Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

decided on mask, undecided on machine
RE: decided on mask, undecided on machine
Good luck with your choice. I'm, so far, liking my machine. It seems to have everything one would need. Though some say the "for her" version is slightly better.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2015, 07:05 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: Meh. There's that, but I'm not convinced it matters enough to worry about. One of them "inconsequential increments". Pressure is pressure in a small slowly leaking vessel that is continually refilled and kept at the set pressure. And in my opinion, FWIW, there is not enough length for many of the factors that would come into play on a much larger scale (like a 100 or a 1,000 mile pipeline) to matter in any functional way on these tubes. Neither the S-8 or the DeVillbiss Intellipap have settings for the 15 mm slimline tubing I use on them. And I cannot tell any meaningful difference in performance.

I think the hose diameter and length may have some effect on transient phenomena such as bilevel/Flex/EPR switching and apnea detection. The machine is trying to "see" what's happening at the other end of the hose based on pressure and flow at the blower unit.

Some people have reported problems with bilevel high/low switching when using a longer than normal hose.

I agree that there's probably little effect on pressure for manual CPAP without any form of exhale relief.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2015, 07:05 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote:
(04-08-2015, 10:53 AM)PaytonA Wrote:
(04-08-2015, 06:15 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: The tube connections are the same for both the 22mm standard tubes and the 15mm diameter slimline tubes. They are interchangeable as far as the tube connectors are concerned.

OMM

Very true but you will need to make sure that the machine that you get is set for the correct tubing..

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Meh. There's that, but I'm not convinced it matters enough to worry about. One of them "inconsequential increments". Pressure is pressure in a small slowly leaking vessel that is continually refilled and kept at the set pressure. And in my opinion, FWIW, there is not enough length for many of the factors that would come into play on a much larger scale (like a 100 or a 1,000 mile pipeline) to matter in any functional way on these tubes. Neither the S-8 or the DeVillbiss Intellipap have settings for the 15 mm slimline tubing I use on them. And I cannot tell any meaningful difference in performance.

Not advising anyone to do this - do what you wanna do - just offering the opinion that I don't think it really matters.

OMMOHY

My S8 VPAP Auto does have a setting for 22mm or 15 mm hoses, and if it did not make any difference why do you think that Resmed and PR put the setting in their machines? Glamor? Kitch? Geekiness?

I did feel a difference when I used a 22mm hose without changing the setting from 15mm.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I started with a Wisp nasal mask before moving on to ResMed AirFit P10 nasal pillows. Those work better for me. With the Wisp mask, I found it was critical to clean the mask every day and wash my face thoroughly before going to bed to get rid of as much skin oil as possible. Even then, I'd sometimes have oil buildup and the mask would stop sealing well in the middle of the night. I moved on to pillows before experimenting with some kind of pad between the mask and my face.

I have a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet and an S9 AutoSet as a spare. They're both fine. If you live somewhere that sees power outages, the thing to be aware of with the A10 is that it runs on 48v DC and the AC power brick is fussy about the power source so you can't run it with an inverter or a lot of generators. You need to buy their ResMed 12v to 24v DC-DC converter for $85.00 to run it off a battery. Some other brands run off 12v so it's cheaper to set them up to run off a 12v battery.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tested a Philips S9 and the Resmed A10. One big difference for me was the humidifier reservoirs. The S9 is full of ridges and supports that make it more difficult to clean. The Resmed is just one main open space that is easy to completely clean and wipe out. No nooks and crannies for bacteria to grow.

The A10 humidifier is also easier to remove, fill and install. A DME tried to sell me on the top hose connector of the S9 being a great feature, but after trying it and the rear hose of the A10 I find the rear hose connection is better.

A couple of times I have pulled the A10 accidentally by the hose onto my bed. It stayed upright. I think if the S9 was to get pulled by the hose it would tip over.

I am glad I got the Resmed over the S9.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to everyone for the very warm welcome and the advice. :-)

I really appreciate all your tips - so very helpful for a first time hosehead-to-be.

I hope the WISP works well for me in the long run. If not, I'm leaning towards nasal pillows, instead of full-face masks. Either way I hope my skin will be able to tolerate the material. I do have some occasional skin reaction with rubber - not all types though. I assume that regardless of mask type or brand - that at the very least, they should all be hypoallergenic. I guess I will just have to try to find out. But if you have some more tips re this, thanks in advance.

Taking careful note of that 48 VDC on the Resmed Might be a deal-breaker for me if I can't find a suitable converter. So I might end up with Respironics, because it is easier to come up with a 12 volt dc source.

Again, many thanks to you!!! :-) :-D

Post Reply Post Reply
I thought the Resmeds are 24v not 48v?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2015, 04:01 AM)player Wrote: I thought the Resmeds are 24v not 48v?

It might be different for 220v? For what it is worth, my ResMed adapter says Output DC 24v.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
A 12 volt Respironics 60 series auto would be easier to adapt to battery power than a 24 volt
Resmed. Both are very well made and accepted machines. Be sure to try out the Airfit P10 pillows mask as it is a very comfortable and quiet, although the headgear does not work for everyone.

Your supplier will assist you with hoses. The PRS1 60 series heated hose is 15 mm but has a standard 22 mm fitting for a mask. It is automatically detected by the machine, so you don't have to worry about settings.

Welcome to the forum.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2015, 04:01 AM)player Wrote: I thought the Resmeds are 24v not 48v?

I think the S9 and Air10 ResMeds are all 24v. It's somewhat irrelevant since they apparently won't work off of straight DC, they have to be connected to the ResMed power supply or converter which sends some sort of secret signal, or they won't work.

I'm not sure whether the A10 models will run off of an inverter. The ResMed manual for battery use is in my signature line, and it mentions inverter specs for S9, and converter numbers for A10 and S9, but doesn't mention inverters for A10. It's unclear whether they omitted that information deliberately, just forgot, or just haven't added that information yet.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,243 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Cleaning the Airsense machine itself (not the mask, tube, chamber)? dharma2255 3 154 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected kc90 7 322 02-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Woke up feeling air starved, turned machine off fell back to sleep but with mask on Phil487 7 907 01-20-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Phil487
  [CPAP] Significant noise from mask since change of CPAP machine! SwissTruffle 7 755 01-03-2024, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] I cannot keep my mask on, and I'm thinking of returning the machine. blakeh36 1 386 11-12-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  How do I reduce machine noise with the P30i mask? TiredTom111 3 824 08-07-2023, 06:00 AM
Last Post: Sleepy Quixote

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.