Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

cpap erases nasal congestion and cough
Smile 
cpap erases nasal congestion and cough

I've been using a cpap machine since 2007 and I have just noticed something I find very weird. I currently have a very bad chest cold with lots of stuffiness and coughing
and sneezing.
(First cold in 9 years).

As soon as I put on my cpap mask, my symptoms go away completely. No more stuffed nose and no mòre coughing. But in the morning when I remove the mask, all the symptoms are back at full strength.
Maybe it's because of the constant air flow keeping the airway open so the mucas doesn't have a chance to build up.

I don't know about you but I find this very interesting.

Randy

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: cpap erases nasal congestion and cough
I use nasal pillows and have the same results. No matter how congested, the pressure clears it up for the night. Nice advantage, huh?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Agree, the nasal pillows are great when you are congested. It makes for a better nights sleep.

And welcome to Apnea Board ran-man.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I get the same effect. It's a really nice fringe benefit because I have a 2-year-old and thus am sick about once every 2-3 months. I find that my colds often don't progress into more troublesome sinus or chest infections either, which is awesome.

It makes sense if you think about it - the pressure is probably pushing sinus mucus out of the way and allowing airflow, so you can breathe better, and the warm, humid air is probably soothing to your sore throat and respiratory system.

Yay xPAP! Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
Pressure and humidity.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
+1 on humidity, I got this tip from my CPAP seller - to up my 'normal' humidity levels by 1-2 notches whilst I have chest\congestion. Helps it lift\clear faster than normal, gives a better night sleep when congested - and yes, presumably as it soothes raw airways etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ran-man,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It’s great to hear that CPAP is helping you with your cold.
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had chronic congestion for decades, as well as a persistent cough from taking Lisinopril. I've found that being on the hose has reduced both of them at night - and to some extent even during the day. Nice side effect, for sure!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nasal congestion relief sleepingbetterinFl 2 160 03-23-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 326 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 153 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 394 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 866 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Nasal Surgery and CPAP tolerance Norman2195 6 708 12-27-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Do wedged pillows alleviate nasal congestion? NoddingHacker 1 389 12-07-2023, 09:15 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.