Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

Sex: Male

RE: crowdsourcing to "maximize the effectives of CPAP in the U.S."
(07-18-2013 04:51 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  
(07-18-2013 03:53 PM)DocWils Wrote:  But I remember during my year of hospital practice in the US all the pretty sales reps coming in and flirting, which was nice because I was young and single at the time, but it never got beyond a flirt. There was one from Pfizer I particularly remember.......

Was the one from Pfizer selling those little blue pills for men? Eat-popcorn
Also the "Little blue pill may help underweight babies thrive in womb"
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/little-bl...z2ZRAOUa9c
07-18-2013 05:04 PM
Find all posts by this user

Donate to Apnea Board
RonWessels Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: REMstar Auto AFlex DS560TS
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ComfortGel Blue
Humidifier: REMstar Heated Tube DS6T
CPAP Pressure: 11 - 20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: CMS50F Pulse Oximeter

Although a serious article, I particularly like the wording about "scientists hoping to arouse a reaction".
07-18-2013 05:15 PM
dhudiburg Offline

New Members

Machine: none
Mask Type: Not using mask
Mask Make & Model: none
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: none
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Hi I stumbled across this thread while looking at some reports on my web site. I'm glad I did because, through your eyes, I can see that I've made a few mistakes.

First of all, let me say I understand the skepticism, but it's misplaced. I'm really only trying to help. I clearly gave you the wrong picture, but let me explain and respond here.

Secondly, I only provided an option for CPAP users to contribute because I felt there might be some who see the value of what we are doing and want to help out.

I do expect to be able to provide some real benefits for patients who contribute to the project financially and join our advisory board -- mostly in the form of free equipment to test out -- but that isn't the point.

The way Indiegogo works is it is all centered around perks. So, if there happened to be some CPAP users who want to see us do the work we've set out to do, there really needs to be a 'perk' level associated with it to make it work in Indiegogo. So, I could have left CPAP users unrepresented in the perks or I could have done what I did, created *some* kind of perk.

Now, I think I should modify or remove them.

I also think I tried too hard to include every "stakeholder" in my message -- it's difficult to write for so many different audiences who each have their own perspective on CPAP therapy.

I created CPAP Horizon Project primarily to improve results by helping those who *serve* patients -- Physicians, Sleep Professionals, and CPAP Therapy providers. It's about giving providers the tools and information they need so that they can do all the right things and still manage to keep the doors open. (And yes, @DocWils, CPAP Provider and Physicians need a LOT of help if they are to do the kind of follow-up, education, troubleshooting, ongoing support, etc. that they need to do.)

I'm committed to solving a fairly complex set of problems which, ultimately lead to poor results for a large percentage of the sleep apnea population.

This is my first real step with this new organization, but it comes down mainly to this...

The needs of undiagnosed Sleep Apnea sufferers, and the average CPAP user, are not being effectively met. Thank goodness there are a few places like this forum where people can go to get the help they need because oftentimes, the system doesn't provide it.

CPAP users, in general, and on average, do not get the support and care they need to have the best possible chance of success and the best possible experience. That, we know, is a fact. I firmly believe that does not need to be the case.

With the right 'best practices' in place, the average results can be much, much better for millions of people. If I can help make that happen, I'm going to do it.

Let me answer some of the questions that were floated above.

(07-14-2013 02:24 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  They want the money to start it up and then charge everyone a monthly fee...for what? Sounds nice but...what's the PURPOSE?

The only monthly fee we charge is to CPAP Providers. Anyone else who wants to be a member and support what we are doing pays an annual fee. Physicians pay more than individual medical professionals, but they also get access for their whole staff.

The purpose of the monthly fee is to fund technology solutions, patient awareness campaigns, the maintenance and data collection associated with our therapy protocols, and a health information exchange that allows critical information to be shared among various providers to improve quality of care -- to name a few of our current projects.

The things we are working on are the things that must be in place if we are going to see any real improvement from the current situation.

For example, we are creating a web and mobile app called ManageMyCPAP with funds from CPAP Horizon Project. The purpose of the app is to make sure that every CPAP user gets the kind of follow-up and hassle-free service they need. It provides a direct connection for CPAP users to their to CPAP Providers and Physician. It's not really that fancy or high-tech, it just makes it easy to stay in touch, order supplies if needed, update basic address and insurance information etc.

Appropriate follow-up -- just asking a few questions a few times during the first few weeks of therapy -- or just checking in a couple of times per year -- increases chances of success dramatically. I want to make sure that follow-up happens.

(07-14-2013 09:56 PM)JJJ Wrote:  After reading the site it appears his plan was to appeal to as many groups as possible in order to maximize donations, never mind the fact that some groups are at cross purposes with each other.

Yes. I definitely want to get as many contributions as possible. But, like I said before, trying to make my appeal relevant to CPAP users came off way wrong. I know better, I shouldn't have overreached like that.

But, your point about cross purposes really highlights the need for a better approach to CPAP therapy. Why should Physicians, Sleep Professionals, CPAP Therapy Providers, and CPAP users be at cross purposes? Honestly, it doesn't have to be that way and the fact that this is a common feeling amongst CPAP users just highlights that the system is not working right.

(07-15-2013 07:47 AM)grumpycat Wrote:  So, this looks like a provider oriented organization which sees an "irresistible product" in the CPAP and wants to cash in.

Yes. I create products. I've done so in many different areas but mostly in medical devices. I've created shoulder implants, knee braces, trauma products, among other things. I like medical devices because of the challenge and because there is more purpose to it than some consumer widget or another. I do like to get paid too. :-)

I focus on opportunity a lot because that's what brings about change in healthcare in the United States. That's what brings innovation and better therapies. Believe me, the government isn't going to fix these kinds of problems. So, we are left with private healthcare businesses who need to step up and solve the problem. If I'm going to recruit businesses to help me raise the standard of care, I can only do so by showing them how it will improve *their* bottom line as well.

(07-17-2013 02:41 AM)archangle Wrote:  Read their web page. It's pretty clear that it's about helping the doctors and DMEs, not working directly with the patients.

It would really be helpful if the CPAP doctors and DMEs were more knowledgeable and did a better job. Maybe this organization will help.

The skeptic in me worries this may just be about more effective marketing.

Thank you! I was getting a bit depressed there.

I'm not going to respond to every wrong assumption, but I did want to try to answer some of the questions that were brought up.

Also, I'm happy to answer more. I'm always very open to advice and feedback and, when we open our app to the next round of beta testers, I hope that maybe some of you will try it out and give me feedback and suggestions.

I'm off to dinner, but I'll be back at the computer later. Looking forward to getting to know you all better.
07-18-2013 06:46 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15

Other Comments:

(07-18-2013 04:18 PM)RonWessels Wrote:  
(07-18-2013 03:53 PM)DocWils Wrote:  At one time I was drowning in pill samples - I used to give them to my patients instead of sending them to the pharmacy - got me into trouble with the pharmacists and they pushed for legislation to stop me and my colleagues from handing out the pills.

Umm, just what were you supposed to do with those pills, if not give them to patients? Poker chips? "I'll see your antibiotic and raise you an anxiety suppressant"?

Samples were supposed to be used sparingly, mostly the idea was to try out a patient on one of them and see if it was something we'd use again, etc, but the amount I ended up having was overwhelming. Some doctors gave them to patients and charged the same as if they were giving out the normal, non sample stuff (I didn't - I always gave them free) but it prompted the government to crack down and we had a referendum on whether doctors could dispense medicine directly from the office or if it was only the pharmacies that could do it.
07-18-2013 07:41 PM
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15

Other Comments:

(07-18-2013 04:51 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  
(07-18-2013 03:53 PM)DocWils Wrote:  But I remember during my year of hospital practice in the US all the pretty sales reps coming in and flirting, which was nice because I was young and single at the time, but it never got beyond a flirt. There was one from Pfizer I particularly remember.......

Was the one from Pfizer selling those little blue pills for men? Eat-popcorn

No, that was years before those pills came out. And I didn't need them either back then. Now I wouldn't know what I would need them for anymore Wink
07-18-2013 07:42 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

(07-18-2013 06:46 PM)dhudiburg Wrote:  I'm off to dinner, but I'll be back at the computer later. Looking forward to getting to know you all better.
Bon appetit
Welcome
(This post was last modified: 07-18-2013 08:05 PM by zonk.)
07-18-2013 08:04 PM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

(07-18-2013 06:46 PM)dhudiburg Wrote:  The purpose of the monthly fee is to fund technology solutions, patient awareness campaigns, the maintenance and data collection associated with our therapy protocols, and a health information exchange that allows critical information to be shared among various providers to improve quality of care -- to name a few of our current projects.

With all due respect, "fund technology solutions", "patient awareness campaigns", "maintenance and data collection with our therapy protocols" and a "health information exchange" sound like a bunch of "important-sounding B.S." with no specifics whatsoever. I had the same impression of your website - a lot of "important-sounding" terminology with no specifics at all.

You want people to donate $30,000 to you for all these "goals", but can't even let anyone know what these terms mean with any degree of detail? This looks strangely like a lot of padded resumes I've received from job applicants who had no real accomplishments - they use these types of "fluffy phrases" which have no real meaning. Oh-jeez

Here's the problem:
you want people to give you money up front, without you doing any work to earn it, no proven history of success in doing whatever it is you're wanting to do, nor giving any specifics on what will be done with that up-front money. I have a problem with that.

If you're legit, maybe you can take this as constructive criticism and change your website accordingly. But your lack of detail greatly bothers me. You sound like just another marketing jockey looking to "cash in" on the lucrative sleep medicine field. If you're not legit (which I strongly suspect), and you're simply trying to scam people, well, you deserve nothing but contempt.

Either way, I'm closing this thread and moving it to the Off-Topic Forum.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

07-18-2013 08:48 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Thread Closed