Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Damaged ResMed S8 Autoset II
RE: Damaged ResMed S8 Autoset II
(09-15-2014, 02:17 PM)guessagain Wrote: I always dread bedtime and have a terrible time going to sleep (well I did until my dr put me on ambien)
I am actually looking forward to sleeping tonight to see if the EPR is actually the reason for the difference or if it was my imagination.
Could using EPR make the mask leaking problem better or does that make sense?

I've never actually used sleeping aids so I don't really advise whether they are a good idea or not. My inclination is "less is more" which means the least amount of drugs we take the better off we are, provided we are getting the right amount and type of sleep without them.

But I do know what it's like to dread going to bed. I did that for years. I knew I would not be comfortable and I knew I would not easily fall asleep or stay asleep. Once I started with the Apap therapy all that changed. Not just because of the machine itself but because I really worked to make sure I had a comfortable place to sleep, and I changed my mindset about going to bed. Now I look forward to going to bed. It remains one of the highlights of my day. I'm lovin' the livin.

Now then, about the EPR: It can cause your leak rates to go up in certain circumstances, but usually not at the pressures you are using so that should not be a problem. Nor is it likely that it will cause your leak rates to go down. The thing is, anytime you're altering pressure on each inhale/exhale, your changing slightly how the mask inflates. So it could have more problems with leaks.

But the clear advantage of EPR when it works for you is that you work less hard at night. Therefor you get better sleep. And if you were going to take a vote on whether it were more important that you get better sleep or is it more important that your mask doesn't have to work so hard, I'd vote for the better sleep thing.

So good job working the program. Keep it up.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Damaged ResMed S8 Autoset II
(09-15-2014, 02:17 PM)guessagain Wrote: Could using EPR make the mask leaking problem better or does that make sense?

Probably not, but it's possible. There are a lot of factors that interact, including how well you sleep.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 340 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 104 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 462 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 210 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley
Grin [Equipment] JOY! I've been swapped to a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (from a SEFAM S.Box) dbcpap 9 1,239 02-12-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Resmed Autoset 10 buzzing noise - what now? mogulman 8 593 01-16-2024, 11:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Resmed 11 autoset For Her mode help! HMG7450 10 678 11-15-2023, 10:06 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.