Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

continuing search for the best mask
continuing search for the best mask
Had been on CPAP since 2005 and used pilllows masks exclusively and successfuly.  Since mid 2022 migrated to BIPAP, much higher pressure makes nasal masks uncomfortable - nasal passages so abused by pressure that they feel like a goose feather is stuck in there.

Went to full face.  Have used  F&P Vitera, Phillips Amaraview and Dreamwear. Have also tried Resmed airtouch f20, airFIT f20 and airfit f30.  Nothing has been as comfortable to wear as the pillows used to be.  

Have mostly alternated recently between the F20 airtouch (memory foam cushion) and the f30.  The  f30 is more comfortable to wear ( the straps do irritate my ears), but very difficult to line up the nose with the air vents making breathing difficult.  The f20 foam unit also tends to partially block one or both nostrils because of where it sits on the bridge of my nose.

Also have a problem with SEVERE dry mouth.  Often causes cheeks to somewhat collapse inwards and coupled with the compresson caused by the tight straps results in my biting a cheek during the night drawing blood.  Not good.

I am very interested in any recommendations others can provide.  My thanks in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: continuing search for the best mask
For me anyway, I've recently (a few days ago as of this writing) found that the cloth masks by Circadiance are awesome! A truly innovative and comfortable product.
Post Reply Post Reply
i am aware those cloth masks exist but have not used them.

I wonder if anyone else has experience with them that they are willing to share.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had tried this mask out shortly after starting CPAP therapy in 2014. For some reason, I bought this mask with a return guarantee. I'm glad I did! After 10 minutes trying to get this mask to get any seal, I gave up and returned it. I'm glad someone can use it.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for that.  While that mask looked to be comfortable, I wondered whether or not it could get any seal, especially at higher pressures.

Hybrid masks are more comfortable than 'legacy' full face masks, but there is the issue of lining up the air hole(s) with the nostrils.  I improved the f30 by cutting out the partition flap between the nostril holes.  The fit is improved but not great.

The so-called respiratory therapists that my current -and FIFTH- DME sends out definitely are not at the top of their game. Collectively, their way of "fitting" a mask consists mainly of seeing how much they can gouge lines in your face by cranking on the straps.  I had one good one in 2005 who actually brought out multiple sizes of several masks and did not leave until we AGREED that one was a good choice and fit/sealed well without cranking the straps.  Have not seen any like him since.  Finding a good mask on my own has been challenging.
Post Reply Post Reply
What about Resmed Quattro ? I've heard that's good for high pressures
Post Reply Post Reply
The quattro series does not have magnetic clips and does not have a quick connect hose interface.  This makes on.off activity a PITA especially in the middle of the night in the dark.  I looked at them.  People around me would learn new cuss words.  The same is true with F&P vitera.  It fits nicely once you get it on, but the design of the NON MAGNETIC clips gave me fits.  It is not conducive to sleep when you spend the lead up time cussing like a sailor.

I wonder if anyone makes a mask liner designed for the f30 or if it has a cushion that works better interfacing with the location of actual nostrils.
Post Reply Post Reply
megabill;
     I use a Resmed F20 and was orignally sized for a Medium .. It leaked at the outside edges of My mouth when
the mask shifted at night .. I bought a Large cushion and have had less leaks and it sits higher on My nose .. So 
it doesn't restrict My breathing as much .. Don't know what size cushion Your using but stepping up one size may 
help .. 
Best of luck ..    Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
@megabill:  I tried the f30 too and found the nostril holes not lining up.  I tried to use a punch but it didn't work.  Then I used some small scissors but I kept leaving cut lines and the cushion then ripped at the cut lines when I tried to use it.  In fact I ended up losing the little piece of silicone that divides the nostrils   I couldn't make a "complete circle with the scissors.  How did you do it.
Post Reply Post Reply
@megabill:  when I lost the little dividing piece, the mask didn't feel like it was working properly and I shelved it in favour of the F20 Touch which I am now tracking carefully because it is leaking badly.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Flow LIMIT data missing tried to search forum Plmnb 16 268 03-10-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Tips for continuing PAP through a cold Bostonsnow 4 535 07-28-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Thank to the forum search and all those you went before. CPAP machine. quiescence at last 1 498 04-13-2023, 11:51 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  In search of feed back of initial BiPAP results nrelaz 1 442 09-29-2022, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,207 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,748 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.