Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed donation to ASAA
ResMed donation to ASAA
The American Sleep Apnea Association Receives Unprecedented ResMed Donation That Will Save Lives
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-ame...2014-06-30

WASHINGTON, June 30, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The American Sleep Apnea Association (ASAA) today announced that ResMed RMD -0.83% , a leading manufacturer of devices for the treatment of sleep-disordered breathing, has donated more than 10,000 continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) devices to the ASAA CPAP assistance program (CAP).

CAP is just one of the support programs offered to patients by the ASAA. It provides a package containing a CPAPdevice, tubing, filters and mask to patients who otherwise would not be able to afford this vital and lifesaving equipment for obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) therapy.

"A donation of this magnitude is unprecedented," said ASAA Executive Director Tracy R. Nasca. "The number of patients that will be touched is truly amazing; their quality of life will be improved, but more importantly, lives will be saved. We are so grateful to ResMed for recognizing the need and providing the solution."

"Making CPAP accessible to those who are in need helps us in our mission to improve the lives of those who are challenged by OSA and other sleep and respiratory conditions," said ResMed Chief Executive Officer Mick Farrell. "We're grateful that the ASAA has a program that allows us to deliver donated devices to those who need them most."

CAP was launched in 2010 as the ASAA became aware of the many sleep apnea patients who were out of work, without insurance, or facing high deductibles and thus, who through no fault of their own, simply could not afford CPAP therapy equipment. The ASAA has relied on the public and the commercial sleep industry to help with equipment donations to the program.

"Supply has always been our challenge, but thanks to ResMed, we will now be in a position to increase the reach of our program," said Nasca. Physicians and social workers can refer patients to apply for assistance at http://www.sleepapnea.org/ where forms are provided.

Another support program of the ASAA is the A.W.A.K.E. network. A.W.A.K.E. stands for Alert, Well, And Keeping Energetic. Its education and support groups are available in nearly every state, helping people face to face and free of charge. A.W.A.K.E. gives people with sleep apnea the educational tools to help manage their own diagnosis successfully.

"Our goal is to grow the number of A.W.A.K.E groups across the United States and incorporate a disaster relief program. We want to partner with groups like the American Red Cross to coordinate efforts to reach out to sleep apnea patients in dire need when disasters strike such as floods, tornados or hurricanes that devastate their communities. The ResMed donation will help the ASAA move forward to achieve that goal," Nasca said.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed donation to ASAA
Good move on ResMed's part. I wonder if that means they are coming out with a new model and are overstocked with machines. A lot of DMEs don't carry their machines anymore for some reason.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-06-2014, 06:14 AM)Lukie Wrote: Good move on ResMed's part. I wonder if that means they are coming out with a new model and are overstocked with machines. A lot of DMEs don't carry their machines anymore for some reason.
Many DMEs have quit carrying Resmed equipment due to $$$. While my preferred DME still carries their machines, it no longer carries their masks and they are unwilling to special order Resmed masks due to the cost. The DME simply does not get enough money from the insurance companies to make any profit from selling Resmed masks.

The DME was up front about this and helped existing customers like me who strongly prefer a Resmed mask to find an alternate DME that does still stock Resmed masks.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had the same unfortunate experience around Kansas City lately. The local DME I'm otherwise happy with, can't / won't even order replacement ResMed parts anymore for my ResMed Mirage Quattro. They too were gracious about referring me to alternate suppliers. I'd prefer to keep them in business and healthy (while trying to keep myself healthy first of all!)

In the long term, this bodes ill for our chances of getting medical equipment that works best, or perhaps even adequately. Oh-jeez

What are we (in the USA) going to do about it? Huh
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-06-2014, 11:22 AM)APAAW Wrote: In the long term, this bodes ill for our chances of getting medical equipment that works best, or perhaps even adequately. Oh-jeez

What are we (in the USA) going to do about it? Huh

Well, eventually, the pressure of free competition will force ResMed to become more competitive in pricing.

I suggest that we should be hessitant to get government more involved, or most patients may end up being forced to use bricks in order to lower Medicare expenditures. Often, government agencies do what is in the agency's monetary best interest, not what is in the public's best interest.

I wonder what the breakdown is on how many of each model of machine were donated. I know the ASAA had a waiting list for those hoping to receive a donated new or used bi-level machine.

It is great that the ASAA has this program and that ResMed made such a sizable donation to it. Good for them!

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(This is about appropriate medical treatment or lack thereof. It is not political, nor meant to encourage a political discussion. None of us should go there regardless. But appropriate medical care is a Hot Topic for me right now, and so here it is.)

I would prefer to agree with what you write - but my private health insurer now declines to pay for a Respironics mask as well. Supposedly they'll only pay for one of 3 Fischer & Paykel models, so I get to argue with them this week. Maybe those masks are great, maybe they won't fit me at all. I've yet to see one anywhere in fact.

Regardless, some folks in a bureaucracy with no knowledge of my physiognomy, and apparent perfect ignorance of my previous CPAP and mask difficulties, are happy to risk compromising my health for a mask that might be $20 cheaper a year for them (but won't work for me).

Where I can observe it most directly, "free competition" seems already snuffed out; and so much for "dispense as written" from my physician, for a ResMed Mirage Quattro size M, the way I remember.

The US government - whether for good, bad, or whatever - is plenty involved already - via Obamacare, Medicare, the Veteran's Administration, and TRICARE. I have no current first-hand knowledge there.

I agree, I'm glad for ASAA, and happy to see ResMed's generosity. But I'm concerned about myself and others getting stuck now and in the future with a brick and a mask that doesn't work. Been there already, thanks but no thanks.

Sometimes "free competition" means going out of business unless "too big to fail." It doesn't take much imagination to see ResMed ultimately being cut off from a big chunk of their current world-wide market. You and I risk being much the poorer in health if that happens.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-06-2014, 06:14 AM)Lukie Wrote: Good move on ResMed's part. I wonder if that means they are coming out with a new model and are overstocked with machines. A lot of DMEs don't carry their machines anymore for some reason.
DME not going to stock ResMed products if they,re not going make any profit. ResMed have rethink their pricing policy otherwise, they,re not going to do much business in US. ResMed founded in Australia with HQ location in San Diego

From, San Diego reader Dec. 19, 2012: ResMed: Please refuse to play the subsidy game
http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2012/...sidy-game/#
Post Reply Post Reply
http://www.sleepapnea.org/

Post Reply Post Reply
Very nice of them. I'll leave the motivation out of it and just say it's nice to see for whatever the reason.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Arrow NOTICE: New Donation Option SuperSleeper 0 607 10-03-2021, 11:55 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  OSCAR & Donation Posdiver 4 751 09-20-2021, 01:41 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Idea RE: New Donation Option - Patreon - CAN YOU HELP? SuperSleeper 2 1,658 06-26-2018, 12:10 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  [News] ASAA received large supply of donated equipment big_dave 0 1,326 11-28-2016, 11:34 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  ASAA support forums moved to Facebook truckerdad57 0 1,617 02-08-2015, 03:51 PM
Last Post: truckerdad57
Cool Thanks for the info - donation sent Doc J 4 2,436 12-29-2013, 03:01 PM
Last Post: Doc J
  Old CPAP equipment for donation mlee001 5 22,113 05-03-2012, 08:11 PM
Last Post: shanzlik

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.