Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

cpap vs apap mode
cpap vs apap mode
what is the difference between a cpap setting of, say, 12 versus an apap setting of min 12 max 12?  looks like epr works in both modes. there must be a difference, or why have two modes?  
Thinking-about Unsure Dont-know
and what are the comparative advantages disadvantages of these two modes? when/why would someone choose one over the other?

thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: cpap vs apap mode
Using your example, there wouldn't be any difference. In fact, using those settings of 12/12 in auto mode is defeating its purpose. The reason for the Auto mode is because most people don't require the same pressure during a sleep session. You normally set the CPAP to the lowest pressure required to prevent normal (50%) hypopneas and apneas for comfort. You then set the higher pressure limit high enough to address the occasional more obstructive events.

With that said, some people don't respond well to the pressure changes of the Auto mode and can cause arousals. They would then choose the CPAP mode.

The only other "feature" that is available in the CPAP mode is if you are using EPR. In the CPAP mode, you are provided a inhale ramp response of either, Normal or Fast. This is how fast the CPAP returns to inhale pressure from the exhale pressure. By default this feature is set to Normal. In the Fast setting and the EPR set to 3, you can make your FFM appear to be alive.

I hope I've explained this well enough.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The APAP mode is to allow the machine to vary the pressure in response to your needs to prevent obstructive apneas but the min and max pressures are not the same. Mine, for example, are 9 and 14. My SleepyHead graphs shows that the pressure rises and falls throughout the night. The CPAP, fixed pressure mode, is for those who are better treated with fixed pressure. APAP mode with a min and max of 12 would be no different than CPAP set at 12.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
In auto mode with the same pressures you get get tracking of flow limitations and snores. In fixed mode you don't get those reports because fix mode doesn't need them to adjust pressure like in auto mode.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
that all makes sense. just thought if apap 12/12 is exactly same as cpap 12, there would be no need to have a cpap mode. my resmed autoset doesn't seem to have that Normal/Fast option, at least not in the main clinician's menu or in the epr settings. I don't use the ramp at all so if it's there, maybe why I don't see it. I understand variable versus fixed pressure although after trying both I don't know whether I respond better to one or the other - I often have too many unresolved apneas - even at apap max 20 - and apnea and/or leak associated awakenings whether fixed at 12 or auto at 12 - 20 (for example). don't think I can handle fixed pressure higher than 13.4 at least not with nasal pillows - higher pressures (and even lower pressures above 10 sometimes) blow my lips open; my wife complains about noise, I get frequent awakenings and a drool-soaked beard. yuk.

ahh. I send my last post before seeing your reply, W2.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2018, 06:40 PM)sheepless Wrote: I often have too many unresolved apneas - even at apap max 20.

If you post a #SleepyHead screenshot of the daily page here, we can try to help with those unresolved apneas. Follow the links in my signature line.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks, OR. will do, as soon as I figure out how (I have to re-read the steps I've seen linked below some signatures.)
Post Reply Post Reply
¸Hi sheepless,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
good luck with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
thank you trish6hundred and the many other selfless folks sharing their experience here. It's a wonderful thing you do and I look forward to learning from you all.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 363 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 557 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 426 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,410 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,147 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 585 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.