Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

cms50d+
cms50d+
Hello all,
I hope you can help me out here. I am a truck driver. At my last DOT physical I was told that I am a candidate for sleep apnea because my bmi is 31, I have a small chin and a large tongue and a 17 inch neck. So I ordered a home study machine and ran the test. It said I have a AHI of 5.4 and that my minimum SPO2 was 83%. I ran a cms50d+ concurrently with the test and sleepy head said no events and minimum SPO2 was 93%. I ran the CMS50D+ several more times with similar results. Does this sound right? I mean I feel as if I am being scammed. I don't snore, I am always rested after sleep, I rarely dose off unless it is something I wish to do such as a nap. I just don't get it. How could there be such a divergence in results between their machine and the CMS50+?

Thanks much

Lee Leitner
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: cms50d+
(05-10-2017, 05:51 PM)hyperionfall Wrote: Hello all,
I hope you can help me out here. I am a truck driver. At my last DOT physical I was told that I am a candidate for sleep apnea because my bmi is 31, I have a small chin and a large tongue and a 17 inch neck. So I ordered a home study machine and ran the test. It said I have a AHI of 5.4 and that my minimum SPO2 was 83%. I ran a cms50d+ concurrently with the test and sleepy head said no events and minimum SPO2 was 93%. I ran the CMS50D+ several more times with similar results. Does this sound right? I mean I feel as if I am being scammed. I don't snore, I am always rested after sleep, I rarely dose off unless it is something I wish to do such as a nap. I just don't get it. How could there be such a divergence in results between their machine and the CMS50+?

Thanks much

Lee Leitner

ahi of 5.4 is better than many have

that number does not require a pap machine 

how do you feel 
i would not trust the cms50 over the machine at all 

i know it gets hyped here a lot
but looking at the reviews turned me off on that
plus the other problems it has just running and continuing to run
Post Reply Post Reply
hyperionfall,
I'm not sure about the SpO2 device used during your sleep test but the CMS50's record a point every 6 seconds.  Movement and hitting the probe can cause erroneous values.  They will show up as downward peaks, called artifacts.   The recording software looks at all recorded points and lists the lowest recorded.  This may or my not be a valid number, just the lowest.  Your basal percent would probably be a better indicator. Take your SpO2Assistant printouts to your doctor.  I'm sure he can provide a better answer.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the responses. 
xxyzx...I feel fine. I am never fatigued. I actually do a lot of outdoors stuff and always feel great. I wake easily and am ready to go. I rarely feel the need to fall asleep during activities. I do enjoy a nap next to the pool or lake often but that is just what I have always done. I never wake in the night gasping or breathing heavy.

Crimson... the cms50 says basal is 95.7, the home sleep study says 94 basal with mean desat at 83%. I just don't get that the cms50 would not show at least one desaturation at that level if there was enough to render a diagnosis of AHI 5.4, just makes no sense. The lowest in 4 sessions with the cms50 was 94%. Just makes no sense. 
There is a lot of talk about this being a scam in the truck driving industry and I feel scammed right now.
Post Reply Post Reply
AHI is the total number of Apneas (Clear or Obstructive) plus Hypopneas and divided by the number of hours you slept. An event is defined as a period of 10 seconds or longer where respiration totally ceases or is diminished. If an event is at its minimum time, 10 seconds, I wouldn't expect to see an oxygen desaturation.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
ah ok thanks. Would you say it is normal that I feel no ill effects from an AHI of 5.4. I mean I am 52 and I always get comments from people at how energetic and active I am. I really do feel good all the time even after driving 11 hours straight. I never use "stay awake" aides, other than a cup or 2 of coffee (and it is halfcalf). I hate cafine feelings.
Post Reply Post Reply
An AHI of 5 or below is considered medically as "Treated". I believe that apnea isn't considered by insurance companies until it reaches 20 or greater.  However, you are dealing with the DOT and that's a different ballgame.  I don't know what their definition of apnea entails.  . . Sorry!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi hyperionfall,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Has the CMS50DA+ replaced the CMS50D+ ?; usage notes camper2 0 1,878 06-23-2019, 09:15 PM
Last Post: camper2
Question Contec 'CMS50D Plus' oximeter has normal flexible hinges? Albert2 3 1,284 06-17-2019, 10:57 PM
Last Post: idlewire
  CMS50F external oximeter probe on CMS50D+? rost 4 2,060 07-15-2016, 05:25 PM
Last Post: rost
  CMS50D+ Alarm? Peejay75 2 1,664 01-09-2016, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Peejay75
  Questions about CMS50D+ Pulse Oximeter Jim Bronson 14 5,299 12-13-2015, 12:21 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Still can't get CMS50D+ to work Jim Bronson 9 2,643 11-05-2015, 11:30 AM
Last Post: Jim Bronson
  CMS50D+ chart gilbert123 4 2,316 08-07-2015, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Shastzi

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.