Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

cpap machine with a head cold
RE: cpap machine with a head cold
(02-19-2014, 02:05 PM)Homerec130 Wrote: I am fighting a sinus cold with drainage going down the throat causing a very dry, non-productive hacking cough. My doctor said it was up to me if I wanted to use my machine or not. I tried it, but after the first night, I was still hacking so bad, I couldn't get to sleep and had to take the mask off. I have tried it each night to see if I could get it to work, but have the same results - get about 20 minutes and no more. I have also cranked the humidifier up higher than its usual setting, but that doesn't seem to help. I am using a nasal spray as well as taking prescription cough suppressants. As you can imagine, I am miserable between the constant coughing and the lack of sleep (mostly from coughing).

When I finally get over the bulk of this and back on the machine, I will be swapping over to the new mask and hose (just got it before the cold).

JMHO but if you aren't able to use your machine due to all the coughing, etc., especially since you just got a mask and hose, I would just clean them really well and continue to use them. this stuff ain't cheap. Me that is just what I would do. Just something for you to think about.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have bad allergies, and I feel like when I use my CPAP the air is blowing mucus up into my ear canals.

I also have constricted Eustachian tubes, so there's always a lot of pressure in my ears, and I feel like it's been getting worse lately.

Has anyone else had something like this with their CPAP? Any advice about what to do about it? (Could a different style of mask help?)
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Jonathanlennox,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for suggestions.
Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2014, 07:51 PM)me50 Wrote:
(02-19-2014, 02:05 PM)Homerec130 Wrote: I am fighting a sinus cold with drainage going down the throat causing a very dry, non-productive hacking cough. My doctor said it was up to me if I wanted to use my machine or not. I tried it, but after the first night, I was still hacking so bad, I couldn't get to sleep and had to take the mask off. I have tried it each night to see if I could get it to work, but have the same results - get about 20 minutes and no more. I have also cranked the humidifier up higher than its usual setting, but that doesn't seem to help. I am using a nasal spray as well as taking prescription cough suppressants. As you can imagine, I am miserable between the constant coughing and the lack of sleep (mostly from coughing).

When I finally get over the bulk of this and back on the machine, I will be swapping over to the new mask and hose (just got it before the cold).

JMHO but if you aren't able to use your machine due to all the coughing, etc., especially since you just got a mask and hose, I would just clean them really well and continue to use them. this stuff ain't cheap. Me that is just what I would do. Just something for you to think about.

I haven't swapped them out yet as I haven't had the time. I am also doing some rearranging by the bed which will affect how my hose is run. I just got a hose buddy and need to "permanently" mount it plus some new bedside lamps so I need to refigure their placement.

With the way my insurance works, I get replacement parts whether I need them or not. They are sent on an automatic basis. Evidently I checked something somewhere that said to do it automatically and now can't uncheck it. So when I get the new parts, the old ones go into the trash. Somewhere along the line, I ended up with an extra set of parts so I always have an unopened mask and hose. I just keep rotating the stock. I think the aberration happened when I was down for my back problems and surgery and sleeping in the recliners in the house.

Anyway, hopefully, I will be back on the hose tonite and will see how that goes. My wife will be real happy as I will no longer be hacking.

Post Reply Post Reply
I use eucalyptus oil in the humidifier to help keep the sinuses clear, its a medicinal purposes one for room humidifiers and I only use 0.5ml so the amount is miniscule. Being an anti bacterial agent it also keeps the humidifier tub fresh as well. I also suffer badly from allergies and have had very bad sinus issues in the past.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2014, 08:57 PM)JonathanLennox Wrote: I have bad allergies, and I feel like when I use my CPAP the air is blowing mucus up into my ear canals.

I also have constricted Eustachian tubes, so there's always a lot of pressure in my ears, and I feel like it's been getting worse lately.

Has anyone else had something like this with their CPAP? Any advice about what to do about it? (Could a different style of mask help?)

Have you just started using CPAP? If you have, then contact your sleep doc and see if he will agree to backing down the pressure a little for a few weeks or so then slowly increasing it again. This will give you and your ears more time to adjust.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've been wondering where I caught this stinkin' cold. Obviously from all you guys............
Post Reply Post Reply
yep, been sneezing and other stuff for 2 days now.

I think part of the problem is having 80 degree temps and then the temp dropping, allergies. Someone mentioned Eustachian tubes...my left ear always feels like it is stopped up. It has been checked several times and there is no fluid in it and I have been thinking it might be the pressure from my machine that is causing some of the issues. Between the stopped up feeling, ear ringing, it can be irritating to say the least. But, it isn't worth not using my machine so I deal with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
My Ear, nose & throat doctor recommended I use both an OTC (over the counter) allergy tablet plus a sinus rinse in addition to the cpap every night. I've had 3 colds since Christmas - just can't seem to stay healthy. Does anyone know how 'often' it is advised to use the sinus rinse? I know that it really seems to work well before I go to bed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-23-2014, 02:19 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: Does anyone know how 'often' it is advised to use the sinus rinse?
I think the problem with poor hygiene and not using distilled water or previously boiled water

Is Rinsing Your Sinuses Safe?
http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/Consumer...316375.htm

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 87 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 305 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 624 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 199 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,730 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 366 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,291 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.