Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bed Pillows or CPAP pillows.
RE: Bed Pillows or CPAP pillows.
I recommend those contoured memory foam pillows. And not just for SA, but for everyone. They are very common now, and apparently quite popular.

My mom had an old Tempur-Pedic pillow like this that she was not using so I tried it out, mostly out of desperation, when I was having a lot of neck stiffness, and it worked wonders. She paid over $100 for it, but I found a better one for $7 at Walmart. $7!.

Later I went to get another one from there, and found one with a hybrid construction (mem foam with a cotton batting over it) for under $15 that is still my favorite pillow.

That was 2 years ago. Recently, I went back to Walmart....nothing. Two stores, nothing but basic pillows. It appears that Walmart has been Napstered by Amazon, and does not carry much in the way of bedding in the store like they used to, since the internet has basically destroyed real hands-on shopping lately.

So on line the offers for this type of pillow are dizzying; one company (JC Penney?) had 400 different mem foam pillows on their site. After a while of paging thorough and comparison shopping for stuff on the internet you just get bored and can't make a decision. It's also surprising at how wide the prices range for what is basically the same item, which makes me wonder about how much gouging there is going on.

And guess what...on the internet you don't get to touch what you are buying until after its delivered and on your credit card, and this is not an item you want to buy without touching first. I brought one of those buckwheat hull pillows (2 sections; slightly different fill material) that way, and it lasted about 2 nights before I chucked it.

So I braved the crowds and went shopping last month and compared all I could find by touch. Some were too hard; some too soft. The best one I found was at Kohl's (called The Big One) for $22 (with coupon), which is pretty good, and just right as far as firmness. Go there and squeeze one for yourself. If you really want to spend money, go to Sears, as they have some for $80-100, but I liked the Kohl's one the best, and found the expensive ones to be among the worst, ironically enough. YMMV.

I honestly thought that mem foam was a complete and total ripoff, until I tried it, and now I think the world of it. Mem foam mattress toppers too.

But these contoured pillows are also good for mask wearers, IMHO, partly because of the contoured shape, partly because of the mem foam, and partly because they hold their shape well.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Bed Pillows or CPAP pillows.
(01-09-2015, 02:21 AM)TyroneShoes Wrote: I recommend those contoured memory foam pillows. And not just for SA, but for everyone. They are very common now, and apparently quite popular.

My mom had an old Tempur-Pedic pillow like this that she was not using so I tried it out, mostly out of desperation, when I was having a lot of neck stiffness, and it worked wonders. She paid over $100 for it, but I found a better one for $7 at Walmart. $7!.

Later I went to get another one from there, and found one with a hybrid construction (mem foam with a cotton batting over it) for under $15 that is still my favorite pillow.

That was 2 years ago. Recently, I went back to Walmart....nothing. Two stores, nothing but basic pillows. It appears that Walmart has been Napstered by Amazon, and does not carry much in the way of bedding in the store like they used to, since the internet has basically destroyed real hands-on shopping lately.

So on line the offers for this type of pillow are dizzying; one company (JC Penney?) had 400 different mem foam pillows on their site. After a while of paging thorough and comparison shopping for stuff on the internet you just get bored and can't make a decision. It's also surprising at how wide the prices range for what is basically the same item, which makes me wonder about how much gouging there is going on.

And guess what...on the internet you don't get to touch what you are buying until after its delivered and on your credit card, and this is not an item you want to buy without touching first. I brought one of those buckwheat hull pillows (2 sections; slightly different fill material) that way, and it lasted about 2 nights before I chucked it.

So I braved the crowds and went shopping last month and compared all I could find by touch. Some were too hard; some too soft. The best one I found was at Kohl's (called The Big One) for $22 (with coupon), which is pretty good, and just right as far as firmness. Go there and squeeze one for yourself. If you really want to spend money, go to Sears, as they have some for $80-100, but I liked the Kohl's one the best, and found the expensive ones to be among the worst, ironically enough. YMMV.

I honestly thought that mem foam was a complete and total ripoff, until I tried it, and now I think the world of it. Mem foam mattress toppers too.

But these contoured pillows are also good for mask wearers, IMHO, partly because of the contoured shape, partly because of the mem foam, and partly because they hold their shape well.

Thanks for that recommendation, I believe I will visit Kohls tomorrow and see if they have one at my store.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,776 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 394 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 399 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 935 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 486 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
  [Symptoms] Waking up with dry mouth with nasal pillows migui0323 3 531 01-05-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Keep getting air bolus in mouth w nasal pillows Palmtrees 7 681 12-28-2023, 04:13 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.