Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: cpap machine with a head cold
(02-19-2014 02:05 PM)Homerec130 Wrote:  I am fighting a sinus cold with drainage going down the throat causing a very dry, non-productive hacking cough. My doctor said it was up to me if I wanted to use my machine or not. I tried it, but after the first night, I was still hacking so bad, I couldn't get to sleep and had to take the mask off. I have tried it each night to see if I could get it to work, but have the same results - get about 20 minutes and no more. I have also cranked the humidifier up higher than its usual setting, but that doesn't seem to help. I am using a nasal spray as well as taking prescription cough suppressants. As you can imagine, I am miserable between the constant coughing and the lack of sleep (mostly from coughing).

When I finally get over the bulk of this and back on the machine, I will be swapping over to the new mask and hose (just got it before the cold).

JMHO but if you aren't able to use your machine due to all the coughing, etc., especially since you just got a mask and hose, I would just clean them really well and continue to use them. this stuff ain't cheap. Me that is just what I would do. Just something for you to think about.
02-19-2014 07:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
JonathanLennox Offline

Members

Machine: Philips Respironics REMstar System One
Mask Make & Model: Unsure
Humidifier: System One Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: unsure
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
I have bad allergies, and I feel like when I use my CPAP the air is blowing mucus up into my ear canals.

I also have constricted Eustachian tubes, so there's always a lot of pressure in my ears, and I feel like it's been getting worse lately.

Has anyone else had something like this with their CPAP? Any advice about what to do about it? (Could a different style of mask help?)
02-19-2014 08:57 PM
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi Jonathanlennox,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for suggestions.
Best of luck to you.

trish6hundred
02-19-2014 09:06 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

(02-19-2014 07:51 PM)me50 Wrote:  
(02-19-2014 02:05 PM)Homerec130 Wrote:  I am fighting a sinus cold with drainage going down the throat causing a very dry, non-productive hacking cough. My doctor said it was up to me if I wanted to use my machine or not. I tried it, but after the first night, I was still hacking so bad, I couldn't get to sleep and had to take the mask off. I have tried it each night to see if I could get it to work, but have the same results - get about 20 minutes and no more. I have also cranked the humidifier up higher than its usual setting, but that doesn't seem to help. I am using a nasal spray as well as taking prescription cough suppressants. As you can imagine, I am miserable between the constant coughing and the lack of sleep (mostly from coughing).

When I finally get over the bulk of this and back on the machine, I will be swapping over to the new mask and hose (just got it before the cold).

JMHO but if you aren't able to use your machine due to all the coughing, etc., especially since you just got a mask and hose, I would just clean them really well and continue to use them. this stuff ain't cheap. Me that is just what I would do. Just something for you to think about.

I haven't swapped them out yet as I haven't had the time. I am also doing some rearranging by the bed which will affect how my hose is run. I just got a hose buddy and need to "permanently" mount it plus some new bedside lamps so I need to refigure their placement.

With the way my insurance works, I get replacement parts whether I need them or not. They are sent on an automatic basis. Evidently I checked something somewhere that said to do it automatically and now can't uncheck it. So when I get the new parts, the old ones go into the trash. Somewhere along the line, I ended up with an extra set of parts so I always have an unopened mask and hose. I just keep rotating the stock. I think the aberration happened when I was down for my back problems and surgery and sleeping in the recliners in the house.

Anyway, hopefully, I will be back on the hose tonite and will see how that goes. My wife will be real happy as I will no longer be hacking.
02-20-2014 12:51 PM
ThatOtherGuy Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: RESMED S9 Autoset on APAP mode
Mask Make & Model: Phillips Amara + chinstrap
Humidifier: RESMED S9
CPAP Pressure: 5 to 17
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

I use eucalyptus oil in the humidifier to help keep the sinuses clear, its a medicinal purposes one for room humidifiers and I only use 0.5ml so the amount is miniscule. Being an anti bacterial agent it also keeps the humidifier tub fresh as well. I also suffer badly from allergies and have had very bad sinus issues in the past.
02-20-2014 03:31 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

(02-19-2014 08:57 PM)JonathanLennox Wrote:  I have bad allergies, and I feel like when I use my CPAP the air is blowing mucus up into my ear canals.

I also have constricted Eustachian tubes, so there's always a lot of pressure in my ears, and I feel like it's been getting worse lately.

Has anyone else had something like this with their CPAP? Any advice about what to do about it? (Could a different style of mask help?)

Have you just started using CPAP? If you have, then contact your sleep doc and see if he will agree to backing down the pressure a little for a few weeks or so then slowly increasing it again. This will give you and your ears more time to adjust.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
02-20-2014 08:05 PM
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

I've been wondering where I caught this stinkin' cold. Obviously from all you guys............
02-20-2014 10:29 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

yep, been sneezing and other stuff for 2 days now.

I think part of the problem is having 80 degree temps and then the temp dropping, allergies. Someone mentioned Eustachian tubes...my left ear always feels like it is stopped up. It has been checked several times and there is no fluid in it and I have been thinking it might be the pressure from my machine that is causing some of the issues. Between the stopped up feeling, ear ringing, it can be irritating to say the least. But, it isn't worth not using my machine so I deal with it.
02-20-2014 10:50 PM
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

Sex: Female

My Ear, nose & throat doctor recommended I use both an OTC (over the counter) allergy tablet plus a sinus rinse in addition to the cpap every night. I've had 3 colds since Christmas - just can't seem to stay healthy. Does anyone know how 'often' it is advised to use the sinus rinse? I know that it really seems to work well before I go to bed.
02-23-2014 02:19 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

(02-23-2014 02:19 PM)GrammaBear Wrote:  Does anyone know how 'often' it is advised to use the sinus rinse?
I think the problem with poor hygiene and not using distilled water or previously boiled water

Is Rinsing Your Sinuses Safe?
http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm316375.htm
02-23-2014 02:52 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Treatment] What to do when you have a cold? sleepytimegal 21 851 11-18-2016 05:55 PM
Last Post: BadGoodDeb
  Use CPAP machine to get a new baseline AHI? blueelement2016 5 351 11-12-2016 01:37 AM
Last Post: blueelement2016
  New CPAP Machine cerenkov 3 309 10-28-2016 08:43 PM
Last Post: cerenkov
  Newb Brisbane Hose Head BigWillyAus 10 532 10-20-2016 05:36 PM
Last Post: BigWillyAus
  [Pressure] Adjusting pressure on RESmart CPAP machine garyd86421 5 457 10-20-2016 10:32 AM
Last Post: garyd86421
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 2 6,165 10-12-2016 11:37 AM
Last Post: DariaVader
  [CPAP] Service Required Error Codes - Inner Workings of a CPAP machine SuperSleeper 18 65,581 10-10-2016 01:48 PM
Last Post: juan345