Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

cpap settings nasal/mask/pillows
cpap settings nasal/mask/pillows
hi , ive been diagnosed with sleep apnea and last wed picked up a cpap titration machine for 1 week and i return again on wed to pick a permanent machine up, apparently it looks the same but i presume it does not record the data,anyway im trying the nasal pillows and not doing bad with them but this morning i woke up around 2am with 1 nostril feeling sore and runny( other nights have been fine)i released the strap abit as i think it might have been abit tight on the nostrils and causing this problem??
also checked setting on the machine and it is set to mask, not sure if they have just forgotten to change it to pillows or does it not really make any differance?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: cpap settings nasal/mask/pillows
G'day madmax, welcome to Apnea Board.

The settings required for different types of mask vary by machine. Can you tell us the make and model of the machine you're using please? This will either be printed on the front of the machine somewhere, or else there will be a model number on a label at the back or underneath. If you have a humidifier, be sure not to turn the machine over without first removing the water tank! Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi madmax,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your question.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2016, 02:12 AM)madmax Wrote: hi , ive been diagnosed with sleep apnea and last wed picked up a cpap titration machine for 1 week and i return again on wed to pick a permanent machine up, apparently it looks the same but i presume it does not record the data,
Now is the time to insist that your permanent machine record full efficacy data. Having the data available and not needing it is not a problem. Not having the data available and needing it is a HUGE problem. So insist that the permanent machine be identical to the loaner---including the fact that the permanent machine records full efficacy data.

Quote:anyway im trying the nasal pillows and not doing bad with them but this morning i woke up around 2am with 1 nostril feeling sore and runny( other nights have been fine)i released the strap abit as i think it might have been abit tight on the nostrils and causing this problem??
Yep. Sounds like you have the headgear a bit too tight. You did the right thing in loosening the strap enough to reduce the piggy-nose feeling.

Quote:also checked setting on the machine and it is set to mask, not sure if they have just forgotten to change it to pillows or does it not really make any differance?
Technically it makes a (small) difference. I'm assuming that you current (loaner) machine is a Resmed. The Resmed machines do use the mask setting (ffm, nasal mask, or nasal pillows mask) to compute the estimated excess leak rate numbers. But the variation in leak rates is not as great as we often assume it is. Still, since you found the setting, change it to match the mask you are using and don't worry about how accurate or inaccurate the previously recorded data is. The previously recorded data is accurate enough to figure out if the current pressure level is high enough to work and whether you've got the leaks under control.

Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2016, 12:47 PM)robysue Wrote: The Resmed machines do use the mask setting (ffm, nasal mask, or nasal pillows mask) to compute the estimated excess leak rate numbers. But the variation in leak rates is not as great as we often assume it is. Still, since you found the setting, change it to match the mask you are using and don't worry about how accurate or inaccurate the previously recorded data is. The previously recorded data is accurate enough to figure out if the current pressure level is high enough to work and whether you've got the leaks under control.

while there may, or may not be any use of the mask settings for leak determination, (given the general similarity of vent rates with differing mask types, and the even greater variation of vent rates within the same mask type) setting the mask type DOES make a difference in pressure delivery.

full face masks, nasal masks and pillow masks have different, but similar according to type resistance values, ie, the resistance to airflow. the smaller the openings for the mask, the higher resistance.

the machine uses these resistance values to calculate the pressure compensation that it applies at the machine output, where the pressure is measured, to give you the proper pressure at the mask.

respironics appears to have copied this with the 'system one resistance' in their 60 series, but may have done a better job, by assigning different sizes of pillow masks different numbers, to better differentiate the resistance amounts.

also, it can affect other functions, such as the smartstart. the first time I tried a pillow mask, I forgot to change the settings from full face to pillows at first. when I took the mask off, I was disappointed that the machine didn't shut off automatically. after changing the mask type setting to pillows, the smartstart worked properly, with the machine shutting off a couple of seconds after I removed the mask.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 2 82 Yesterday, 11:58 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 10 16,999 Yesterday, 10:13 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Adjusting to Nasal Pillow Mask DenKen31 9 997 04-12-2024, 09:57 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  New to CPAP and struggling with my mask. jmswjunk4 2 88 04-11-2024, 10:21 AM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 24 11,116 04-08-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: cant exhale
  Cpap Mask Marks on Face and neck newtothis1 3 137 04-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 325 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.