Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

cpap - dental questions
cpap - dental questions
When I woke up this morning, my four front teeth were really sore. Any kind of pressure, including pressing my lower teeth against them, was really painful. This went away after a couple of hours and they are fine tonight.

The pain was very similiar to what I remember from having orthodontic treatment--a spacer put between my teeth, braces or headgear adjusted, etc.

I am also noticing that the lower straps of the mask are pushing against my jaw, causing me to hold my mouth in a different way than I normally do. I woke up a couple of times with air pushing out of the corner of my mouth even though my jaw and lips were closed. Rolling over fixed this, but I think it was because my jaw wasn't in its normal position.

I have bad teeth and poor dental coverage (tho some, thank god!) and I'm really, really worried about protecting them. I'm worried that the pressure from the mask is going to make my teeth lose or push my jaw out of alignment.

Am I jumping the gun? Will this get better in time? This was only my second night wearing the mask.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: cpap - dental questions
This is a sign that the straps are way too tight.

Personally, I could never get a nasal mask to work for me. I much prefer the nasal pillows mask.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had couple of teeth taken out when started CPAP, blame it on the design of Quattro FX straps

Post Reply Post Reply
I also had a very sore red mark on the bridge of my nose. It was comfortable when I went to bed... seems like the underpants gnomes snuck in and tightened my straps last night. I guess I will try it on looser tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
By any chance did you wash your headgear and maybe it shrank???
Post Reply Post Reply
My headgear expands when I wash it. It also expands when I don't wash it. I have to tighten the straps a tad every few weeks or so.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you read up and ask dentists all point to cpap

what happens is your cpap drys your gums out number one

then it takes the moister out the the teeth teeth are living nerves layers and moister

if you dont correct this sometime down the road 80 percent or better of loosing them

there are great product a lil expensive but wort it i would stick with the brand that started it all it costs more but they know how to do it or however you say it

its called bio teen tooth past mouth wash gum gels and more

i use bioteen every morn a good amount

i make sure to massage my gums down to lip line and the back and side of mouth i do at least a min then a min on the teeth

i mix with sensydine toothpaste for my sensitive teeth i have always had

any form of cpap no humidifier you risk damage'

i have the full face fireman looking thing my humid dyed for over 6 mo till someone donated one with a humid

my nose will no longer stay wet always gel and spray but i also had laser surgery as a kid and always have had dry problems but no humid made 100 times worse

good luck replacing moister every day is the key nose eyes definitely teeth
"You're only lonely if you're not there for you."
-- Phil McGraw
Well, I looked my demons in the eyes, laid bare my chest, said "Do your best, destroy me. You see, I've been to hell and back so many times, I must admit you kind of bore me."
- Ray LaMontagne
One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley
Post Reply Post Reply
i am hypersensitive my headgear screws me good the fitlife lasts half the morn or day red dents in a circle of my face

i tried the over the nose it got so infected i have very high pain tolerance didnt feel till to late

it was nasty and now if you look close or run finger over the bridge of my nose deep to the cartilage dents

the sleep therapist said no more options gave me a fitlife with the therapist 15 masks on my own another bunch only fit life

it still will cut the back of my head pretty deep bumps you name the reaction it happens

but fit life its not every night or weekly now that my temporary machine is a regular cpap not bilevel major strap and pain trouble

i have fibromyalgia God though it was funny to make my head whats called a trigger point my whole head i wear my hat headach or migraine lol
"You're only lonely if you're not there for you."
-- Phil McGraw
Well, I looked my demons in the eyes, laid bare my chest, said "Do your best, destroy me. You see, I've been to hell and back so many times, I must admit you kind of bore me."
- Ray LaMontagne
One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley
Post Reply Post Reply
Dry mouth is what messes up your teeth, not CPAP. Some people on CPAP experience dry mouth, but it's not a universal experience. My mouth is less dry after a night on the CPAP.

I have not washed the head straps that attach to the cpap so I know they haven't shrunk. My masks were fitted by the respiratory therapist and are not particularly tight.

(11-20-2013, 11:48 AM)i-want-my-sleep-back Wrote: If you read up and ask dentists all point to cpap

then it takes the moister out the the teeth teeth are living nerves layers and moister

if you dont correct this sometime down the road 80 percent or better of loosing them

there are great product a lil expensive but wort it i would stick with the brand that started it all it costs more but they know how to do it or however you say it

i make sure to massage my gums down to lip line and the back and side of mouth i do at least a min then a min on the teeth

i have the full face fireman looking thing my humid dyed for over 6 mo till someone donated one with a humid

my nose will no longer stay wet always gel and spray but i also had laser surgery as a kid and always have had dry problems but no humid made 100 times worse

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2013, 10:42 PM)sir_sleeps_alot Wrote: Dry mouth is what messes up your teeth, not CPAP. Some people on CPAP experience dry mouth, but it's not a universal experience. My mouth is less dry after a night on the CPAP.

I have not washed the head straps that attach to the cpap so I know they haven't shrunk. My masks were fitted by the respiratory therapist and are not particularly tight.

(11-20-2013, 11:48 AM)i-want-my-sleep-back Wrote: If you read up and ask dentists all point to cpap

I have to totally disagree with you. Either it's the distilled water that is used for the humidifier which distilled water is "aggressive" and steals calcium to become more mineralized (science), or its the high pressure constantly on the teeth that pushes inside the teeth. Someone along these lines is happening because when i didn't use cpap my mouth would always be dry in the morning and my teeth were fantastic, (they are very thin from a bad bite given to me by my orthodontist which is the same reason i have apnea), But when i started using cpap about a month ago i immediately noticed my teeth. They all hurt, have turned yellower, my gums look sh**ty etc. etc. If i cannot get myself to learning to breath with a nasal mask i won't be able to do cpap at the expense of my smile. Despite what anyone says about it i really believe air pressure and/or distilled water is not good for them.

It's really unfortunate because cpap is definitely really positive for your health besides the teeth i think.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 151 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 612 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 125 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  What are your thoughts on dental Daytime Nightime Appliances (DNA)? NoddingHacker 13 2,742 01-24-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Msevcsisin
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 307 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.