Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

cleaning thread?
RE: cleaning thread?
Maybe I'm a bit OCD, but I clean my water tank, slimline hose, P10 tube, and of course the nasal pillows every morning and hang to dry. I've read/heard that the hoses and tank do not need daily cleaning. I've heard anywhere from 3 days to 7 for those items. But I prefer to wash them all each morning. I hang them over a towel rod which is over a heat register in the bathroom (which will only have heat weather depending).
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2015, 05:12 AM)zonk Wrote: From http://www.resmed.com/uk/en/consumer/sup...-mask.html
Please remember that you must not use solutions containing vinegar, bleach, chlorine, alcohol, aromatics, moisturisers, antibacterial agents or scented oils to clean any part of the mask system or air tubing. These solutions could cause damage and reduce the life of the product

Hi Zonk,

I really appreciate you answering my question for me. As a new PAPer, I have a quest for knowledge for anything that is pertaining to CPAPs and I read in this book "Sleep Apnea & the CPAP" that the author (of the book) routinely uses either ethyl alcohol or isopropyl alcohol to clean his tubes with!! I think knowing what you told me now about everything like alcohol, vinegar, bleach, etc . . . that the author who wrote that book should rewrite the book without telling his audience to be alcohol in their tubes.

I'm a person that is always on the cautious side of things . .. since I don't know the book author from before and I have much more knowledge about the experienced PAPers around here, I decide to post my question about rubbing alcohol. The only main problem now is I have four huge bottles on rubbing alcohol on hand (that I can't use in my tubes). I think I will use them for my Emergency First Aid kit.

Thanks again for your help, Zonk!

Thanks
Be the change that you wish to see in the world
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a very weak bleach solution monthly to kill anything. it's about the level in a swimming pool. I don't think that will shorten the life of any of the equipment
Post Reply Post Reply
Tiny bubbles, in answer to your questions:
1:Once a week
2:I use vinegar and warm water for almost everything, except for silicone parts
3:I use dish soap and warm water for the silicone parts.
4:I air dry everything. I handwash the straps once a month in warm water and soap. Air dry them afterwards.
5: My insurance company will cover mask, hose, etc every three months. But I would get a checklist of when you can order parts from your insurance or CPAP supply person. That gives you a good indication of when to replace items. Some people never seem to replace their parts (as I noticed from past and current forums), They manage to keep them in pristine condition.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been on cpap for about 7 years. In the beginning I cleaned the mask and pillows/cushion daily with Ivory Dishwashing soap. Washed the hose and humidifier tank weekly with the same soap. Once a month I washed the tank with 50/50 water and vinegar. In the last 5 years I wash the pillow/cushion daily with soap if I am using the Swift FX mask and throw in the rest of the mask sans headgear if I am using my Quattro FX. The headgear I wash in same soap once a month when I remember. I have tried Ivory Dish soap, Baby shampoo and am now using Seventh Generation Natural soap. I cannot see any difference in any of the soaps I used in regard to longevity of the pillows or cushions. I have not cleaned my hose or humidifier tank in years. I use only distilled water and make an effort not to contaminate the tank. I have not had a cold or respiratory infection since I started on the cpap. All that being said, I do not recommend my routine for cleaning as it goes against manufactures recommended procedures. You have to be comfortable with how you choose your cleaning routine which will be predicated on how much of a "germaphobe" you are.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know this is an old thread, but I am new here and don’t know how to start one.

I have my original ResMed (20 years) Swift FX with auto pressure. It is one of the older models with the one piece water chamber which cannot be opened. I am not the best at regularly cleaning my unit, (only once or twice a year ??) so after awhile it builds up a fairly impenetrable sludge (some call it pink mold but mine is clear) on the inside of the chamber. I have tried numerous times to clean it with warm soap and water, vinegar, or hydrogen peroxide, but nothing seems to remove it efficiently and effectively if at all, because of the inaccessibility of a majority of the interior of the chamber due to the small openings and awkward angles creating numerous difficult areas to reach.

I finally had an epiphany the last time I was struggling and brought out my teeth cleaning water jet machine (Waterpik or similar brand).  The standard angled, small diameter cleaning tip was perfect for aiming the high pressure water stream to access every nook and cranny and blast the sludge completely out in just a few effortless minutes! You can use it with warm water and hydrogen peroxide or vinegar for a better clean.

This has revolutionized my cleaning regimen now, and I hope this suggested method will help others struggling to clean their water chambers.?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Davebr60! - Welcome
You can find instructions on starting a new thread and general operations you can preform on the forum:
https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread...o-HOW-DO-I

This and many other topics can be found in the Member Private Area - Forum Account Help
https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-...count-Help

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's just gross. Consider upgrading your machine not just so you have better data collection, but so your health isn't endangered.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the information!

I agree Paula. But my intent was to help others who have one piece water chambers to simplify their cleaning efforts.
Have a blessed day!
Post Reply Post Reply
I clean the cushion and rinse out the tank every day.
The belts once a month and then a new filter.
I never clean the hose and never will, because only purified air comes through it and it can't get dirty or contaminated.
This is my personal opinion and everyone can do it differently.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MaggieL, Better than a Sweaty Zombie Meat Sack Therapy Thread MaggieL 37 1,070 04-16-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  sleepingbetterinFl - Therapy Thread sleepingbetterinFl 82 545 04-13-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Wjg's Therapy Thread wjg1 35 815 04-12-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: wjg1
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,963 359,273 04-12-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Cleaning F20/F30 QuietAir Elbow 70sSanO 13 5,776 04-12-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Magoo905
  [Treatment] Valtor Therapy Thread - from Autoset to Vauto Valtor 50 1,364 04-12-2024, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Cleaning the Airsense machine itself (not the mask, tube, chamber)? dharma2255 3 157 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dharma2255

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.