Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

Sex: Male

craigslist
Yesterday I bought a used model 650P PRS1 BiPAP Pro locally using craigslist. Got it for $280.

I've been searching for a deal like this for a long time. I was really wanting to get the 750P, but this will do. I sleep better knowing I have a back up machine ... just in case.

Blower motor has 289 hours on it. Looks like the original owner gave it a good try but couldn't tolerate the pressure of 25/18.

At first the idea of depriving him of a chance for success bothered me, but after talking to him I quickly realized there was no way he was going to keep trying. I see surgery in his future.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-18-2014 11:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

RE: craigslist
Good job that... I have seen these bargains on Craigslist as well, and I'm always tempted to pick up a few spares. It is unfortunate but true that many machines are purchased and supplied to people who really need them but just will not use them. In the end I suppose it's part of the "thinning of the herd" process.
06-18-2014 12:02 PM
goodonya Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: S9 Vpap Adapt
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: yes shut off with water in it
CPAP Pressure: Mode ASVAuto
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: No longer know the new sleep study instead of a break out of percentage OSA and CSA simply says OSA

I have seen some bargains in the area of battery backup stuff as well.

The thing that I wonder about is the basic inflexibility of the sleep medicine bunch. Is it effective treatment when people opt out of treatment when they cannot get even the slightest change in machine pressures?

Most of us in life have several areas where things are not to the highest bar, somehow for reasons the bar got lowered. The world did not stop. We did not get the best ideal thing but we forged on and made do. I have not seen where sleep medicine is like life and death critical surgery where one wrong move and the its the big dirt nap for the patient.

Sorry did not mean to hijack here just thinking about all those people not getting treatment after crashing into the present system and giving up and selling their sleep machines.
06-18-2014 12:43 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

(06-18-2014 12:43 PM)goodonya Wrote:  Sorry did not mean to hijack here just thinking about all those people not getting treatment after crashing into the present system and giving up and selling their sleep machines.

...and yet, this is life and death stuff. For instance in my case: If I had not received this "gift" of therapy, or not chosen to stay with it, my tendency to fall asleep behind the wheel would have no doubt continued, and possibly gotten worse. I wonder how many lives are lost each year to dozing off drivers. So, I wonder how many of the 50% or so people that give up on this therapy will end up dead or killing others in an "accident." To me, it's an accident if you don't know better. I know better and I would never again allow myself to be a risk to myself, my family or anyone else on the road because it was too "inconvenient" for me to learn and use the cpap therapy.

...now, THAT'S off topic.
06-18-2014 12:56 PM
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

This poor guy had sinus problems, too. So he had a full face mask and a pressure of 25. I don't think I could tolerate that, either.

Those of us who can tolerate what we've got would do well to be thankful. Just think where we'd be without CPAP therapy.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-18-2014 01:18 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
goodonya Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments: No longer know the new sleep study instead of a break out of percentage OSA and CSA simply says OSA

I hope I did not sound like I am against the therapy here. I have restricted my life in a huge way to huge expense while staggering through trying to get this right. I had a 35 year career in construction go away because I am somehow not just clicking in on this treatment.

Does not mean I am giving up. I am on my third machine and moving on from my second sleep doctor and second sleep study. I no longer allow my self to take road trips or work at my trade. I am not giving up.

The whole business of inflexibility driving people into not following through on treatment is real. A huge service here has been done to give people who want it a handle to help themselves while continuing to wrassle with the system.

These Doctors act like it is the pressures are set in stone or they want to be a sole source of information as to what they are doing and why without saying what they are doing and why.

Either way it does not fly for a lot of people. They do not get the treatment they need and should have not just for themselves but the rest of the people around them as well.
06-18-2014 03:09 PM
diamaunt Offline

Members-b

Machine: S9 VPAP Auto 36006
Mask Make & Model: mirage quattro/pilairo q
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 9-20ish
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

I've had very good luck with craigslist, so far I've picked up a m series cpap, s9 elite, vpap adapt, vpap auto and a prs1 560p.

had the m at first, then moved to the s9, decided I wanted an autoset, got the 560p, bought the adapt for a friend with csr caused by his then undiagnosed chf (which we discovered when I loaned him my old elite and went "oh, crap" after looking at his waveform data), then decided I didn't like the 560p so much, and came across the vpap auto, which I'm pretty happy with.

I like 'doing the deal' at a local starbucks... lots of people around, (comforting for those "bring cash" sellers) and usually easy to find a power outlet to plug the machine in and test it... Smile
06-18-2014 03:13 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

(06-18-2014 12:56 PM)retired_guy Wrote:  
(06-18-2014 12:43 PM)goodonya Wrote:  Sorry did not mean to hijack here just thinking about all those people not getting treatment after crashing into the present system and giving up and selling their sleep machines.

...and yet, this is life and death stuff. For instance in my case: If I had not received this "gift" of therapy, or not chosen to stay with it, my tendency to fall asleep behind the wheel would have no doubt continued, and possibly gotten worse. I wonder how many lives are lost each year to dozing off drivers. So, I wonder how many of the 50% or so people that give up on this therapy will end up dead or killing others in an "accident." To me, it's an accident if you don't know better. I know better and I would never again allow myself to be a risk to myself, my family or anyone else on the road because it was too "inconvenient" for me to learn and use the cpap therapy.

...now, THAT'S off topic.

Adding to it, while I had 'naturally' tailored my life to keeping me awake as a truck driver (smoking, pepsi habit, snacking, books on tape, etc) my heart was in actual fact dying, as my pulse would not drop below 122 (even with valium injected), and I could not eat and keep any food down the first four hours after waking (out one end or the other every time) doc said I was too tired and my body was rejecting food - and even though really fat (409lbs at my biggest)I slept 'best' on my stomach *only*. I really thought that my ability to sleep anywhere, at any time was a good smart thing - LOL.

The sad thing is for many, if they do not see/feel instant success, they will quit. For me it was a light switch type change - overnight - started dreaming again, and everything - took my heart the better part of ten years to 'heal', resting pulse is 60-70 now.

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
06-18-2014 04:56 PM
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

Gumtree in Australia is sort of mini craigslist but advertised prices are so much higher

Selling CPAP machine in US without prescription is illegal and for that reason CPAP auction been closed and you cannot buy CPAP on ebay

I would not feel comfortable buying a machine at any price from someone who don,t own the machine outright and money still owing to insurance
Edit: for this type of person, better if they keep the machine themselves and learn how to use it
After all, you can flog the machine but you can flog apnea, apnea does not goes away
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2014 05:44 PM by zonk.)
06-18-2014 05:15 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
goodonya Offline

Preferred Members

(06-18-2014 04:56 PM)Peter_C Wrote:  The sad thing is for many, if they do not see/feel instant success, they will quit. For me it was a light switch type change - overnight - started dreaming again, and everything - took my heart the better part of ten years to 'heal', resting pulse is 60-70 now.

Wow good work Pete!
06-18-2014 06:01 PM