Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

cpap machine with a head cold
cpap machine with a head cold
Should you continue to use your cpap machine while suffering the symptoms of a head cold. Will the use prolong a cold or extend into other respetory problems? thx.
If the shoe fits, see if there is another one just like it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: cpap machine with a head cold
(02-19-2014, 07:34 AM)rp1scooter Wrote: Should you continue to use your cpap machine while suffering the symptoms of a head cold. Will the use prolong a cold or extend into other respetory problems? thx.

Unless your doctor tells you to stop using your machine, don't stop.
Just clean your mask and hose and maybe your water chamber more than you normally would. If you have a humidifier, it would hopefully help with your head cold. You may have to change the type of mask you use for comfort purposes.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a head cold last week and continued to use the machine throughout it. Since I use a FFM (and am a mouth breather anyway) it didn't make any difference in the treatment. It was actually easier to breathe with the mask on.

I soaked the mask each morning just for my peace of mind.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi rp1scooter,When I have a head cold, I keep using my machine.
There are sinus wrinses you can use to help with clearing out your head.
I think there is one by Neomed that comes in a bottle, but hang in there for more suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a head cold last week as well, i upped the humidity on my machine whiile i was sick and it made it comfortable to breathe.
Post Reply Post Reply
As the others have suggested, use a nasal rinse (I use the bottle), turn up the humidifier, and sleep well.

There's no need for extra cleaning as you can't get sick from your own germs. I do, however, wash my nasal pillows more just because they get gross. I've used mine through colds, sinus infections, and two bouts of bad bronchitis. The humidification of the CPAP made it soooo much better.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2014, 07:34 AM)rp1scooter Wrote: Should you continue to use your cpap machine while suffering the symptoms of a head cold. Will the use prolong a cold or extend into other respetory problems? thx.

My son has the nasal mask and he had to stop because he said he couldn't breathe through his mouth and his throat was very raw and sore.
(02-19-2014, 01:56 PM)Franklyspeaking Wrote:

My son has the nasal mask and he had to stop because he said he couldn't breathe through his mouth and his throat was very raw and sore.

I meant he can't breathe through his noseSleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I am fighting a sinus cold with drainage going down the throat causing a very dry, non-productive hacking cough. My doctor said it was up to me if I wanted to use my machine or not. I tried it, but after the first night, I was still hacking so bad, I couldn't get to sleep and had to take the mask off. I have tried it each night to see if I could get it to work, but have the same results - get about 20 minutes and no more. I have also cranked the humidifier up higher than its usual setting, but that doesn't seem to help. I am using a nasal spray as well as taking prescription cough suppressants. As you can imagine, I am miserable between the constant coughing and the lack of sleep (mostly from coughing).

When I finally get over the bulk of this and back on the machine, I will be swapping over to the new mask and hose (just got it before the cold).
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm just getting over a cold and it seems to work just as well. I turn up the humidity and I can actually breathe easier by morning.

If there is any coughing I get out the robitussin DM.

Cheers!

Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I suggest you try the nasal rinse right before bed.

It's easy to use. I prefer the bottle and the pre-made packets. I rinse out my nose, put on the mask, and go right to sleep. The pressure of the machine keeps the nasal passage opened.

Every once in a while I wake up with a single clogged nostril, the one that is down toward the mattress. I roll over and go back to sleep or I get up and use the rinse again.

I have bad seasonal allergies and am glad I do not have to go without my CPAP while suffering through them!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 93 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 310 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 633 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 200 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,745 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 370 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,294 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.