Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

dangers of using a cpap machine?
RE: dangers of using a cpap machine?
so why make us jump through all the hoops at no small expense? if most won't be bothered to check their data, let them hire a doctor and dme provider. if there's no danger of misusing and abusing cpap, why not allow those of us interested in managing our own treatment to do so without all the red tape? one of the better arguments for cpap rx in the old thread is that insurance won't pay without a prescription. couldn't that be changed too?

I think the prescription and insurance aspects are interesting topics for discussion. but I'm also genuinely interested in learning if there are risks many of us aren't aware of. I'm inclined to doubt it. the only one I do know of is with asv and a certain kind of heart failure - and even that is debatable. near as I can tell, doctors have people on the wrong machines and at the wrong pressures all the time.
Post Reply Post Reply
No system is perfect, there might be a very very rare situation in which someone has adverse effects due to some anomaly, but it would a rare exception. I'm not sure if there is any evidence that suggest that cpap could be truly dangerous and if there is would like sources for that. Cpap treatment has definitely helped a lot of people and I can't imagine going back to not using given the near none existent risks that it may pose.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2019, 12:06 AM)mssgent Wrote: I have heard there is a chance of developing central apnea's if traditional CPAP is used at too high a pressure.  I have no idea if this applies to APAP / BIPAP.

FWIW In some cases, mine definitely included, BPAP was very much worse in causing more central apneas.

As for xPAP being a danger, once one has apnea, the real danger is not turning the xPAP on.

PS hello AB world, been on hiatus from severe illnesses, OK-ish now which I'm very thankful. Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2019, 11:19 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: PS hello AB world, been on hiatus from severe illnesses, OK-ish now which I'm very thankful.  Coffee

Dave,
I have been wondering where you were.  You have been missed. Smile  Glad to see you back.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2019, 11:54 AM)OpalRose Wrote:
(05-20-2019, 11:19 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: PS hello AB world, been on hiatus from severe illnesses, OK-ish now which I'm very thankful.  Coffee

Dave,
I have been wondering where you were.  You have been missed.  Smile  Glad to see you back.

Thanks. Sorry for the off-topic, had extra extreme back pain from Prednisone caused osteoporosis that caused 5 lumbar vertebrae fractures. Kinda back to almost normal... Smile

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My strong personal belief is that there is NO danger to using a CPAP-BiLevel-, etc. But I do believe that for a person with sleep apnea there are a bunch of dangers to ones health by NOT using a XPAP. I know from long personal experience that I have benefitted greatly from CPAP treatment.

TheDuke
Post Reply Post Reply
My sleep doctor told me I could cause pneumothorax? If the pressure was set incorrectly. I don't know if that was just for me (i.e. an assessment of my capabilities/limitations in this area) or generally for all.

I have heard back from forum members who say it is not true.  

If the forum members are correct than the doctor is lying, I suppose with the intention of scaring me into obeying him.  Of course he has the option of monitoring my sleep data and fine tuning it, so I would obey??? him because he is correct.  Too-funny

I found something on Livestrong website.  It is possible the emergencies the author is referring to are real emergencies like a car accident or a heart attack.

CPAP Contraindications

STACEY ANDERSON

CPAP stands for Continuous Positive Airway Pressure, also referred to as noninvasive ventilation. CPAP is used by hospitals and emergency medical services to help patients breathe. According to EMS1.com, patients wear a special mask that sends air into the nose and down the windpipe. This stream of air creates positive pressure, holding the airway open. However, CPAP use is not advised in some emergencies

Pneumothorax or Penetrating Chest Trauma

The book "General Critical Care" notes that the high-pressured air from CPAP ventilation can cause a patient with a piercing chest injury to develop a collapsed lung, or pneumothorax. An existing lung collapse could escalate into a tension pneumothorax, a life-threatening condition where the air under pressure enters the space around the lungs, compressing the lungs and the heart.

Inability to Protect Airway

A 2008 article published in "International Journal of COPD” notes that CPAP requires a patient to be alert and able to protect the airway by coughing up mucus and having an active gag reflex, as well as be able to control breathing -- breathing deeper or slower if asked. A stroke patient, or someone who is unconscious or has an unstable heart condition, may not be able to do so.

Stomach Surgery or Bowel Bleeding

A 2006 article published in the "Journal of Emergency Medical Services" cautions about using CPAP if the patient has a history of upper bowel bleeding or stomach surgery. The pressurized air can be forced into the stomach, causing the stomach to inflate. This swelling of the stomach may tear healing tissue or cause vomiting into the CPAP mask.

Inability to Clear Mucus

The "Journal of Emergency Medical Services" article also notes that patients with high amounts of lung mucus or who are suspected of having pneumonia, a lung infection, should not receive CPAP. The air pressure may push the mucus deeper into the lungs, spreading the infection and making deep suction difficult.

Low Blood Pressure Secondary to Blood Loss

"General Critical Care” points out that a patient’s blood pressure could drastically drop due to the effects of CPAP on the heart and blood vessels. Patients with already low blood pressure caused by blood loss may go into shock if CPAP is used. Shock is a life-threatening condition caused .....
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
great info! I notice these are mostly situations in which people have pretty significant emergency or critical care conditions. while they don't serm like situations our tinkering would affect because professionals would be managing our care, it's a reminder to folks like me that don't have other significant health issues at the moment to pay attention to the interaction of cpap with everything else that ails us.
Post Reply Post Reply
Amazon has a kit for CPAP: for $19.95 includes blower air wand, tire inflation chuck, beach ball and balloon inflator. Extra $10 gets you a 3/8 inch air ratchet. Hear that shop air compressor sound? That’s my CPAP.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 13 215 10 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 4 163 03-14-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,447 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 345 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,252 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 254 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP machine fell on floor luigi28me 6 504 01-14-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.