Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

continued requirement for increased humidity
continued requirement for increased humidity
About a month ago, I switched from my old S8 VPAP Auto 25 to my new S9 VPAP Auto without climateline tubing. While using the S8, my humidifier was set between 5 and 6. The S9 came set at 3 and I thought what the heck lets try it once just for kicks. To my great surprise, I did not have dry mouth. I used it set at 3 for a week and then began to get dry mouth. Upped it to 3.5 and that worked well for a while but started having dry mouth again. It is currently set at 4 and I am beginning to get dry mouth.

I do use Biotene for dry mouth every night just before bed. I have not paid enough attention to be able to tell if I am using more water now than at 3 but if I am it is not much more.

Any ideas out there what might be causing this? All of this is happening during a fairly humid summer.

Mongo, to answer the question that you are going to ask - yes, it is plugged in. The hose is even connected to the machine and my mask.
Rolleyes

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: continued requirement for increased humidity
The only thing that comes to mind that could be causing this is the possibility that you are blowing a different quantity of air through the system due to your changing needs. I can imagine that if a greater air pressure was pushing air through at a higher velocity the air would have a shorter residence time in the humidifier and be less saturated with moisture and not have the same effect as it did when the volume was less. I'd expect a higher water usage under that circumstance although a greater percentage of it would be wasted on the air being dumped by the mask's normal flushing bleed off. Along with that, the extra volume of air being delivered would dry your mouth more.

Have you checked to see if your pressure has a "higher than before" average overall level?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2014, 06:21 PM)PaytonA Wrote: About a month ago, I switched from my old S8 VPAP Auto 25 to my new S9 VPAP Auto without climateline tubing. While using the S8, my humidifier was set between 5 and 6. The S9 came set at 3 and I thought what the heck lets try it once just for kicks. To my great surprise, I did not have dry mouth. I used it set at 3 for a week and then began to get dry mouth. Upped it to 3.5 and that worked well for a while but started having dry mouth again. It is currently set at 4 and I am beginning to get dry mouth.

Before cooler weather starts, I suggest trying to get prepared by getting the heated hose. It allows the humidity to be higher without allowing rain out in the hose.

Some don't like to use the heated hose in hot weather.

If using heated hose on automatic climate control, the higher the hose temperature is set, the higher the air moisture content will be.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Payton, I really think the dry mouth thing has more to do with the mouth coming open than the humidity, except if your room humidity is very dry, then finding a way to add humidity to your environment might do nice things for your sinuses, and hence your tendency to open your mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not much you can do, full face mask and dry mouth goes together

Some meds can causes dry mouth too
Keep hydrated, saline sinus rinse and warm salt water gargle

Salt is a panacea for anything Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
Payton: I'm running mine with a standard hose; and set to 5.0
I use nearly the entire H5i tank each night.

Your temperature is what? Above 100F and humidity > 35% ?
You should find an outlet on the Huntington Beach Pier and sleep there.
Breakfast at Ruby's !!!!
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2014, 07:03 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: The only thing that comes to mind that could be causing this is the possibility that you are blowing a different quantity of air through the system due to your changing needs. I can imagine that if a greater air pressure was pushing air through at a higher velocity the air would have a shorter residence time in the humidifier and be less saturated with moisture and not have the same effect as it did when the volume was less. I'd expect a higher water usage under that circumstance although a greater percentage of it would be wasted on the air being dumped by the mask's normal flushing bleed off. Along with that, the extra volume of air being delivered would dry your mouth more.

Have you checked to see if your pressure has a "higher than before" average overall level?

My minute ventilation has gone up some since I started with the S9 so maybe there is something with regard to higher air velocity.

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2014, 08:26 PM)vsheline Wrote: Before cooler weather starts, I suggest trying to get prepared by getting the heated hose. It allows the humidity to be higher without allowing rain out in the hose.

Some don't like to use the heated hose in hot weather.

If using heated hose on automatic climate control, the higher the hose temperature is set, the higher the air moisture content will be.

I just received my heated hose. What a pain that was. Stupid DME said that I needed a prescription. Had my PCP fax one to the number given. Checked back later after hearing nothing. The DME did not have the fax (?) and said that the fax number was wrong. I did not want to bother my PCP any more so I just bought one online-no prescription required.

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2014, 08:38 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Payton, I really think the dry mouth thing has more to do with the mouth coming open than the humidity, except if your room humidity is very dry, then finding a way to add humidity to your environment might do nice things for your sinuses, and hence your tendency to open your mouth.

It has been very humid here lately and since we have no air conditioning the room humidity has been high also. You may be right about open mouth syndrome.

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2014, 09:03 PM)zonk Wrote: Not much you can do, full face mask and dry mouth goes together

Some meds can causes dry mouth too
Keep hydrated, saline sinus rinse and warm salt water gargle

Salt is a panacea for anything Too-funny

Zonk,

My problem is that I was doing fine with dry mouth and then that changed for some reason. I have not changed any medications and I have been using the full face mask since March and not having significant dry mouth problem.

Salt is not the panacea for my fluid retention problems I am afraid.

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worrying session last night - hypopneas increased tenfold! BigWing 12 232 03-23-2024, 06:23 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  humidity level frustration sleepingbetterinFl 2 155 03-08-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] DreamStation Humidity Issue bry248 14 9,162 01-20-2024, 02:59 AM
Last Post: jimbob123
  [Health] AHI Increased - Covid Positive amfar33 2 411 12-27-2023, 09:14 AM
Last Post: Gideon
Gross [Equipment] HELP! Heat & Humidity settings are Choking Me! James87 3 372 12-21-2023, 11:00 AM
Last Post: James87
  AirSense 10 and Humidity Setting Columbiabill 16 2,996 12-12-2023, 08:06 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Increased Anxiety/Irritability after Starting CPAP? gohoos1998 0 400 11-17-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: gohoos1998

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.