Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

convert old masks to n95 masks?
RE: convert old masks to n95 masks?
I know you're probably talking about using a CPAP mask in this thread, I just want to urge caution when re-using N95 masks after they have previously been exposed to the virus-- I'd be very careful about that.  All it would take is for you to touch the outside surface of the mask one time, then touch your face... and boom, you just got infected.  This is why medical professionals get certified every year with PPE training (Personal Protective Equipment).  You have to be very methodical, slow and consistent when donning (putting on) and doffing (taking off) PPE.

That said, I've read several ideas on how to disinfect and re-use N95 masks, and perhaps if one is extremely careful, it could be done.  But again, all it would take is one slip-up and then you're infected.  That's how a 40-year old doctor in China got infected.  It was a long day, he was tired, and got sloppy when taking off his PPE.  He made a stupid mistake, and was later diagnosed with COVID-19, and died several days later.

For N95 re-use, I've heard ideas all the way from sticking the mask in bright sunlight for two solid days, using an ultraviolet lamp on the mask, spraying the mask with bleach solution, dunking it in a bleach or other virus-killing solution, etc.  Not sure if any one of those methods is a sure-fire method.  Of course, it's always better to use a new N95 mask for each outing, but that may not be possible during the shortage of personal protective equipment.

I would think that too much chemical liquid applied to one of the disposable N95s could cause degradation of the filtering material as well.

One thing all people who are considering using N95 masks, gloves, & eye protection need to realize during this pandemic-- you NEED to know how to properly use the PPE, and especially learn how to take it off without getting infected.  Here's a 9-minute nursing video with instructions how to do this safely:

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for posting the video.

I hadn't thought much about goggles. Maybe shop goggles or even swim goggles. I'm just trying to find a balance between a hazmat suit and a hat with a battery powered fan if I have to go to the store for food.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, goggles are important as well, or some type of eye protection, since airborne water droplets containing the virus can land in your eye, especially as you move through an area that a recent COVID-19 spreader has walked through recently (as in a few hours ago).

I personally got a pair of standard swimmers googles from Amazon, just in case.  You need googles that form a seal around your eyes if possible, and standard no-fog swimmer's goggles are pretty good for that, at least for short periods of times.  I suppose they'll eventually fog up on you, depending upon the humidity & temperature of the air around you.

Pretty sure Amazon still has those available as well as the "lung flutes" PEP devices mentioned earlier.  Word to the wise- get them now if you want them.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
You may find  the 3m filters are  not available soon. The last news conference stated 3m is rampng up to supply their filters to the U.S. government to help with the shortages.
Post Reply Post Reply

I made a mod to the setup.  I decided to try the velcro hook side and stick it inside the mask.  This seems like a better approach and I only have to use use only 1 filter.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
Studies have shown that the virus retains viability for 24-72 hours on environmental surfaces. A lightly contaminated mask should be safe to handle and use after a 1week holding period. Any disinfection methods may damage the mask. Time may be the best disinfectant.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
According to ABC News .... the WHO found traces of the virus 17 days after passengers and the crew left the ship.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/diamond-pr...d=69755804
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
This is primarily for going out to get essentials where there may be crowds. Fortunately I don't have to use it daily. It is a bit of a Catch-22. If the filter is contaminated it gives some validation for actually wearing it.

I'll probably set it outside in the sun after I use it. I have some extras. I may also get one of those cheap ozone CPAP cleaners and use that.

As for the cruise ship. I can believe that inside infected ship cabins with little outside ventilation, traces of the virus could be found.

Our daughter is an RN case manager for outpatient care. Depending where all this goes, whatever I come up with will get passed on to her if she needs it. I have a few Quattro FX masks lying around.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-24-2020, 12:46 PM)70sSanO Wrote: I'll probably set it outside in the sun after I use it.  I have some extras.  I may also get one of those cheap ozone CPAP cleaners and use that.
Ozone may inactivate the virus on the mask but it may also damage the mask material and will almost certainly damage the elastic in the straps.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
If i get one, I would only use it on the filter. Since I use hook side of the Velcro to hold it in place I can pull the filter off.

John
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  anyone convert CSV o2 data into Oscar? drgrimes 7 2,775 03-07-2024, 05:21 PM
Last Post: capman
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 345 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 219 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 410 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Other masks to try? acordeon 5 495 01-01-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 492 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Why different pressures with different masks Dawei 6 423 12-29-2023, 03:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.