Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

correct Position for PAP Machine
RE: correct Position for PAP Machine
I've been on cpap since 2012 and my machine has always been on the floor. I have never worried about it falling off. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
no worries about it falling off the floor :-) but I'd be afraid of kicking it. what do you do about the weight of the hose pulling on the mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks--I think they found a chair that is level after I wrote this. I had wondered some about the machine being lower than your head as my nightstand at home is a few inches higher as many have just said. I've never had rainout--have humidifier and heated hose. Thanks for the prayers, Opal Rose--that's what's been getting me through this!
Post Reply Post Reply
At a nursing home or hospital, you do NOT want your machine on the floor. Too many weird germs. The doc said absolutely not on the floor there. You are used to your own germs at home. Anything at least a foot above the floor should be fine. My brother (who has been in nursing home twice) had a standard length hose and they set up the little bedside table behind him. The nurse had to be the one to turn it off (he has auto-on), but that was ok. He's a big guy and it worked well for him.

Also, be aware that your humidifier may leak after you get home (maybe even before you do). The only times my brother has ever had a humidifier leak was after being in a nursing home (he's been on bipap for 14 years or so). The nurses are often unfamiliar with the machines is my guess. Just make sure none of your valuables are on the floor and the drawers are shut. That way if it does leak, your stuff won't get wet.

He has a Respironics 560. The leak always appears as a crack where the screws/grommets are on the bottom.

Hope you improve soon!
Post Reply Post Reply
"Hope you improve soon!" Mosquitobait

yes, me too. sometimes I get interested in a topic and kind of 'forget' there's a real person out there beyond my computer screen. sorry about that.

I too wish you good health SideSleeper!
Post Reply Post Reply
Floor is fine, BUT, you should see what is going around on floors, especially in a hospital, I would ask for anything to put it onto rather than put it on the floor. A chair will do fine. When I was in hospital I was told to put the CPAp as high as I could, but this turned out to be hard to get up to to turn it on as it did not have an Auto-start back then. I got into trouble for raising the bed to turn it on then lowering the bed again.
I asked them how I was supposed to turn it on when the machine was two feet above me if I was not allowed to raise the bed?
They couldn't come up with an answer, just repeated that I was not allowed to raise the bed to turn it on!
I waited or the lights went out then when I was ready I raised the bed, turned on the machine and lowered it down again.
Next day the nurse said "Ah, you managed to turn on the machine after all then?" she had a grin on her face.
There was no problem with rain-out as the hospital was far to hot anyway!
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW my recent overnight at the hospital with my ASV: the nurse on duty set the machine up under my supervision, she placed the unit on one of those wheeled tables that doubles as a food tray. Mobile and adjustable height. Worked perfect. BTW when I said the humidifier needed water added, they used a bottle of some sort of hospital sanitized water. Bet that cost the insurance a bit, but I dunno. I just asked for water... Mornincoffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-31-2018, 02:25 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: FWIW my recent overnight at the hospital with my ASV: the nurse on duty set the machine up under my supervision, she placed the unit on one of those wheeled tables that doubles as a food tray. Mobile and adjustable height. Worked perfect. BTW when I said the humidifier needed water added, they used a bottle of some sort of hospital sanitized water. Bet that cost the insurance a bit, but I dunno. I just asked for water... Mornincoffee

Should have asked for something a bit stronger   Wink
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Well stronger for me is coffee, and the acid reflux ruled out any coffee with octane or caffeine. I'm a strict no alcohol person since 1994. Had far too many driving under influence driving episodes that scared me reflecting back on them. I was never caught, nor had any accidents, but I felt I was "pushing my luck" too far. Besides IMO I believe God's pleased with my choice. Sorry for religious rant, but my beliefs make me who I am. No intent to bash any. Peace to all.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2018, 04:23 PM)sheepless Wrote: no worries about it falling off the floor :-) but I'd be afraid of kicking it.   what do you do about the weight of the hose pulling on the mask?

Never noticed the hose weight. Until a few weeks ago when we changed mattress and the hose connection was getting hung up on the edge of the mattress. I have started using a hose hanger.
I wouldn't put it on the floor if in the hospital.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 203 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea NewlyDiagnosed 8 399 02-26-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Idea [Treatment] POSAS (Position dependant OSAS) A KLERK 6 1,579 02-03-2024, 09:55 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Why do apneas also occur in the prone and lateral position? selfhelpdevice 7 564 12-03-2023, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Treatment] Friedman Tongue Position Cantbreath95 2 1,245 12-02-2023, 01:20 PM
Last Post: selfhelpdevice
  CPAP Settings correct? nickng33 1 427 11-21-2023, 08:42 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.