Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

dangers of using a cpap machine?
dangers of using a cpap machine?
I just stumbled across an interesting closed thread that ran from 2012 to early 2015:  http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...AP-Machine[url=http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Dangers-of-Using-a-CPAP-Machine?page=8][/url]

it gets a little carried away toward the end but the early posts in particular I found quite interesting.

anyway, I'm posting the link because it's a question most if not all of us ask at some point.  plus, since that thread is closed, I wanted to start a thread for new comments and updated information, should anyone care to participate.

(hope the link works; not sure I inserted it in the proper AB forum approved way.)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: dangers of using a cpap machine?
It all started with the suggestion that high CPAP pressure may cause strokes, hemorrhaging, or other issues. At max pressure a CPAP can't even inflate a balloon. Even if one were to run out of control I doubt the little blower could produce much more pressure.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
to me, that's the salient question. what evidence is there of any danger? how can the machines be misused or abused? what is there to justify physician and dme provider oversight, particularly when many of us here have had such poor support from them?
Post Reply Post Reply
The benefits far outweigh any risks. Full stop.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2019, 08:22 PM)sheepless Wrote: what is there to justify physician and dme provider oversight, particularly when many of us here have had such poor support from them?

The vast majority of people can't be bothered to check their own data.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have heard there is a chance of developing central apnea's if traditional CPAP is used at too high a pressure. I have no idea if this applies to APAP / BIPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2019, 12:06 AM)mssgent Wrote: I have heard there is a chance of developing central apnea's if traditional CPAP is used at too high a pressure.  I have no idea if this applies to APAP / BIPAP.

I saw that as well, and who knows if severe enough aerophagia can cause something all of us would rather not have.  But really, I have never seen a stark warning to avoid something about PAP therapy, or to be sure to do X, or Y, or else!  It's like stopping eating sugar; it may not be a whole helluva lot of fun, but it certainly won't kill you, and is quite likely to save your life if you're a little/lot overweight.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2019, 12:06 AM)mssgent Wrote: I have heard there is a chance of developing central apnea's if traditional CPAP is used at too high a pressure.  I have no idea if this applies to APAP / BIPAP.

Yes and no. You don't develop central apnea if you use too high a pressure. In some cases central apnea emerges if you use a high pressure that causes too much washout of co2, but you don't 'develop' it in a way that you 'keep' it. once you change your setting it goes away. If you took a non Sleep Apnea person and caused too much of co2 washout they could have centrals while using that particular settup. If you removed the cpap the next night, they would have no centrals.

There isnt any more danger of using a cpap at any of the supported pressures then any regular device connected to a mains. Ventilation equipment used on comatose patient reach 50+ pressures compared to 20 on a cpap or 25 on a bipap.
Post Reply Post Reply
No...
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
Getting into a vehicle and simply driving someplace is way more dangerous than using a CPAP.  Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 87 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 305 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 624 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 199 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,730 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 366 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,291 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.