Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

convert old masks to n95 masks?
convert old masks to n95 masks?
Would this work?  Take your old face mask with hose and connect to a paper air filter for a small engine.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: convert old masks to n95 masks?
My guess is that type of filter wouldn't be up to the task of filtering a virus.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I posted some of this in the other coronavirus thread.

I'm going to use an old mask as a respirator when I have to go out to the store as an additional precaution along with the normal hygiene procedures.  At 68 I'd be stupid not to take the step regardless if it only results in a minimal degree of additional protection.  From what I read, the 95 level of filters, either N, R or P series can be used.

I started off planning on using an F20 and attaching a P95 3M P571 filter cartridge on the inside.  srlevine1 pointed out CO2 buildup, which I hadn't considered, so I decided to test the F20.  I turns out that sealing off the filter to only get air directly from the elbow attach area, really cut down the airflow.  So I placed two of the P571 cartridges inside overlapping in the center.  This helped a lot with the air flow.  It also made me recall, from years ago, that the normal 3M respirator does cut down on the airflow.

Since then I have decided to try an even older Quattro FX mask with the two 3M filters.  The Quattro FX has venting built into the mask so that has to be covered.  One of the reason for the F20 was that it does not have venting built into the mask.  I think the Quattro FX is the route I am going to go.  I am attaching a couple of pics.  The first is the F20 with a single filter and the second is the Quattro FX with 2 filters.  Honestly, it is a lot easier to stuff in 2 filters than try to tape or velcro a single one.

John

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2020, 01:47 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: My guess is that type of filter wouldn't be up to the task of filtering a virus.

Your correct but I don't believe there are any masks that will filter viruses.  But that's not necessary. The virus is carried in the air in droplets which are many times larger.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Finished product with elastic straps.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
It'll be a very cold day in Hell before I put on a mask and go out in public. 

But.....that's just me, and I've been told more than just once or twice I'm a bit different.  Rolleyes
Post Reply Post Reply
One of our regulars (No disrespect whoever you be) posted a configuration to consider: the full face mask with shorty hose connected to mask and on the opposite end an in-line filter like this universal inline bacteria filter (search for the description). I'm not stating it would be effective or what percentage it might be.

Inline filter image [attachment=21181]
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was looking at the Alibaba site today. I saw a mask with hose running to a filter. The hose attached to the filter which was strapped to an arm. 

Link deleted - search for "Aurora breathing mask"

Kind of what I was thinking of.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, certain types of commercial links are prohibited in this forum. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's a weird thought: How about using a coffee filter with an old mask?

When the idea first popped into my mind half-jokingly, I thought of course that wouldn't work because it's designed to filter water not air, and you couldn't breathe through it. Just to satisfy my curiosity I went and tried to breathe through one and it kind of does work.

Now, whether this would be effective filtering on the one hand, or limit airflow too much with prolonged use on the other hand, are questions I can't answer. I still doubt it would really work, but if we come down to end times and the choice is that or nothing, hey...

Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
How about a scuba diving mask and snorkel and just jam a tampon into the snorkel for a filter.

Laugh-a-lot Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  anyone convert CSV o2 data into Oscar? drgrimes 7 2,776 03-07-2024, 05:21 PM
Last Post: capman
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 345 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 220 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 412 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Other masks to try? acordeon 5 496 01-01-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 492 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Why different pressures with different masks Dawei 6 423 12-29-2023, 03:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.