Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Was I Cheated By The Equipment Supplier?
RE: Was I Cheated By The Equipment Supplier?
(01-01-2019, 02:56 PM)fortywinks Wrote: Even if you can find a decent used machine on Craigslist the cost of the supplies would kill you.

It ain't necessarily so. I do OK so far after firing my former sleepydoc & DME and disassociating all of my sleep-apnea activities from my insurer, and I'm retired and on a very low budget (and Medicaid). As a few folks have observed in various discussion threads lately, the insurers' replacement schedule for masks, parts, and supplies is very much overestimated. A mask will easily last a couple of years, a mask cushion or nosepiece six months to a year, a hose a year or two, a humidifier tank a couple of years at least, and so on. Filters cost me 42¢ per month and Dawn dishwashing liquid about the same.

However, the expensive part is trying various masks to find the ones that are workable for you. Even there, you can use the return-for-refund "insurance" that some online suppliers offer: pay some amount up front to have the option of getting the rest of your money back within 30 days, or whatever.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-01-2019, 02:12 PM)Melman Wrote: The people who really get ripped off by this system are those without insurance. They pay the full inflated price and don't benefit from the marked down price the insurance pays.
Except in those cases, one can simply buy consumables from one of the vendors on the list, or Amazon.
Even though my insurance covers 100% with no copay, I still buy a fair amount of equipment online.  The hoses that my DME provides are cheap junk... not actual Resmed hoses... yet they bill twice what I buy real Resmed hoses for.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-01-2019, 07:22 PM)CB91710 Wrote:
(01-01-2019, 02:12 PM)Melman Wrote: The people who really get ripped off by this system are those without insurance. They pay the full inflated price and don't benefit from the marked down price the insurance pays.
Except in those cases, one can simply buy consumables from one of the vendors on the list, or Amazon.
Even though my insurance covers 100% with no copay, I still buy a fair amount of equipment online.  The hoses that my DME provides are cheap junk... not actual Resmed hoses... yet they bill twice what I buy real Resmed hoses for.

Dispensing generic junk is a valid way for a DME to increase margins. The way around it is to use the proprietary heated hose like "Climateline", and make that part of your prescription. Filters are no big deal either way will work okay.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is how medical billing works.
The charge has no relationship to the cost and is extremely inflated.
Medicare or the insurance company pay according to a fee schedule that pays a small fraction of what they are billed.

There is no transparency.

Consumers no ability to comparison shop.

If you are paying cash God help you.

No this system does not make any sense.
Post Reply Post Reply
Looked at the billing paperwork that came with my new machine. Mask and headgear was billed as a single unit. In the past with my old unit, my Quatro FX mask was also billed as a single unit, the cushions were extra. The mask and headgear came in a manufacturer's sealed commercial packaging. With my insurance, I just look at it and say, okay, that is what I got and you paid for all of it.

I am on Medicare with a real good supplement.

Homer
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2019, 12:40 AM)joesetx Wrote: ... No this system does not make any sense.

<rant>
That's for sure. I see indications all over the place of the bureaucratic disease, whether originating with the insurance corporations or the medical-industry lobbyists or (with Medicare & Medicaid) the legions of Congressdroids over the decades. One big cause is all of those droids at various levels trying to justify their jobs. They sit around and make up stupid new rules because they have nothing better to do. They can't put some scheme in place and get it to where it's working OK and then just leave it alone. They have to keep messing with it, and inevitably it becomes a huge mess.

(Grumble, grumble ... kids these days ...)
</rant>
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry Former CPAP supplier over charging Bwanajohn51 2 169 03-16-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51
  [Equipment] Best place to buy cpap equipment in Dubai or UAE Foxhunt 6 546 02-14-2024, 11:45 PM
Last Post: Macka
  [Equipment] Beginner Must Have Equipment/Supplies PoutinePrincess 7 376 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Equipment] Successful equipment modification tcurran 8 553 01-05-2024, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  hammer44 - ASV Therapy Equipment Question hammer44 11 602 01-01-2024, 01:47 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  GRRR. DME supplier shipped ClimateLineAir Heated Tubing in a BAG DaveInDenver 4 547 11-12-2023, 10:32 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [CPAP] CPAP Equipment Selection mgonthier 1 333 09-13-2023, 06:33 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.