Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Apex Wizard 220
Humidifier: Apex
CPAP Pressure: 8-12
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female
RE: craigslist
Being a newbie, may I ask if there is a hygiene issue with using a pap previously used by someone. Especially, someone who's medical history you won't know. How do you 'sanitize' it? I ask not out of criticism, but because I would want to buy a secondary unit but am concerned about the hygiene or lack thereof of the person I may be buying the unit from?
07-11-2014 11:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

Sex: Male

RE: craigslist
(07-11-2014 11:11 AM)Thegirls Wrote:  Being a newbie, may I ask if there is a hygiene issue with using a pap previously used by someone. Especially, someone who's medical history you won't know. How do you 'sanitize' it? I ask not out of criticism, but because I would want to buy a secondary unit but am concerned about the hygiene or lack thereof of the person I may be buying the unit from?

Well, first of all the air from a CPAP machine is pushed towards the patient. None of the nasties in the body are pushed towards the machine, so the only air that passes through the machine comes from the room it's in, not from the person using it.

Still, if they include a used hose and mask with the machine I just nod politely and then toss them in the trash when I get home.

Nevertheless, that's a valid concern. I rely on my judgement. I talk to the person and try to find out how the machine has been used in the past, but I try to do it in such a way that I don't directly ask.

I might say something like "Yeah, it's really hard to sleep with one of those things on."

They'll then tell me the story of how they used it, or how their uncle used it, and where it was used.

Then you can check the "run hours" in the menu and look for two things. You of course want a low number, but I also check to see if the hours used is consistent with the story they told me. And I check the therapy hours and pressure settings to see if they're also consistent. But usually by this time I've got a good feel for the honesty of the person. They're usually a bit sorry that they were unable to get the therapy to work and talk about their future plans for weight loss or surgery with of course deep concern. And when you're looking at the machine settings they're usually not curious at all.

A huckster, on the hand, usually can't stop talking and will not allow a conversation to go silent for more than a few seconds.

You can look at the outside of the machine for signs of use, too. Looking at the condition of the water tank is also an indication of how it was used.

There are a few forum members who take the machines apart, clean them, and put them back together. I recently did that with my own machine that's over two years old. This machine was used by me and I was always careful about keeping the filters changed, yet the inside was disgusting.

You can read about it here ...

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...0#pid75260

(Post #21 can be skipped if you want, as it describes a dead end.)

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
07-11-2014 12:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply