Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Upper pressure setting on a CPAP Autoset machine
RE: Upper pressure setting on a CPAP Autoset machine
(05-17-2015, 05:57 AM)player Wrote: Can higher pressures cause air to be pumped into the stomach?

Definitely.

It is called aerophagia and is a very common reason people find they need to lower the Max Pressure setting.

Lowering the Max Pressure may not treat obstructive apneas/hypopneas as well but sometimes the settings must be lowered to avoid causing worse conditions.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-17-2015, 05:57 AM)player Wrote: Can higher pressures cause air to be pumped into the stomach?

If my minimum pressure is set above 6, I get air pushed into my stomach. Maximum pressure (now 15) does not seem to be a problem.

It was the air in stomach problem that prompted my change from a fixed pressure to autoset pressure. 7.5 of constant CPAP caused severe discomfort from stomach air.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2015, 03:23 PM)Programmer Wrote: If my minimum pressure is set above 6, I get air pushed into my stomach. Maximum pressure (now 15) does not seem to be a problem.

It was the air in stomach problem that prompted my change from a fixed pressure to autoset pressure. 7.5 of constant CPAP caused severe discomfort from stomach air.

Hi Programmer, welcome to Apnea Board.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Yours is an interesting case. Can't guess what the dynamics are. I think most people are more bothered by too high of a Max Pressure causing air swallowing, rather than too high of a Min Pressure.

As they say, everybody is different.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-16-2015, 06:04 PM)retired_guy Wrote: The theory is it could always stay at 20. But in practice I have experienced occasions where the machine decided to crank the pressure way up when it was not necessary. I have holes in my socks to prove it.

I too like a nice, tight range. Enough to let the machine think it's in charge, but still with a short leash.

I never had the issue with my ResMed S9 AutoSet but the AirSense 10 I have now went nuts on me a few times with runaway pressure and other strange failure symptoms. I started rebooting it by unplugging/re-plugging the power connector and the problems went away. The power supply overheated in Korea a month ago. I have almost 30 days on the replacement power supply without rebooting the machine and it's been rock-solid. My DME wanted to swap out the A10 when I emailed them from Korea. I wanted to collect data on the machine with the new power supply and have a spare S9 if the A10 went out to lunch. So far, so good.

I started this last September with a constant 17 AHI and backed it off to 15-17 and then 14-17. I've always had great results and wanted a bit less aggressive pressure. My 30-day AHI is 0.3. I've lost interest in messing with the pressures. Even a bad night after too much alcohol comes in at AHI < 2.0.
Post Reply Post Reply
The comment about the lower setting of 4 causing a feeling of smothering is interesting. That's what is happening to me on occasion. I have my APAP machine set for 4 and twenty and have not had a problem yet with the higher number. I will keep an eye out.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2015, 10:32 PM)Farther Wrote: The comment about the lower setting of 4 causing a feeling of smothering is interesting. That's what is happening to me on occasion. I have my APAP machine set for 4 and twenty and have not had a problem yet with the higher number. I will keep an eye out.
4 to 20 is basically the default wide open settings. Many will have problems at the lower end as it is too low. You should look at your data and see what a higher lower number should be or ask how to figure it out.
[size=x-small]Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) BiLevel Auto
Post Reply Post Reply
What I did is set my lower pressure to the pressure I use 95% of the time which was 10 and set my max at 13 as I never went above needing 12.6 over a two week period. This has worked well for me for the last several months. Mouth leak is my only issue these days.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 26 495 6 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 93 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 125 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 160 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 310 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 633 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 201 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.