Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

cpap turned itself off during sleep
cpap turned itself off during sleep
Resmed Airsense 10 auto turned itself off in wee hours of this morning, and I woke up feeling that I was not getting air...turned to look at the machine to see if the light was on, and it was not but before I could take off the mask and investigate, the light on the machine popped on and the air flow started up again. I could not get back to sleep, worried that it could happen again. Anyone have this issue?
Inspired
Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: cpap turned itself off during sleep
(01-13-2016, 06:23 AM)Inspired Wrote: Resmed Airsense 10 auto turned itself off in wee hours of this morning, and I woke up feeling that I was not getting air...turned to look at the machine to see if the light was on, and it was not but before I could take off the mask and investigate, the light on the machine popped on and the air flow started up again. I could not get back to sleep, worried that it could happen again. Anyone have this issue?

It's not supposed to do that and sounds broken.

Some have an "auto shutoff" so if you rip it off during the night, it doesn't sit there blowing with nobody attached, but that's not this case.

I'd definitely bring it back and see if they would swap it out for you. It probably needs service, but if you're like most of us, just sending it away for a month doesn't sound appealing.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

This happens if there is a power failure.
The machine turns off when there is no power and then restarts when the power comes up again making a beeping noise.
This process usually wakes people up.

I had this happen with my A10 2 times so far during the last 7-8 months.

I know there was power disruption because the oven clock would flash 0:00.

Check your clocks if this was the case for you too...
Otherwise consider it to be a fault and see if you can get it fixed.

Good Luck
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-13-2016, 07:44 AM)Terry Wrote:
(01-13-2016, 06:23 AM)Inspired Wrote: Resmed Airsense 10 auto turned itself off in wee hours of this morning, and I woke up feeling that I was not getting air...turned to look at the machine to see if the light was on, and it was not but before I could take off the mask and investigate, the light on the machine popped on and the air flow started up again. I could not get back to sleep, worried that it could happen again. Anyone have this issue?

It's not supposed to do that and sounds broken.

Some have an "auto shutoff" so if you rip it off during the night, it doesn't sit there blowing with nobody attached, but that's not this case.

I'd definitely bring it back and see if they would swap it out for you. It probably needs service, but if you're like most of us, just sending it away for a month doesn't sound appealing.

Thanks for responding, Terry. I googled this issue and found other users saying that if the auto start/stop is enabled, the machine might interpret a leak as the user taking off the mask, so it "auto stops". I did have auto stop/start enabled so now I have turned it off. Maybe this will resolve the issue. I did have more leaks than usual last night.
Overall, after two days on this cpap, I feel my brain fog lifting and am very happy about that.

(01-13-2016, 08:46 AM)Zeddy Wrote: Hi,

This happens if there is a power failure.
The machine turns off when there is no power and then restarts when the power comes up again making a beeping noise.
This process usually wakes people up.

I had this happen with my A10 2 times so far during the last 7-8 months.

I know there was power disruption because the oven clock would flash 0:00.

Check your clocks if this was the case for you too...
Otherwise consider it to be a fault and see if you can get it fixed.

Good Luck

Thanks for your reply, Zeddie. No power outage. See the post above, maybe the auto start/stop is the issue...time will tell.

Inspired
Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
Inspired,
Others have had the same issue with the Auto On/Off feature.
Let us know if that was the problem.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Excessive leaks and brownouts will also cause the auto to shut off. You can prevent the brownout issue by having a battery backup. I have had it happen once with the excessive leaks. Bothered me a couple of days, but got past that. I work on why the mask is having leaks. So far, I've resolved the issue with all but the Dream mask.

Yes, it's possible that it is a fault, but most of the time, there is another explanation.
Post Reply Post Reply
DW's machine was doing this and displaying blocked tube fault. machine was replaced and problem went away. I occasionally hear one of the UPSs click and sound a one beep alarm and wonder if dirty house power supply is more than her A10 could withstand. thinking about a UPS for each machine
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
My A10 has shut down several times at night. In each case it seemed to be caused by a power outage or at least a surge. When the weather looks bad, I hook up my backup battery system. On the backup system I have never had a problem.

Jeff
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had my power brick quit on me on a business trip to Korea. It would heat up very hot and a thermal sensor would shut it down. I was able to set it on a tile floor to use the floor as a heat sink and limp along until I got home. While I was in Korea, I went online and ordered a spare that was sitting at my doorstep when I got home. I also emailed my DME and arranged to get by bad one swapped out. I had one really short night of sleep on that trip but was otherwise OK.

I'm so used to sleeping with the machine that it's a catastrophe if it dies. I have a spare machine and a battery backup system. Unfortunately, that doesn't help on a business trip outside the country.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2016, 06:14 PM)foss Wrote: My A10 has shut down several times at night. In each case it seemed to be caused by a power outage or at least a surge. When the weather looks bad, I hook up my backup battery system. On the backup system I have never had a problem.

Jeff
Jeff, what kind of battery backup system do you use?

By the way I have not had any more problems with machine turning itself off since I stopped using the auto stop/auto start .

Thanks for your help.
Inspired
Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 192 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 162 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 166 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 3 186 03-11-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 490 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 204 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 209 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.