Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

co2
co2
How does high co2 blood levels effect sleep apnea?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: co2
Low CO2 levels can cause CA events to show up. The brain stops sending the signal to breath until the CO2 levels build back up. If you don't breath for 10 seconds you get a CA event.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-13-2018, 12:56 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Low CO2 levels can cause CA events to show up. The brain stops sending the signal to breath until the CO2 levels build back up. If you don't breath for 10 seconds you get a CA event.

I don't understand the blood results then. My main problem is CA but you are saying I could get them because of low CO2? I think my medication plays a big part in this also. Can you explain to me again how the pressure support effects my CO2?
Post Reply Post Reply
If your pressure support increases it allows for a larger exchange of air which can carry too much CO2 out of your lungs. This is not the only cause of CA's though. It can also be caused by your brain simply not sending the signals like it should.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
To expand a little on what Walla Walla is saying;

CPAP has a constant flow of air being forced upon you, this extra air blows (more) carbon dioxide out and the chemoreceptors in your brain will tell you to stop breathing for a period of time to build the CO2 back up.  Often, a new CPAP user will see (more) CA events develop and will settle down after a period of use (weeks to months). 

Certain medications will also suppress breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is quite simple really, if you are breathing normally there is only a slight increase in CO2 levels in the blood during the night, but those with Sleep Apnea and Central events stop breathing during the night and this causes co2 to rise, because you are not breathing the by-products in your body build up.
This leads to a higher than normal co2 levels than people without Sleep Apnea.
Levels go up slightly in most people during the night as peoples breathing slows down, however, Apnea patients have other problems that cause it to rise higher than other people, usually due to CA events or just stopping breathing.
You take in oxygen with each breath and you expel co2 when you breath out.
Patients with Sleep Apnea also can have lower levels of oxygen in their blood before treatment, this is why they monitor your oxygen levels when you go for a sleep study.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
OK does pressure support affect the CO2 at night and if it does should pressure support behigher or lower?
Post Reply Post Reply
It's not a one shoe fits all answer. It depends on the person and what they need.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I have the same CO2 problem with centrals popping Up in my Sleepyhead screenshots. 
Should I change to BIPAP? 
Thanks a lot in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
Probably need to post in your own thread with a current sleepyhead chart.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.