Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

different masks dramatically change AHI scores
different masks dramatically change AHI scores
Right after Easter, I finally retired my 10 year old fixed pressure (12) Philips Respironics REMstar+ CPAP machine and bought a new Icon+ Auto (please don't judge me - I have little to no insurance and had to pay out of pocket.)  I had used an Airfit P10 mask for years (since it came on the market), and haven't felt too bad (but not too good.)  I like the minimal contact and comfort of the Airfit P10.
The only report I could get from the REMstar was how many hours the machine was on. 
My first 3 nights with the auto machine was not fun (set to 11-16 pressure.)  My lowest AHI score was 22.  After 2 (zombie-like) weeks, I couldn't break 10.  On the advice of a friend, I bought a Swift FX Nano.  I was instantly getting 5's and 6's, but it wore a very sore spot on the underside of my nose.  I stopped by a local DME shop with my Sleepyhead charts and they recommended a DreamWear mask (best of both worlds?)  Yes, it was more comfortable, but after a week of trying, I couldn't get lower than a 10.  So I've been back to the Swift FX Nano for the last week.  I'm finally consistently between 3 and 4 each night, but I really miss the comfort of the Airfit P10.  A Google search churned up many posts stating that there should be no difference in AHI score with different types of masks (unless leakage is a factor.)   Ironically, Sleepyhead reports that I often have major leakage with the Nano, and almost always ZERO leakage with the Airfit P10.  Yet the P10 scores are twice the AHI of the Nano!  
Is this something I should be obsessing about, or should I just shut up and let my body continue to get used to the new machine a few more weeks?
I definitely feel BETTER during the days I wear the Nano (and score lower AHIs.)  This is so maddening...
Thanks for reading this.  Sorry to vent - just looking to get my life (and energy) back.
Blessings,
RM
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: different masks dramatically change AHI scores
Hi, I don't have a good answer for why you're getting such drastically different AHI scores with different masks, but I want to suggest you check out Supplier 31 (Supplier List link at top of this page) for liners and perhaps strap protectors for the Swift Nano mask. If this one works best for you than maybe making it more comfortable will solve the dilemma. Good luck! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
That is good advise.

Post Reply Post Reply
I too get different numbers with different masks , I have troubles with the nasal, but i have two different full face, one airfit 10 and fitlife total face mask. I seam to do better with the total fit face mask also no nite time allergies with the fitlife.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-01-2017, 07:28 AM)Gary1of2 Wrote: I too get different numbers with different masks , I have troubles with the nasal, but i have two different full face, one airfit 10 and fitlife total face mask. I seam to do better with the total fit face mask also no nite time allergies with the fitlife.
Gary you should add your fitlife total face mask to your profile.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board.

Resmed and Philips machines have an adjustment for the type of mask. I don't know if your F&P Icon also has this, but it may be part of the answer to your problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the advice.  Glad I'm not alone.
From what I can see (in the manual and in standard and clinical settings) I don't see any mask settings for the Icon+ Auto.  I'll keep digging.
I've tried some REMzzz liners for the Nano, but they're so oversized it's uncomfortable.  I trimmed one down with scissors once, but it tickled my nose and lasted about 15 minutes. I'll try it again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi papmeistergeneral,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck as you continue CPAP therapy.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Just my two cents but I have a ResMed Quattro Air FFM and love it. I am new to the PAP therapy and thought I would have a much tougher time acclimating but it has gone surprisingly well for me thankfully, mostly because the mask is very light and seals very well once you adjust it properly.

So, if you have the opportunity to try one I think you may really like it.

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,431 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,706 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 344 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 318 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn
  [Symptoms] Recent Symptom - Settings Change? MamaK55 1 164 02-10-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 323 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] Pressure max/min clarification and change I made richapple 5 366 01-28-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: richapple

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.