Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

deviated septum fixed
deviated septum fixed
I had a deviated septum and allergies. I actually liked the wisp nose mask that the sleep nurse really pushed, but would occasionally have to tear it from my face because i was completely unable to breath. Two days ago i have septum surgery/turbine reduced/sinuses opened (YAY!!!), and my right nostril was 90% blocked and left had polyps which surgeon fixed.

right now i am using a full face mask. I want to say that i hate it, but i suspect that i really just hate having a nose that feels so stuffy (still have stints in until tomorrow).

am i supposed to go for a new calibration thing or should i just make slow adjustments?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: deviated septum fixed
What machine do you have? I am assuming by System 1 that it is a Respironics machine? But what model? That will go a long way toward telling us what you have at your fingertips for resources.

However, I am unsure as to the what kind of adjustments you would need in that the surgery you describe didn't have anything to do with the throat which is really what the CPAP therapy is designed to treat. It might have an impact (I suspect slightly less likely). It might not (I suspect slightly more likely).

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok 8 checked it out and it says 560p on the bottom. Yeah they said tonsils and adenoids removal will help more but at the very least i should be able to breathe during the dayBig Grin

I tried to attach a pic but at first it said it was too big (it was 560k and 500k max) then I made it smaller and nowi cannot attach bc i have reached my attachment quota of 200kb.Huhsign
Post Reply Post Reply
The 560 is a fully data capable auto adjust machine so you should be able to check it all out yourself. No need to go through a "new calibration thing" (sleep center titration study).

If you are on straight CPAP setting at 13 cm, you may want to change that over to an APAP mode and set a lower pressure limit of 7-8 cm, probably leave the top setting at 13 or maybe bump it to 15. Then run it in that mode for a few days to a weeek and take a look at the data (Encore Basic by Respironics or Sleepyhead). I would give it time to all heal up before making the final call on what you need.

Putting it on auto with a lower limit of 7-8 cm will make it easier on your sinuses. It will only use the pressure it needs, when it needs it, and then goes back down when it is no longer needed. The straight CPAP pressure is pretty much the maximum pressure you will ever need, all the time.

Get the clinician manual from this board and you can see how to set up the machine how you need to. I would really go this direction before consenting to go back through the sleep study titration route.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi aquacifer,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy and recovering from your surgery.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Why not ask your ENT tomorrow when the stents come out. When The packing was removed from my septoplasty and turbinate reduction, the amount of air through my nose was unbelievable. The Wisp mask is now a viable option.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you my new friends.

I just adjusted my machine. I'll be checking out that software soon too but I have to find my card reader
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad you're able to breath better. I would take it slow on the pressure increases, at least until everything heals up.
Post Reply Post Reply
It will take around three weeks to a month and a half before you will find reliable data on your new pressure levels, as there is still postoperative swelling and other adjustments the body must first deal with, and a final, stable pressure may be as much as six months away, although a general trend will show up after six weeks or so.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all.

I was sentenced to about 11 non-pap nights Sad he said that my nose needs to drain out, and pap will push the guck farther in. Then he has a conference next week. i was like NOOOOOOOOOOO
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 145 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 208 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 585 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  CT showing deviated septum TryingToGetItRight 1 305 11-11-2023, 01:51 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Closed nostril side sleeping, deviated septum, PAP effects? sleepyzzz 7 793 07-13-2023, 10:40 PM
Last Post: sleepyzzz
  Fixed pressure BIPAP vrs Auto BIPAP (UARS) tugboatxd 0 690 03-29-2023, 04:13 PM
Last Post: tugboatxd
  [Equipment] Dreamwear mask irritation on nose septum Dean Harman 10 6,018 03-11-2023, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Cc1263

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.