Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: clear airway
Be sure to look at the waveforms and see how long and how completely you stop breathing.

If you don't stop breathing for too many seconds, etc., it's not that big a deal.

The other rule of thumb is that if you have less than 5 per hour, it's no big deal, as long as you're not stopping for too many seconds at a time.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
01-28-2014 10:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
c0reDump Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Quattro Air
Humidifier: H5i (distilled)
CPAP Pressure: APAP 9-17cmH2O
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

(01-28-2014 10:36 PM)archangle Wrote:  Be sure to look at the waveforms and see how long and how completely you stop breathing.

If you don't stop breathing for too many seconds, etc., it's not that big a deal.

The other rule of thumb is that if you have less than 5 per hour, it's no big deal, as long as you're not stopping for too many seconds at a time.

Easiest way in SleepyHead is to click the 'Events' tab (right above the pie chart). It breaks down all the events for the night -- the numbers in parenthesis for each event is the number of seconds it lasted.
01-28-2014 10:41 PM
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

(01-28-2014 10:41 PM)c0reDump Wrote:  
(01-28-2014 10:36 PM)archangle Wrote:  Be sure to look at the waveforms and see how long and how completely you stop breathing.

Easiest way in SleepyHead is to click the 'Events' tab (right above the pie chart). It breaks down all the events for the night -- the numbers in parenthesis for each event is the number of seconds it lasted.

Useful info, but if you go look at the actual waveform, it often doesn't really match up. i.e. the number on the event may be much longer than what you see on the waveform. I think it has to do with how the machine reacts to a complete cessation of breathing followed by a period of reduced breathing.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
01-28-2014 10:45 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Bladskinner Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed 9 Elite
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Q
Humidifier: Resumed H5 (disttilled) top up ,dish soap
CPAP Pressure: 11
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Ok so if im still having oa's should I bump up the pressure from 11 to 12?
01-28-2014 10:51 PM
Tez62 Offline

Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: Resmed
CPAP Pressure: 5-15

Other Comments:

I was going to suggest it althogh it depends on how long you have been on CPAP and how you feel the next day. If you feel the treatment is working, leave it. You could test it out for a week or two and see if your results are any better. On your charts it's saying you use the Elite (you may want to update your profile), there isn't a huge difference but give it a try and see. Just make sure you stay on it for awhile and check your results, good luck.
01-28-2014 10:57 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
c0reDump Offline

Preferred Members-2

Mask Make & Model: Quattro Air
Humidifier: H5i (distilled)
CPAP Pressure: APAP 9-17cmH2O

Other Comments:

(01-28-2014 10:45 PM)archangle Wrote:  Useful info, but if you go look at the actual waveform, it often doesn't really match up. i.e. the number on the event may be much longer than what you see on the waveform. I think it has to do with how the machine reacts to a complete cessation of breathing followed by a period of reduced breathing.

Good point -- I've noticed that on some of my events too. I like to drill in on the longest event for the night and see what the conditions were leading up to it (typically a big leak, drastic mask pressure changes, etc) -- I figure those are signs of me rolling over and forgetting to breathe Smile
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2014 11:02 PM by c0reDump.)
01-28-2014 10:59 PM
Bladskinner Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

(01-28-2014 10:59 PM)c0reDump Wrote:  
(01-28-2014 10:45 PM)archangle Wrote:  Useful info, but if you go look at the actual waveform, it often doesn't really match up. i.e. the number on the event may be much longer than what you see on the waveform. I think it has to do with how the machine reacts to a complete cessation of breathing followed by a period of reduced breathing.

Good point -- I've noticed that on some of my events too. I like to drill in on the longest event for the night and see what the conditions were leading up to it (typically a big leak, drastic mask pressure changes, etc) -- I figure those are signs of me rolling over and forgetting to breathe Smile
Epr is set at 3

(01-28-2014 10:57 PM)Tez62 Wrote:  I was going to suggest it althogh it depends on how long you have been on CPAP and how you feel the next day. If you feel the treatment is working, leave it. You could test it out for a week or two and see if your results are any better. On your charts it's saying you use the Elite (you may want to update your profile), there isn't a huge difference but give it a try and see. Just make sure you stay on it for awhile and check your results, good luck.
Thats what I have Elite. I been Cpapen for 2-1/2 months now.
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2014 11:06 PM by Bladskinner.)
01-28-2014 11:04 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

(01-28-2014 10:24 PM)Bladskinner Wrote:  Ok so clear airway doesn't mean it literaly.

Right.

I think CA may stand for Clear-airway Apnea. (It is an apnea event lasting at least 10 seconds, occurring while our airway is clear and unobstructed.)

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
01-29-2014 02:49 AM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

(01-28-2014 10:51 PM)Bladskinner Wrote:  Ok so if im still having oa's should I bump up the pressure from 11 to 12?

You could. Your AHI for that night is less than 5 which is the goal. Is that about what your number is each night? If you want to tweak the settings, then going up one notch would be a good experiment.

Any change you make, make it and leave it for about 2 weeks or more. You are looking for trends and averages, not just one night. You may want to start a kind of sleep diary. Write down what change you made and when. And then, if you want, write down what kind of day you had. High stress, fun day, bad day, good day, etc. Note how you felt in the morning. Rested, not much, lots of dreams, not many, etc. It can be as short or as elaborate as you want it to be.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-29-2014 11:32 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Bladskinner Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

(01-29-2014 11:32 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  
(01-28-2014 10:51 PM)Bladskinner Wrote:  Ok so if im still having oa's should I bump up the pressure from 11 to 12?

You could. Your AHI for that night is less than 5 which is the goal. Is that about what your number is each night? If you want to tweak the settings, then going up one notch would be a good experiment.

Any change you make, make it and leave it for about 2 weeks or more. You are looking for trends and averages, not just one night. You may want to start a kind of sleep diary. Write down what change you made and when. And then, if you want, write down what kind of day you had. High stress, fun day, bad day, good day, etc. Note how you felt in the morning. Rested, not much, lots of dreams, not many, etc. It can be as short or as elaborate as you want it to be.
That's a good idea but i'll call it a log. Lol

"Being happy doesn’t mean that everything is perfect. It means you’ve decided to look beyond the imperfections." ~Unknown
01-29-2014 11:38 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Unable to clear throat while on APAP NorthernGuy 5 308 10-17-2016 08:18 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Clear/Central Apneas, BiPAP, CO2 washout confusion. NorthernGuy 3 486 09-02-2016 09:29 AM
Last Post: PaytonA
  [Treatment] Auto CPAP, high/erratic AHI, high Clear Apneas - it's not working jmortensenjr 10 760 08-30-2016 09:07 PM
Last Post: jmortensenjr
  Can CPAP therapy cause Total Clear Airway Apneas TheLionSleeps 3 600 07-17-2016 08:39 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Survey on what pressure opens airway for you TheLionSleeps 22 1,129 07-08-2016 07:05 PM
Last Post: KSMatthew
  How to clear Fault 27 on HDM Z1 APAP? keninct 1 278 07-06-2016 03:11 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  What is "Clear Airway" it's not in the sleep disorder glossery Tiercel 8 681 06-22-2016 08:29 PM
Last Post: richb