desperate: stopping cpap for now
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

Sex: Male

RE: desperate: stopping cpap for now
(08-17-2014 06:46 PM)storywizard Wrote:  Could not afford an ASV machine...so won't even go there..

Well, I think your symptoms match Central or Complex Sleep Apnea, and in my view without ASV you would likely continue spending time and money with little benefit.

Used ASV machines are surprisingly affordable.

To keep up to date, you can occasionally check out prices at Supplier #2. (Link to Supplier List is at top of all forum pages.) Their inventory varies weekly or monthly, so one would need to keep checking periodically, and prices include professional cleaning and usually new water chamber and new hose and 6 month or longer warrantee.

I would recommend one of the following models:
1. PRS1 DS960 BiPAP autoSV Advanced (allows heated hose)
2. PRS1 DS950 BiPAP autoSV Advanced (doesn't allow heated hose)
3. ResMed S9 VPAP Adapt REF# 36037 (ASV and ASVauto modes)
4. ResMed S9 VPAP Adapt REF# 36007 (ASV but not ASVauto mode)

Or an alternative to ASV would be the ResMed S9 VPAP ST-A or PRS1 BiPAP AVAPS DS1160 or DS1150, but I think those are not any cheaper.

Another option (which would be cheaper and probably more comfortable than ASV) would be CPAP/APAP/BiPAP coupled with Supplemental O2. Supplemental O2 sometimes (meaning "in some patients") largely eliminates Central Apneas but regular monitoring (meaning weekly or whenever changing meds or when traveling, etc) of blood O2 levels (SpO2) while asleep is needed to avoid the serious dangers of getting too much O2, so you would also need to invest in a comfortable recording Pulse Oximeter (meaning one which is worn like a wrist watch, with separate finger sensor cup which applies less pressure on the finger).

Actually, I recommend getting a Pulse-Ox right away, such as are available from Supplier #19.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2014 07:53 PM by vsheline.)
08-17-2014 07:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Kate Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP S
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Philips Resperonics FitLife
Humidifier: ResMed S5i
CPAP Pressure: 8/4
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: VPAP always makes me feel like my avatar.

Sex: Female

RE: desperate: stopping cpap for now
You really need a sleep study at the very least. Please don't be discouraged. I was extremely tired after CPAP therapy and the sleep doc said it's fine. I switched doctor's and when the new doctor read my SD card, he said that I was having too many central apnea events and he changed the machine that I used. He also had me tested genetically and found out that I had narcolepsy. I needed medication along with CPAP to keep me awake during the day.

If you have tried everything, maybe your set up is bothering you. I got a FitLife mask from Respironics and immediately, I was in heaven. It is a total face mask. No face dents or claustrophobia to disturb sleep.

So don't be discouraged. If you need to go off for a short time, that's okay, but get to the bottom of your being so exhausted. Your wife needs you to be functional so you can take care of her. All care givers need to take of themselves first and it's so easy to forget.

Good luck to both of you,
Kate

:Using cpap then vpap since Feb.2013,
Kate
08-18-2014 03:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Gross Update: Stopping PAP until well after surgery - breathing too compromised. Kris the Crone 8 642 07-10-2016 12:38 AM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  CHEST SORENESS AFTER STOPPING CPAP CPAPSC 3 444 06-09-2016 08:20 AM
Last Post: CPAPSC
Sad 1am, nightmares of heart stopping keeping me awake ezdrifler 57 4,680 01-22-2016 04:38 PM
Last Post: DariaVader
  Desperate revpappy 12 1,331 01-06-2016 04:39 PM
Last Post: revpappy
Wink [Equipment] stopping tube condensation SCnoel 7 1,078 12-05-2015 12:42 PM
Last Post: Mark Douglas
  Stopping CPAP with low O2 high CO2 marxxx 13 2,757 01-31-2015 03:24 PM
Last Post: brianwood619
  In desperate need of a Sleep Study Breezybealle 7 1,723 12-12-2014 10:02 PM
Last Post: Ghost1958