mask, tube, chamber)? dharma2255 3 160 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 237 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,906 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 207 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 414 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.