Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

cost to repair cpap m/c - is it real?
cost to repair cpap m/c - is it real?
I have a resmed 9i device + humidifier that is ~3-4years old. At that time I brought it from the sleep clinic and my insurance covered for it.

i have been on and off with cpap for these years. Last year I decided I really want to give it my 100%. I still didn't find success in making a difference in my sleep. In the meantime, the machine broke. Not really broke but the point where the power enters into the machine, the pin in the plug broke. I took it to the same place that I bought the machine from and they said it'll cost ~$400 for repair. Its just to pull out a broken pin (of the male plug) which is stuck inside the machine. $400!! In addition insurance would not cover it.
Since the machine wasn't doing much for me anyway, I stopped and never spent the 400.

Seeing some other friend do this and the benefit he saw, I am thinking i'll go back and get it repaired and try one last time. But do we really have to give 400 - what are other options to get it repaired.

thanks so much
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: cost to repair cpap m/c - is it real?
I've been told it's not to ever be repaired, but rather destroyed and replaced. If the shop offering repair is on the up and up, the repair must be 'certified' as it is medical equipment, hence the high cost to repair.

Buying used *may* be a better option for you, as some folks do not realize the value...

Good luck to you, and welcome to the forum~!
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2014, 01:00 AM)roym Wrote: I have a resmed 9i device + humidifier that is ~3-4years old.
Seeing some other friend do this and the benefit he saw, I am thinking i'll go back and get it repaired and try one last time. But do we really have to give 400 - what are other options to get it repaired.

Hi roym, welcome to the forum!

Check out prices for your machine on website for Supplier #2. (At the top of all forum pages is a link to our Supplier List).

If you get your broken unit repaired it might not include any warranty at all. If you buy the same model as your old unit from Secondwind it may cost less and may include a 6 month (or longer) warranty.

I suggest considering obtaining a used S9 AutoSet. Below is a listing copied from SecondWind website today:

Gently Used ResMed S9 AutoSet with EPR without Heated Humidifier

Notes:
Gently Used, low hour. 1 Year warranty. Travel bag, power supply, new filters, new slimline tubing all included. $479.00

Perhaps you could email SecondWind and ask if your old machine would be worth anything as a trade-in. (Of course, be up front about the power connector being broken.)

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just looking at my S9 and visualising a pin stuck in the power connector ... it might be retrievable with a pair of needle-nosed forceps. If you can get the forceps onto it without pushing it further in you might be able to just pull it out. Then you'd be up for a new connector on the power brick, which should cost substantially less. Even if you stuff it up, there's nothing lost except a bit of time.
Post Reply Post Reply
I travel out of the country three out of four weeks for work and got sick of hauling my CPAP back and forth. I'm not sure what a Resmed S9i is, but I purchased a complete S9 Elite for $500 from Supplier #2 (CPAP, humidifier, & Climateline hose, plus a "standard" hose). It came with 129 total hours of usage, basically brand new.

If you only need the CPAP, you can likely buy a "gently used" unit for about the same price as your repair is being quoted. I can only say that the unit I purchased was clean and very low hours.

Best of luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi roym,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Roym,

Here is another option to consider. You said it has been several years since you started CPAP and have been off and on again. Not knowing what your insurance status is, have you talked to your sleep doc about this? He may want to do another sleep study and this could be grounds for a brand new machine, paid for by your insurance especially if he writes the script for the specific model/type that is different than what you already have. It is another option you can look at.

I had one machine for a year and when I got another sleep study a year later, my sleep doc got me a new machine which far exceeded the capabilities of my old one.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi roym: Craigslist may be a viable solution. Recently, there was an S9 Autoset posted in my area for $250 or best offer. It was virtually unused and complete with case, manual, everything. A couple of masks were also included.
To err is human, but to really mess things up, you need a computer.
Post Reply Post Reply
Craigslist is the way to go if you want another unit, they are everywhere on cl and they are inexpensive as people just want the cash.

Otherwise I would talk to an electronics shop about the power connector, this is a common issue on notebook computers and it is an easy fix.

Just my 2 cents worth.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much everyone for your inputs.

If I get machine from these external websites or craigslist, can I use the same pressure as present machine. I last got my sleep test ~3yr ago and the pressure was adjusted then. Is exact pressure important.

I am not sure how often people get the sleep test done and pressure re-adjusted. Seems like an expensive proposition.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Real or False CAs? SingingWolf 3 288 03-14-2024, 10:35 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] resmed apap repair sleeper2460 4 514 11-24-2023, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Nightynite
Money [CPAP] Repair Z1 or purchase Pilot-24 Lite Battery CJH1968 3 595 08-13-2023, 08:10 AM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Internal cpap repair parts mzipp 8 5,585 08-10-2023, 05:29 PM
Last Post: sms832
  P10 reporting leaks even when there are no real leaks Michaely6 14 2,574 08-07-2023, 08:22 PM
Last Post: JasonR
Sad Is $6,800 reasonable cost for a sleep study? Hrapovik 8 909 06-20-2023, 10:55 PM
Last Post: larrykay
  Low cost 12v - 24v power supply for SEFAM S.Box Kingsway 1 762 05-29-2023, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Kingsway

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.