Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

40 second OA reported in OSCAR - can that be right?
40 second OA reported in OSCAR - can that be right?
So I have a suspected UARS diagnosis and I am being treated on a AirCurve 10 VAuto. When I checked my OSCAR graph this morning I noticed that I had 2x 40 second obstructive apneas last night. I know the definition of an OA is normally 10+ seconds where you stop breathing but surely 40+ seconds is in a category all of its own?

Taking a look at the past couple of weeks of history I can't seem to find any similar OAs that last quite this long so I'm hoping this is just a one off. I'm also a little concerned about how long the machine took to respond to increase the pressure to compensate.

I'm hoping this is some kind of reporting error from the machine/OSCAR but if its not I'd really appreciate some suggestions as to how I can prevent these from happening again.

I've attached the two concerning OAs and a full night shown in OSCAR.

Thank you!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 40 second OA reported in OSCAR - can that be right?
Feel free to take a look at my thread, seems somewhat similar to yours
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 40 second OA reported in OSCAR - can that be right?
We have two events here that are preceeded by different respiratory patterns. Neither one shows flow limitation or obstruction. In the obstructive event at 00"34:40, there is somewhat irregular respiration with what appears to be swallows or pauses in the expiratory cycle and pressure is at the minimum EPAP of 7.0. The conclusion of the event shows minor recovery breathing and relatively fast recovery to normal respiration with no indication of flow limit or airway obstruction and pressure rises to about 8.5. The second event starts with pressure at about 8.0 and there appears to be an obstructed inspiration just before the blue shading appears. There is an arousal and again a brief recovery breathing which leads into what appears to be a sleep-pattern of breathing, possibly REM with pressure over 9-cm.

There is nothing here to suggest a positional cause for the obstruction, and the events, while moderately long, did not cause significant distress. My best guess is you were experiencing a transition to a different level of sleep in both cases, as indicated by the changes in respiratory pattern. It's possible movement was involved. It's understandable that a 40 second breathing cessation may be alarming, but it's impact on your breathing demand and sleep state looks minimal. Based on the fact these seem to be infrequent and unrelated to PAP pressure, I have nothing to suggest as a cause or changes to your therapy to prevent this. Your therapy looks otherwise excellent. I hope you sleep well tonight and don't see a frequent recurrence of these longer OA events.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help reading reported CAs as "true" or "false" JoyD. 1 502 01-25-2023, 04:07 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  [Equipment] Respironics - a newly reported defect Dr.Bob 7 1,260 12-04-2022, 03:51 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirMini reported pressure is... cpaplvr 5 1,237 09-20-2022, 11:21 AM
Last Post: dwedward
  Resmed reported events jemales 7 953 06-16-2022, 07:05 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  A question about calculation using OSCAR-reported "Med." values as variables 2SleepBetta 8 1,339 04-11-2022, 09:56 PM
Last Post: Geer1
  How variable is AHI, as reported by ResMed? (Mask fit) desaturator 5 967 01-11-2022, 11:35 AM
Last Post: Ratchick
  understand the reported AHI apnea2022 6 810 01-06-2022, 07:49 PM
Last Post: apnea2022

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.