Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

cleaning your machine
(04-28-2017, 06:44 PM)PollCat Wrote: I use an antibacterial, liquid, hand soap for the wash, then rinsed in hot water, followed by a 15-minute soak in distilled water and white vinegar, and then rinsed again in hot water.     Banana
The real key is to periodically clean your equipment - at least monthly and preferably weekly.  oldman

I was gonna ask frequency - as I do my humidifier chamber and heated hose every 3 days and my mask daily, I seem to have oily skin cause it clouds fast on the outer membrane of my full face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
You may get a dozen answers with respect to frequency. I clean my mask cushion daily to remove skin oils. It's been at least two months since I cleaned my reservoir and hose. I check the reservoir daily when I refill it for haziness, residue, or a slimy feeling indicating bacterial growth but see nothing. I don't pour out the water remaining in the reservoir. I use distilled water to avoid mineral deposits.

Others may suggest I'm risking my life by such infrequent cleaning Smile but I'm still around. When I do clean I use Dawn dish washing detergent with warm water and rinse with warm tap water. Some will use a disinfectant as well but, in my opinion as a microbiologist, it's unnecessary.

Post Reply Post Reply
I usually wash my mask in the shower and use baby shampoo. If it was good enough for before my wife's eye surgery, it's good enough for the mask. I usually throw the humidifier tank in the dishwasher, top rack, every couple of weeks when it starts to show it needs to be washed. If the tank melts, I just grab one of the 4 or 5 I have stashed in the closet that haven't been opened. I get one from my DME every 6months whether I need it or not and can't break up the kit.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply

I use Dawn for all of my stuff except the Circadian masks. I use baby shampoo for that. For my brother's stuff, I use water/vinegar because he can't stand the Dawn after odor (I can't smell it). If I get problems with the pink slime, I found Control III works fabulous. However, since I know it's a problem in the warm months, I bought a dishwasher safe bin to use during that time.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cleaning Climate-control tube on ResMed Air Sense 10 GL Bishop 26 17,079 9 hours ago
Last Post: Walla Walla
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 28 17,165 08-04-2017, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] cleaning an old Respironics REMStarPlus with mildew in it cstrouss 4 217 07-15-2017, 06:43 PM
Last Post: cstrouss
  One week in but have cleaning questions. Waldorbigbill 26 995 07-09-2017, 07:08 PM
Last Post: personal111
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 11 634 06-05-2017, 09:04 PM
Last Post: CB91710
  cleaning jsapper55 3 381 05-22-2017, 02:45 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Cleaning Resmed AirCurve 10 smiledog 5 406 05-21-2017, 06:08 AM
Last Post: smiledog