Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

comfort v. apnea reduction
comfort v. apnea reduction
I'm facing a tradeoff (very newbie!):
at pressure 5, hourly apneas generally in 2-4 range, with some discomfort.
Versus pressure at 4 and less discomfort, but hourly apneas now 5-7.

I'm new at this -- should I go back to pressure of 5, and "get used to it",
or are higher apneas not of much concern so pressure of 4 is OK?

Any opinions from veterans?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: comfort v. apnea reduction
(10-18-2016, 09:58 AM)cdm807 Wrote: I'm facing a tradeoff (very newbie!):
at pressure 5, hourly apneas generally in 2-4 range, with some discomfort.
Versus pressure at 4 and less discomfort, but hourly apneas now 5-7.

I'm new at this -- should I go back to pressure of 5, and "get used to it",
or are higher apneas not of much concern so pressure of 4 is OK?

Any opinions from veterans?

My question would be "what was your prescribed pressure ?". Both 4 and 5 are extremely low and in my opinion neither are comfortable or effective treatment most cases.

Post Reply Post Reply
It depends on what the comfort issue is. If it is simply a sensation of pressure, then you should use the higher pressure and eventually you will adapt. If the higher pressure causes a problem like air ingestion, that is not likely to get better in time. Most of us use considerably higher pressures and after a while, never notice it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
As others have mentioned earlier, 4 and 5 are very low in CPAP land. I had to move mine to 6 in order to be comfortable. 4 and 5 leave me gasping for air and rapid breathing. 6 was like normal breathing. Now I have upped it to 6.4 and will probably go higher to stop the apneas.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I was started at 5 and after something like 6 months or a year, I quit using it because I felt like I was suffocating. As the above people suggest, the pressure was too low AFTER I GOT USED TO IT. While getting used to it, 5 (or even 4) was helpful.

When I finally saw my doctor again and told him I wasn't using it, he changed the pressure to 8. But I *had* gotten used to it by then.

So: start at either one, and re-ask the question or re-think the issue in a month or three or six!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 769 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  anyone with positive apnea reduction using emf shielding over bed? Pierelly 7 325 03-21-2024, 07:50 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  What is the most comfortable pressure and settings if comfort is the only goal? hejohoo 2 356 01-20-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Treatment] Very frustrated after radiofrequency tongue base reduction surgery phitom816 4 1,408 12-03-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Too Sleepy
  Did you felt better after an septoplasty and turbinate reduction? MikeR20 5 704 11-24-2023, 04:49 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Do Comfort Settings Distort Performance? Nehpets 5 517 08-31-2023, 01:48 PM
Last Post: Nehpets
  AirMini pressure too high for comfort Sleepinator 3 1,480 04-22-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Sleepinator

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.