Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

correct Position for PAP Machine
correct Position for PAP Machine
Funny question from a member who has been using her PAP for almost 3 years, but I'm stuck in a skilled nursing facility after what was to be a 3 day session in the hospital for a back fusion turned into  having 2 major surgeries in 5 days and muscles that turned into jelly after lying flat for 6 days.  Can my machine be placed on the floor beside the head of my bed?  It has been on a nightstand but that is on the other side of the bed and they are moving me to the left from right side and my hose isn't long enough.  I don't have my direction book with me but was pretty certain the floor was OK.  Once I got back on my own machine and back to SH I have been amazed that my AHI didn't change despite opiate use at the beginning.  Got off that stuff pretty quickly, thank goodness.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: correct Position for PAP Machine
I would ask for a spare folding chair and place it next to your bed with the PAP machine on it.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
The floor is OK as long as they keep their mops away from it... The chair is a good idea
Post Reply Post Reply
Would it be too much for them to move the night stand to the other side?
If they are unable to do that, then the floor would be ok, but be sure it is on a rug or non skid mat.

As long as the machine is placed on a level and sturdy spot and “not” above your head, it should be ok.

I am really sorry to hear about your surgeries, praying you will heal quickly.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also - (I may be stating the obvious here) - no matter where, make sure the machine is placed lower than your sleeping position.
Post Reply Post Reply
opalrose and ycsi: machine not above your head or sleeping position is news to me. my nightstand is about 6 inches above the bed/mattress. on my side, my eyes are 2 or 3 inches below the bottom of the machine. i've been using pap this way for almost 2 years and not been aware of any problem. will my experience with the machine change for the better if I find a lower night stand? if it matters, the hose is held up well above the bed and my head.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2018, 01:15 PM)sheepless Wrote: opalrose and ycsi: machine not above your head or sleeping position is news to me.  my nightstand is about 6 inches above the bed/mattress.  on my side, my eyes are 2 or 3 inches below the bottom of the machine.  i've been using pap this way for almost 2 years and not been aware of any problem.  will my experience with the machine change for the better if I find a lower night stand?  if it matters, the hose is held up well above the bed and my head.

If you don't have a problem with rainout than there's no need to put the machine lower than your head. It's only a precautionary move to prevent rainout.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
ahh. thanks. haven't ever had rainout, knock on wood.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2018, 01:20 PM)Walla Walla Wrote:
(07-30-2018, 01:15 PM)sheepless Wrote: opalrose and ycsi: machine not above your head or sleeping position is news to me.  my nightstand is about 6 inches above the bed/mattress.  on my side, my eyes are 2 or 3 inches below the bottom of the machine.  i've been using pap this way for almost 2 years and not been aware of any problem.  will my experience with the machine change for the better if I find a lower night stand?  if it matters, the hose is held up well above the bed and my head.

If you don't have a problem with rainout than there's no need to put the machine lower than your head. It's only a precautionary move to prevent rainout.

The other reason besides rainout is that you can pull the machine down on yourself if it’s above your head. Of course, you are only talking 6 inches, and the placement has nothing to do with your treatment.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks opalrose for the clarification. there's so much to mastering this pap stuff I thought oh boy here's something else I don't know anything about. good to know height relative to body has no bearing on machine function besides potential rainout. I think having the hose raised a few feet works against pulling the machine off the nightstand as a yank on the hose pulls first against the point at which the hose is held high, so I think it's all good in that regard.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 206 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 208 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea NewlyDiagnosed 8 400 02-26-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Idea [Treatment] POSAS (Position dependant OSAS) A KLERK 6 1,580 02-03-2024, 09:55 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Why do apneas also occur in the prone and lateral position? selfhelpdevice 7 566 12-03-2023, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Treatment] Friedman Tongue Position Cantbreath95 2 1,245 12-02-2023, 01:20 PM
Last Post: selfhelpdevice
  CPAP Settings correct? nickng33 1 429 11-21-2023, 08:42 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.