Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

desperate: stopping cpap for now
RE: desperate: stopping cpap for now
(08-16-2014, 06:41 PM)storywizard Wrote: had started this thread...
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...and-events

Hi storywizard,

In my view, the key thing to make sure happens (right away as soon as your doctor gets back, before your sleep study) is that you are scheduled not for a standard CPAP titration, and not for a standard bi-level titration, but for an ASV bi-level titration.

Do not let them schedule you for a standard CPAP titration or for a standard bi-level titration, or you will be delayed more months to see if a standard CPAP or APAP or bi-level machine perhaps with oxygen supplementation would perhaps be "good enough" for you. What a colossal waste of time and money, when what you probably need is an ASV machine.

Good luck, and take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
The best thing you can do for yourself is be the squeaky wheel, don't allow them to push you off with their schedules, demand they see you sooner or send you to someone who can see you sooner. I regret immensely not seeking treatment sooner than I did. Hindsight is 20/20 and there is a lot of people here with good hindsight take their collective advice. Wish you all the best.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-16-2014, 08:07 PM)vsheline Wrote:

Hi storywizard,

In my view, the key thing to make sure happens (right away as soon as your doctor gets back, before your sleep study) is that you are scheduled not for a standard CPAP titration, and not for a standard bi-level titration, but for an ASV bi-level titration.

Do not let them schedule you for a standard CPAP titration or for a standard bi-level titration, or you will be delayed more months to see if a standard CPAP or APAP or bi-level machine perhaps with oxygen supplementation would perhaps be "good enough" for you. What a colossal waste of time and money, when what you probably need is an ASV machine.

--- Vaughn

I will do my best...

thanks for the support it means a lot to me...
SW

(08-16-2014, 09:02 PM)Galactus Wrote: The best thing you can do for yourself is be the squeaky wheel, don't allow them to push you off with their schedules, demand they see you sooner or send you to someone who can see you sooner. I regret immensely not seeking treatment sooner than I did. Hindsight is 20/20 and there is a lot of people here with good hindsight take their collective advice. Wish you all the best.

I will do what I can, maybe even pay for my own study..

thanks for your help...

SW

Post Reply Post Reply
Call, keep calling, call again, b*tch and moan, and complain, be so annoying they have no choice but to help you. My wife is extremely good at this, I sick her on anyone that won't help me quick enough, just don't let her see this post otherwise I could be the next victim. But seriously just be a pain in the behind until they get you help. Don't be as stupid as some of us were to go untreated just because it was inconvenient.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-16-2014, 07:29 PM)bwexler Wrote: If your trial machine was on a fixed pressure of 10 cm, things don't make sense.
You apparently have not had a sleep study or titration study.
It would seem your machine should have been set for a range of pressures if this was a trial titration.

Yep...I am no expert (not by a long shot) but I think this gent would have been better off with a good APAP machine. That way the machine would have self-adjusted for any variance in his needs.
Post Reply Post Reply
You mention that your wife is ill as well. Taking care of her can also be part of your sleep issues and exhaustion. Stress can also play a role in that as well.

Several others have mentioned things that could also be problematic.
The major thing you should consider doing is to get in to the doc's office immediately (not next Friday). Usually a doc on vacation has someone covering for him/her. Some doctor's offices have PA's and/or NP's that you can see.

If you don't get to the doc yourself, you can be jeopardizing your life and who will be able to take care of your wife?
Post Reply Post Reply
Your other thread indicates you may have a CAI of 13. Look into that some more. You may simply have central apnea and need an ASV machine.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Be careful when changing sleep study groups. There are good ones and there are not so good ones. I was lucky. The group that I got nailed my prescription and I had it set the same for my new S9 and my AHI has been between 0.0 and 0.6 for the last 3 days. My leaks are well below the redline. As I said-I got one of the good ones.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Had a wonderful sleep last night, obviously not feeling great yet, but I think it is the right decision, given my situation to stop the CPAP therapy until I can have the Sleep Study..

Thanks for all the support, you folks have been wonderful...

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-16-2014, 08:07 PM)vsheline Wrote:

Hi storywizard,

--- Vaughn

Could not afford an ASV machine...so won't even go there..

thanks for the support though...all the best,

SW

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mask anxiety is making me desperate - any help appreciated! Tropicalhammock777 9 720 11-14-2023, 02:47 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  Am I doing this right (OSCAR)? - Desperate and Need help Psperez27 5 496 10-15-2023, 05:51 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Desperate for Humidity level help please luigi28me 4 649 09-24-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: Lucky7
  [Treatment] Desperate for assistance. UARS and APAP vermilion48 3 664 09-11-2023, 11:37 PM
Last Post: jwest
  [CPAP] CA increase after stopping with drinking Sprunk 12 1,405 05-30-2023, 02:47 PM
Last Post: restless51
  Stopping AirSense 10 AutoSet Nailuj 3 412 04-20-2023, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  New Member desperate for help Mandrake 17 1,341 10-18-2022, 02:55 PM
Last Post: Mandrake

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.