Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

cleaning thread?
Money 
cleaning thread?
Hello!

I don't know if I am not using the search function adequately or if there simply is no cleaning thread? Well here it is... unless someone can help me find "the" cleaning thread...

How do you clean your equipment (i.e. hose, mask, humidifier, etc.)?

How often and with what do you clean with (i.e. vinegar or plain old hot water, everyday, once a week, etc.)? Does anyone use the *expensive* wipes for their masks?

How often do you *need* to replace the plastic equipment parts?

With my old (now confiscated) machine I used to clean the hose with my shower head daily, and just leave it to hang on hook in my room. Mask daily with mild hand soap and hot-ish water, drying it with a hand towel and leaving it to air dry.

Anybody with neat tricks to make cleaning your equipment quick, easy, hygienic, and cheap?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: cleaning thread?
Well, we've have discussed this subject numerous times. The bottom line basically is clean as often as you like, with whatever you like. Personally, I try to clean my equipment weekly, but never go longer than 2-weeks. I use an antibiotic soap and white vinegar, and then air dry everything.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
It depends on your personal level of tolerance. Some folks clean everything every day. Some clean it whenever they get around to it. Most fall in between the two.

And it depends on the use of the various pieces. If you use the humidifier a lot, you may want to clean the hose more often. Warm, moist air attracts all sorts of wonderful stuff. Nasal pillows should be washed more often because they are in such direct contact over so much of their surface.

I use the simple hand soap on the mask. I put a little bit in the sink full of hot water and drop everything in. I rub it all with my fingers and let it sit until the water cools. Then I rinse and rinse and rinse then rinse some more, set it out to dry. The hose and humidifier tank get the same treatment except I add vinegar to the water. I use tap water in my humidifier so I need the vinegar to break up the mild mineral deposits in the tank and the help get rid of anything in the hose.

I've tried the wipes. Couldn't tolerate the smell. It wouldn't go away! I don't mind citrus but not when it is being blown into my nostrils all night long.

There's a product called Control III that will kill any germ that is on anything. There's some members here who use that. You get it in a gallon jug and use it in dilution form.

There's another product called SoClean that allegedly "cleans" the stuff using ozone. I think it is looney but folks seem to like spending $200 on it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I wash my mask cushion and humidifier tub with baby shampoo and water every morning and then let them air dry. Once a week I wash my tubing with everything else, and then it all gets a soak in control 3 for 10 minutes, rinsed well, then air dried.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi TinyBubbles,
Yes, there is a lot of different advice on cleaning equipment, and several threads on the subject.

You'll find that everyone has their own system. Try to make it easy on yourself, you have enough to do everyday. :grin:

Now I wash my mask and headgear once a week. Nasal pillows every morning. Just baby shampoo or other mild cleaner like Dawn detergent and hot water. Sometimes add white vinegar.
I rinse out the humidifier every morning and let dry, then refill with distilled water.
Wash hoses once a week, hang and let dry.
OpalRose
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi TinyBubbles,
I soak my Hose, mask and humidifier chamber in warm, mild, soapy, I use Ivory Liquid dish soap,) water once a week, then I rince relly well. Then I make sure everything is dry before putting things back together for bed.
I have used the unscented wipes on mmy mask between washings, that works okay when I remember to do it.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the SoClean2 everyday which is supposed to sterilize the equipment and it's very easy to use. Then once a week I give everything a good wash using diluted Control III Disinfectant for CPAP and rinse very thoroughly. This seems to work for me, although some people are wary of the Control III after reading the label. I'm not concerned myself as its marketed by the companies in the 'Suppliers List' and I can't see how it can be dangerous if she'd correctly, as the suppliers would be open for litigation if its falsely advertised as a CPAP cleaner and disinfectant.
But everyone has their own cleaning regime and through trial and error I'm sure you will come up with a system that suits you.
Oh and as an afterthought I also use the Hurricane dryer on the basis that the equipment is dried fast in an enclosed space and should be less prone to pick up airborne bugs that may be floating around.
Failure is NOT an option.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's a question from another CPAP newbie:

I read in a book somewhere that you can clean your CPAP hose with rubbing alcohol. So, I got myself some 91% rubbing alcohol to clean my tube with. But, I just wanted to run it by everyone in the Apnea Board Forum before I did because I don't really know if that's is a good idea or not.

What does everybody think about cleaning my hose with undiluted 91% rubbing alcohol?

I really appreciate the input.

Quip
Be the change that you wish to see in the world
Post Reply Post Reply
From http://www.resmed.com/uk/en/consumer/sup...-mask.html
Please remember that you must not use solutions containing vinegar, bleach, chlorine, alcohol, aromatics, moisturisers, antibacterial agents or scented oils to clean any part of the mask system or air tubing. These solutions could cause damage and reduce the life of the product

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2015, 01:05 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: There's a product called Control III that will kill any germ that is on anything. There's some members here who use that. You get it in a gallon jug and use it in dilution form.

PaulaO2,

I have just bought the Control III solution and have a 2 oz bottle of it. However, I don't know how to dilute it, so I can clean my CPAP hose. Can you please explain to how to do this? I would greatly appreciate that. Wink

Quip
Be the change that you wish to see in the world
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,058 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,261 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 954 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,194 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Jan's - Therapy Thread Jan Flikweert 71 2,572 03-21-2024, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Jan Flikweert
  brainfoggysleeper's Therapy Thread brainfoggysleeper 23 525 03-21-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  SleepyLlama therapy thread SleepyLlama 5 230 03-20-2024, 03:30 PM
Last Post: jcp519

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.