Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

deviated septum fixed
RE: deviated septum fixed
(05-02-2015, 11:01 PM)aquacifer Wrote: Thank you all.

I was sentenced to about 11 non-pap nights Sad he said that my nose needs to drain out, and pap will push the guck farther in. Then he has a conference next week. i was like NOOOOOOOOOOO

aquacifer,
It does make sense that your nose would need time to heal, but it stinks that the doctor doesn't want you to use CPAP FOR 11 days. Unsure

The only thing you can do is try to sleep as elevated as you can, and don't sleep on your back. Run a humidifier in your room so you don't dry out.

Hope for a speedy healing!

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry to say it but it does not stink - welcome to the world of cutting into things and hitting them with chisels and stuff - the damage is pretty amazing after and it needs time to heal - it is inconvenient, but it is necessary, and something that has to be taken into account when undergoing such surgery. Moreover, unless you are supremely overweight, I don't think ten days without CPAP is life threatening. Awful ,yes, but not life threatening. I have had this operation, more extreme really, since I had to keep the tamponade in the nose for two whole weeks, and I cannot begin to express how painful two weeks of mouth breathing becomes - your throat begins to feel like it has been lacerated by knives in every breath, there is no relief from the pain, and worse. I swore I would never undergo even a mild version of that again, even though the deviation was not fully corrected and polyps can (and do) regrow. so, to be honest, if you have a clear breathing path through the nose, or at least one nostril, and must undergo ten days of SA, it is a small price to pay, and consider yourself lucky. Alternately get a FFM, block up your nose for the night, and breath through your mouth with good humidificated air, which will not lacerate your throat and you will no undergo SA.
Post Reply Post Reply
DocWils,
Please let me clarify my statement. Smile
I actually agree with aquacifer's doctor about not using CPAP for the 11 days.
Mt reference to saying "it stinks" means I feel bad that he was just starting CPAP and now has to stop for awhile. Of course healing comes first.
That is probably something that aquacifer and his Doctor should have talked about prior to surgery.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Stink is another problem in nasal surgery, BTW - if they don't get the shape right, or take out too much, the bacteria can build up in the nasal cavity and cause what we call "stink-nose" in the biz. So considering the fact fact all this is done looking up a narrow hole, I am often amazed at how often they get it right. I often thought I had it easier, because I can open up a clear line of sight and expose everything I need to operate on (although today we tend to go more for keyhole surgery, even in orthopaedics, but you get used to it). If your nose was somewhere else on your body and not your face, they would have cut a clean line along the nostril to open it up for the restructuring, leaving a nice scar after, but thankfully, ENT surgeons consider the disfigurement potential and try to find ways to cut around in there without leaving a visible mark, since it is on your face.

I am pretty sure that aquacifer's doc must have discussed this with him, or he was given a leaflet with everything - that is pretty much always the case for any op. If not, it was an oversight, or the doc wasn't aware he was on CPAP. Alas, the reality is that nasal surgery is a bit messy, like any surgery is, and event the slightest pressure after can be a problem. One patient of mine had some nasal surgery done for something or other and was more or less warned she could not catch a cold for 6 months after or it would undo much of the benefits. And this was in February. Certain that she had misheard her doc, I called her doc and was told for that particular case, it was so. I think aquacifer got off lightly. Given the discomfort I had, I did too.
Post Reply Post Reply
once again thank you. He said i had a 90% blockage in my left nostril and 2 polyps in the right. My left one is the one i could breath through. He said polyps weren't even visable in the CT and he only saw them when he was up there. I am a little worried that i still cannot breath through the right, but it will probably just take more time. I am normally a little more patient, but with this I find myself very much on the opposite end of that spectrum.

Post Reply Post Reply
Im going to go thru polyp surgery for the 2nd time in 11yrs. First was major with all cavities full of em. Upper and lower.
It wasnt that horrible. But now with the rapid O2 drop i have no cpap isnt an option so ive no idea what the surgeon will say about it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2015, 08:22 PM)aquacifer Wrote: once again thank you. He said i had a 90% blockage in my left nostril and 2 polyps in the right. My left one is the one i could breath through. He said polyps weren't even visable in the CT and he only saw them when he was up there. I am a little worried that i still cannot breath through the right, but it will probably just take more time. I am normally a little more patient, but with this I find myself very much on the opposite end of that spectrum.

Ton of healing to do still, old son, so don't worry - the swelling takes time to go down, and as I said, they hammer around in there - a real coal mine, so you have to be patient in terms of the swelling going down.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 145 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 209 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 585 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  CT showing deviated septum TryingToGetItRight 1 305 11-11-2023, 01:51 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Closed nostril side sleeping, deviated septum, PAP effects? sleepyzzz 7 793 07-13-2023, 10:40 PM
Last Post: sleepyzzz
  Fixed pressure BIPAP vrs Auto BIPAP (UARS) tugboatxd 0 690 03-29-2023, 04:13 PM
Last Post: tugboatxd
  [Equipment] Dreamwear mask irritation on nose septum Dean Harman 10 6,022 03-11-2023, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Cc1263

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.